Scoliosis is a condition that occurs in the spine. This presents a curvature to the sides, either in the shape of an “S” or a “C”, compromising the individual to consequences such as reduced sports performance, growth problems, neuralgia or chronic back pain, among other possible effects. Most scoliosis emerge from before the baby is born, so your early care can be decisive so that that child who is in full growth can have a healthy life without so much pain.
Among the resources to combat scoliosis are therapeutic exercises and stretching, which can mostly be done at home, helping to reduce these curvatures and relax the muscles that can press it. Continue in this FastlyHealarticle to learn about simple back stretches with scoliosis .
Basics of exercises against scoliosis
As we already mentioned, scoliosis is a problem that involves both the alignment of the spinal cord, as well as the muscular systems that are affected by this misalignment and, in turn, feed back to the scoliosis, increasing the risks that it will worsen or become more painful due to to the compression exerted on it. Regarding pain, the central nervous system as well as the peripheral nerves that leave the medulla are also compromised and produce any other variety of symptoms and diseases.
This irregularity can then place the body in a twisted position and away from its natural symmetry, causing the muscles on either side of the torso to have different arrangements and therefore the movements and stretches on each side of the torso must be treated separately or different.
For this reason, between exercises and stretches against scoliosis it is important to differentiate asymmetric and symmetrical :
- Asymmetrics are those that produce a different movement for each side of the back involved in the movement.
- The symmetrical ones produce a single movement for both sides of the back.
Below we will see that both types of movements are necessary, although those with an asymmetric characteristic tend to predominate for the treatment of scoliosis, since they allow addressing very accentuated or particular cases, in the face of which symmetric movements could be ineffective or counterproductive.
Scoliosis: corrective exercises with push-ups
Leaning on your knees and hands, resting the first in alignment just below the hips. The hands are more open than the shoulders, in such a way that you could do push-ups from that position without the elbows exceeding the hands. You will then perform push-ups , descending until your elbows reach a 90º angle.
Do the rhythmic movement with your breath. The fingers of the hands point forward. It is suggested 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
This is a symmetrical movement that seeks to adjust the back at the dorsal level and relieve tension around it.
Cat stretch against scoliosis
This stretch begins with the same posture as above, with the exception that the hands are shoulder-width apart (just below), with the arms straight (without flexing). From this position:
- Inhale through your nose while hunching your posture by contracting your abdomen, as if trying to see your belly button, as your head is directed downward and inverted.
- Exhale and return to the starting position with your back horizontal, slightly arched downward (natural kyphosis).
- Do 3 sets of at least 10 reps each.
This is an extremely relaxing exercise for the entire back, including the cervical, which can accumulate stresses caused by scoliosis and deviations in the lower spine.
Physiotherapy exercises for scoliosis: bending the spine to the sides
This stretch is similar to the previous one, except that the spinal flexions would no longer be vertical but on the horizontal axis, with the body slightly inclined .
Start in the same posture as the first exercise with your hands wider than shoulder width apart, and lowered. From that low flexed posture, you twist your back to both sides, and your head follows the twist of your spine.
Already here we are in the presence of an asymmetric stretch , therefore it depends on the severity of the scoliosis, it may be correct that you only do the movement taking your back to the side where the central axis spine is twisted . That is, if the scoliosis inclination is in a ‘C’ to the left side, it twists the spine to the left side in the movement, then bringing the head to the right side. Then you return to the starting position in the middle.
Keep the movement in sync with your breathing rate. Do 3 sets of 10 reps on each side or 10 reps in one direction, depending on the severity of the scoliosis.
These first 3 exercises in horizontal and semi-inverted posture when bending in the flexion, allow to reduce and counteract the constant effort of the muscles against gravity.
Sitting on the heels: arm stretches with umbilical point contraction
For this exercise, sit on your heels. If you find it difficult to achieve or maintain this position, place a cushion under the instep or between the heels and the buttocks. If it continues to be difficult, there are special benches for this position or you do it sitting on the end of a chair.
- Go up and stretch your arms and bring both palms together above your head, keeping your elbows at the sides of your head.
- Exhale fully contracting the umbilical point and abdominals, raising the rib cage to the maximum with the contraction.
- Inhale and relax the stretch.
- Continue the cycle for 3 sets of 13 repetitions each.
Considerations and Warnings
- Preferably perform this stretch with your eyes closed to internally visualize the movement.
- Wait at least an hour after any meal for his execution.
- Remember to keep your arms straight so that the effect comes better and faster.
- Hands should be kept together
- The number of repetitions indicated is very basic. You can increase it if you are comfortable with the exercise.
Scoliosis, recommended sports: basketball and swimming
Even more than swimming, basketball is highly recommended against scoliosis, as it allows elongation and dorsal stretching, adding to this entertainment as a component in favor, in the case of children and adolescents, as well as being valuable as a physical activity.
- Care must be taken not to give priority to competitiveness while the possible risks of worsening scoliosis are not sure and supervised by a specialist, in relation to the severity and characteristics of each case.
- Ensure the use of quality sports shoes in good condition to cushion the jumps.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Stretches for the back with scoliosis , we recommend that you enter our category of Bones, Joints and Muscles .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.