It is common to go to the doctor for feeling pain in the ribs, it is a frequent discomfort that prevents even the most basic of breathing, coughing, even sneezing. It can appear as pricks or even intense pain, hence the importance of having a medical diagnosis.
This pain seriously affects the ribs and can spread to the bones that together with them make up the rib cage (sternum and vertebrae). It is important not to neglect this discomfort, at FastlyHeal , we show you everything you need about rib pain when breathing, its causes and we show you how to successfully relieve it.
Causes of rib pain when breathing
Before knowing the causes for which this discomfort may appear, it must be taken into account that the pain is not typical of the ribs, but that it occurs in the joint or in the chest muscles. The most common causes of rib pain when breathing are:
- Muscle overload: due to being overweight or, sometimes, due to an improperly performed body movement. It is normal or frequent for this to happen in the floating ribs, which are only attached to the vertebrae. This particularity is transformed in a certain way into vertebral sensitivity causing pain.
- Costochondritis : it is nothing more than a musculoskeletal disease, this medical term defines the pain of the cartilage that joins the ribs with the sternum. This pain can last from a few weeks to several months. Generally, there is no permanent problem, but the pain can recur. It is broadly related to lifestyle (stress).
- Intercostal neuralgia: pain often of an intense nature that occurs between two consecutive ribs, characterized by inflammation and pain of the nerves. These 11 intercostal nerves are born in the spine and go to the ribs, that is why the pain can extend all the way. This, in turn, can be caused by trauma or other causes.
- Angina pectoris : caused by the decrease in oxygen reaching the heart. It is a common symptom of coronary artery disease.
- Rib Fissure – Also called a rib fracture. It is the product of an impact or trauma or bad movement, this in turn generates pain in the ribs when breathing.
- Pneumonia – Widely related to rib pain when breathing, this can reveal muscle wasting.
Other symptoms of rib pain when breathing
The symptoms that accompany rib pain when breathing will depend on the triggering cause of the pain and this in turn will guide us to make a proper medical diagnosis. Some of these symptoms are:
- Pain when moving
- Pain when touching the chest (palpation).
- Pain of an oppressive nature.
- Pain that worsens with deep breathing.
- Lump somewhere in the chest.
- Feeling short of breath
- Tingling sensation in the chest.
- Pain that is transmitted to the jaw and back.
How to remove pain in the ribs when breathing
Relieving the pain in the ribs at home will be appropriate once we go to the doctor, as you can see, the causes are varied and the medical diagnosis is important, so you should not ignore the fact of going to a professional in search of help. Measures that can be taken to alleviate this discomfort include:
- I analgesics before surgery musicians who can temporarily relieve pain. Only basic pain relievers are recommended before the doctor’s visit, such as ibuprofen or paracetamol.
- Rest and rest is extremely useful for people who have rib pain when breathing, in fact, the doctor can add some recommendations to rest, such as bandaging and immobilization with a pillow to relieve pain.
- Avoid intense exercise so as not to worsen symptoms, it is recommended to avoid playing sports.
- Apply warm water to the area of pain to relieve symptoms.
- Avoid being exposed to sudden changes in temperature.
- Avoid heavy load for about 10 days
Natural remedies to relieve rib pain when breathing
In addition to the above and the medical instructions, there are a number of home remedies that can be helpful in relieving rib pain by breathing more quickly:
- Rosemary: reduces cartilage pain, it also has antioxidant properties. It can be used in the daily diet or in tea (3 cups a day).
- Cú rcuma: it has anti-inflammatory properties, ideal for relieving chest pain. Half a tablespoon in a glass of milk, boil it and add a little honey to eat.
- Alfalfa: useful in case of angina pectoris, as it stimulates cardiac blood flow and improves respiratory health. It should be ingested as an infusion in the middle of the morning.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus oil used topically decreases the response of the nerves in the given area where it is applied.
- Arnica: adjuvant in the treatment of localized pain. Its extract can be taken as an infusion or applied, in addition, as an ointment.
The ideal is to remain calm, not despair and immediately go to the doctor to have the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Consideration should be given to the possible complications that exist if the pain in the ribs is not paid attention to when breathing.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Rib pain when breathing: causes and how to remove it , we recommend that you enter our Lung and respiratory tract category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.