Ranitidine is a drug classified among H2 antagonists and works by preventing the production of gastric acid. It is marketed under different names, depending on the laboratory that makes them and is usually over the counter, but this may change depending on the country where you are and the dose you need. Ranitidine is taken orally, it can be tablets, effervescent or syrup, it should be noted that it is not recommended to take ranitidine without medical supervision for more than two weeks. At FastlyHealwe show you what ranitidine is for and the recommended dose .
Table of Contents
What is ranitidine for
Ranitidine is used to treat ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux , a condition in which there is a sensation of hot liquid that travels through the esophagus and can even reach the mouth and produce a sour taste. It is also used to treat lesions in the esophagus and for stomach conditions in which too much acid is produced. Ranitidine over-the-counter is generally used as a preventive measure and to treat heartburn symptoms by reducing the amount of acid the stomach produces during digestion.
Another use of ranitidine is to treat bleeding in the digestive tract, to prevent ulcers caused by stress, or to treat damage caused by the consumption of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
The recommended dose of ranitidine will depend on the condition to be treated:
- Ulcers : take 150 mg twice a day or 300 mg once a day at night for up to 6 weeks.
- Gastroesophageal reflux : 150 mg twice a day or 300 mg at night, for up to 12 weeks. If the condition is moderate to severe, 150 mg 4 times a day is recommended.
- Esophageal hemorrhages : 50 mg every 6 or 8 hours
It should be noted that these doses must be supervised by a specialist and the recommendation is to take it between 30 or 60 minutes before eating foods that may cause heartburn . In the case of children, the dose will depend on the ailment and the kilograms that it weighs. If you are a dialysis patient, the recommended dose is 150 mg per day, after dialysis . On the other hand, if you forgot to take the medicine, take it as soon as possible. If it’s time for your next feed, skip the one you missed , but never take a double dose .
Before taking ranitidine
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to any compounds.
- Let him know if you are taking any other medications, including vitamins, supplements, or herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had diseases such as porphyria, kidney or liver conditions.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning to get pregnant, in case you get pregnant while taking ranitidine you need to call your doctor immediately.
Ranitidine Side Effects
- Stomach ache.
Contraindications of ranitidine
- Do not use ranitidine if you are hypersensitive to the compound.
- Avoid if there is a history of acute porphyria, as it can appear.
- Do not use in case of liver failure and in treatments lasting more than 5 days because it can increase liver enzymes.
- You should be careful if you suffer from kidney failure and consult your doctor about the recommended dose for this case.
- Avoid during pregnancy and lactation, use only under medical supervision.
- Increases complications in case of generalized infections.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Ranitidine: what it is for and dosage , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.