Nowadays, more and more people suffer from any condition in the colon, highlighting among them colitis or irritable bowel , and it is precisely for this that pinaverium bromide is used, although you may have heard very little about this medicine .
Pinaverium bromide is a drug that is part of the group of spasmolytics, acting effectively against colic and intestinal disorders, however, the list of uses for this drug is getting longer. In this FastlyHealarticle we will talk about everything related to pinaverium bromide: what it is for and how it is taken . Read on and find out everything!
Table of Contents
Pinaverium bromide: what is it for?
Pinaverium bromide is an antispasmodic and antidyspeptic designed to treat problems related to digestion and gastrointestinal transit. This drug acts directly on smooth muscle generating a motor response in the colon.
It is known that pinaverium bromide reduces the duration and intensity of contractions that occur after the presence of colitis or irritable bowel, and also improves all the symptoms that accompany the discomfort related to this condition.
In this sense, the main uses of pinaverium bromide are:
- Decreases the duration of intestinal transit.
- Facilitates bowel movements in the presence of constipation.
- Relaxes the gastrointestinal transit.
- It improves the motility movement disorders of the esophagus, that is, it improves the problems that may arise in the route of the food bolus from the pharynx to the stomach.
- It also allows to act on the inability of the gallbladder to empty its contents normally.
- Relieves irritable bowel with all associated symptoms, for example abdominal pain, constipation or diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
There are several uses that pinaverium bromide can be given, therefore, medical evaluation and its indication before being administered is important.
Pinaverium bromide: how to take it
The bromide pinaverium comes in presentations tablets 50 and 100 mg , and you can find different trade names such as:
- Alevian duo.
Generally, the treatment indicated by the doctor will consist of administering the pinaverium bromide every 8 hours in case of availability of the 50 mg tablet, the increase in the dose will depend on the response of the patient to the ingestion of the medicine. In addition, some recommendations must be clear when taking pinaverium bromide:
- It is recommended to administer the drug during meals with a glass of water.
- The maximum daily dose is 300 mg a day opening will be strictly indicated by the doctor depending on the use of the drug.
- For no reason, double the dose if you have missed a dose of this drug.
- Each tablet should be swallowed whole and should not be sucked or chewed.
- To date, the use of pinaverium bromide is not recommended in children.
Side effects of pinaverium bromide
It is important to bear in mind that the administration of any medication can bring with it the presence of some side effects . In this case, after administration of pinaverium bromide, only 1% of patients have side effects, among which are:
- Abdominal swelling
- Abdominal pain.
- Allergy in the skin.
- Feeling of fullness in the stomach.
- Nausea and / or vomiting.
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty to swallow.
- Chest pain.
- Sore throat
Regardless of the side effect that may occur with the administration of pinaverium bromide, it is important to immediately contact the doctor who will indicate to suspend it or decide to administer a drug that counteracts the presence of some side effects depending on the severity of each one of them.
What should I keep in mind before taking pinaverium bromide
Before starting the treatment with pinaverium bromide you should take into consideration some observations in particular:
- Discuss with the doctor if there is any other disease and if medications are taken for the same to avoid possible drug interactions that make it difficult to absorb some of the medications that are being administered
- Also notify your doctor if you have lactose intolerance
- Tell the specialist if you have allergic reactions.
- If the medicine is not taken with enough water, it is likely to irritate the lining of the throat when swallowed.
- Notify the specialist if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- The medication must be administered as directed by a health professional.
- Do not consume this medicine without the advice of the specialist.
- It is not indicated for use in pediatric patients.
Without a doubt, the best way to take pinaverium bromide is under the indication of the specialist, remember that in the presence of any adverse effect, do not hesitate to go to him immediately. The specialist is the one who will determine if it is necessary to suspend the drug or indicate some other drug to counteract the adverse effects that may occur.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Pinaverium bromide: what it is for and how it is taken , we recommend that you enter our Medication and medical tests category
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.