Sideremia is defined as the amount of iron present in the blood serum and is called serum iron. This serum is the yellowish liquid that remains after allowing the Blood to clot and removing the clot. The serum iron concentration is higher in men than in women and children under one year of age, but, in general, the value ranges between 60 and 180 µg / dl and, when the amount is lower, 30 µg / dl. Low sideremia or hyposideremia is considered.
If the cause of hyposideremia is prolonged or very serious, there is a risk of developing iron-deficiency anemia; it is essential to know how to detect the symptoms of this condition and assist the doctor in normalizing the amount of iron in the Blood. If you want to know more about low sideremia: symptoms, we invite you to read the following article by FastlyHeal.
Table of Contents
When the level of iron in the blood serum is low, it is possible to notice it through a series of symptoms, whose intensity and moment of appearance can indicate the degree of low sideremia since the insufficiency of this essential mineral in the organism causes that there is less oxygen supply in the different tissues, altering their function. The sideremy low reflected mainly by:
- Soft spot.
- Tiredness, especially after physical exertion, can become chronic.
- Irritability or other emotional disorders, such as depression.
- Trouble concentrating
- Pale skin
- Increased heart rate due to overexertion of the heart to circulate Blood and equalize oxygen requirements.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Cracks at the corners of the lips.
- Brittle nails
- The impulse to want to eat strange things, for example, ice or dirt. This disorder is known as malacia or pica.
Causes of low serum iron
There are several reasons why you can suffer from hyposideremia. They are not necessarily related to the lack of iron in the body but may be involved with some alterations that do not allow this mineral to be absorbed correctly and, in this case, requires greater medical control. Among the causes of low blood pressure, the following stand out:
- A low iron diet could include foods poor in this mineral, as happens in some vegetarian diets that are prolonged or in those who have celiac disease.
- The body cannot quickly replace the significant losses of red blood cells and, therefore, iron with heavy menstrual bleeding.
- During pregnancy, there is a more substantial expenditure on iron due to the requirement of this mineral for the development of pregnancy.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding or hemorrhages prevent the adequate absorption of iron in the body and cause the loss of it.
- Administration of certain medications may interfere with the absorption of iron or alter the serum iron analysis. For example, testosterone, cholestyramine, colchicine, and some antibiotics.
- Other conditions, mainly chronic inflammations, such as Crohn’s disease, or an advanced stage of neoplasia.
Treatment for low sideremia
To know the iron level in the blood serum, a blood sample is drawn from the vein, to be later analyzed in the laboratory. This test is recommended in the morning on an empty stomach when the iron concentration is highest and to evaluate if you suffer from a deficiency. Also, it is essential to inform your doctor if you are taking any drug, as it could affect the test result.
When low serum levels are determined, the treatment will depend on the cause of it. If it is a deficiency, in general, the specialist can prescribe the intake of iron supplements, whose dose and duration of treatment will be indicated only by him, without resorting to self-medication; otherwise, it could not improve the situation or cause an excess of the mineral, producing more alterations. It is pretty standard for the doctor to prescribe iron in pregnancy. You may also recommend a moderate intake of iron-rich foods.
On the other hand, if the hyposideremia is due to malabsorption of iron or loss of it due to an alteration of the organism, the doctor must grant a treatment to keep this condition under control and administer iron in supplements a complement. Whereas, if it is a drug that lowers the iron level in the blood serum, it is enough for the doctor to suspend its intake and prescribe another that is adjusted to the health condition.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Low sideraemia: symptoms , we recommend that you enter our Blood, heart and circulation category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.