The blisters on foot are one of the ailments we suffer more frequently. These annoying lumps can appear both on the heel, the sole, or the upper part and are a consequence of the skin rubbing against the shoe when walking or exercising, in most cases. Its appearance makes it difficult to walk normally, and it is common to make a mistake when trying to eliminate it, such as removing the skin. It is advisable to adopt a series of measures to prevent its reappearance and know how to treat the blister. Therefore, in this FastlyHealarticle, we will explain some tips for treating a blister on the foot.
Our feet are in constant motion, and in the case of practicing a sport, they become a fundamental tool that must be cared for accordingly. When our skin suffers from excess friction, it reacts by filling the space of the two layers of the skin with liquid: epidermis and dermis. The blisters can be painless or accompanied by pain, redness, or skin lifting. When they appear on the feet, the most common is that it is due to the continuous friction of the skin with the shoes and, therefore, we must follow a series of tips to prevent and treat them. Usually, these lumps with liquid heal by themselves after a while, although we can carry out a series of practices that facilitate their disappearance.
How to prevent blisters
Whether we are used to enhancing sports or walking, preventing blisters will be one of the most important factors we must consider. On the one hand, we must choose suitable footwear where our feet feel comfortable. When we buy new shoes, we must alternate them during the first days with other shoes until they adapt to our feet. In most cases, blisters appear during the first few days of wearing new shoes. In the same way, people who do sports frequently should avoid new shoes on competition days and old alternate shoes with new ones during training. Also, wearing socks is another factor to consider in avoiding rubbing the feet with shoes and preventing blisters since they act as a barrier between them.
Facilitate their demise
If measures have not been taken and your feet present a blister, do not despair since it does not pose a serious problem beyond the pain and discomfort it can generate. If we want to treat the blisters on foot and facilitate their disappearance, we can choose to contribute to the drainage of the fluid contained in the blister. To do this, we can take a needle and puncture the surface of the skin of the blister without sinking the hand excessively. The objective is to let the liquid flow out without damaging the skin or causing it to tear; the skin of the blister must remain to protect the wound from which it formed; we want to remove the liquid. Once we have extracted the juice, we must disinfect the area with an antiseptic, such as iodine. We gently impregnate a cotton ball with the antiseptic to apply it to the blister. Afterward, we must cover the blister with gauze or plaster. We must avoid adherent bandages that can stick in the blister area since it will be easier to change them.
Home remedies for blisters
There are several home remedies to treat blisters once they have appeared.
- Aloe vera. One of the plants with the most powerful applications for the skin. In the case of blisters, it will allow the wound to heal sooner, and these remain to relieve pain and itching. We must apply a little aloe vera gel on the blister without pressing and cover it with a bandage.
- Sodium bicarbonate. Another home remedy for foot blisters is baking soda. We wash the feet with hot water and dry them. Afterwards, we mix a little water with a tablespoon of bicarbonate and a little hydrogen peroxide. We wet a cotton ball with the mixture and soaked the blister for several days. This will allow for the treat the blisters facilitating their healing.
- Garlic. Known for its antiseptic and disinfectant properties, garlic is an excellent remedy for curing foot blisters. We must mince three cloves of garlic and add them to a couple of gauzes. We apply it to the blister and cover it with the gauze for 15 minutes. Then we remove the gauze and clean the garlic by washing the feet in the water. In this article, you can discover the benefits of garlic for our health. When to go to the doctor?
The important thing when treating foot blisters is to prevent them from becoming infected. Therefore, it is essential to take care of the blister by applying an antiseptic and keeping the area clean, in addition to avoiding possible scratches until it disappears. If the blister increases in size, instead of reducing or presenting a very reddened appearance, we must go to the doctor because it is most likely that it has been infected, so its healing will be somewhat more complicated.
Aspects to avoid
Several erroneous practices are conceived as effective in treating blisters on the feet, but they can lead to infections or delay their healing.
- Please do not use a thread through the blister, as it is ineffective in removing fluid and can cause infection.
- Do not use the footwear that has generated the blisters until the blister has healed completely.
- Keep the vial clean and avoid contact with any dirty object.
- Do not wash your feet with boiling water or substances that can irritate the skin.
- Protect the area with a bandage to avoid contact with external agents after each cure.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tips to treat a blister on foot, we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.