The leg pain is common and may appear sporadically or permanently. Leg pain is usually linked to problems in the bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons, as well as blood vessels and nerves. It can be very annoying if it is an intense pain and can be detrimental when performing all kinds of tasks in our day to day. Pain is usually experienced in different ways: throbbing, burning sensation, severe pain, etc. In FastlyHealwe will explain the causes of leg pain as well as some remedies that we can carry out to alleviate it.
Most common symptoms of leg pain
When we feel pain in our legs, we usually experience the following symptoms:
- Burning sensation . Pain from the lower back down the leg. It is a pain that on many occasions can be very strong, causing great discomfort and it is normal that it is a consequence of the irritation of a nerve root in the lumbar spine, known as sciatica .
- Tingling in the legs . It is the sensation that your legs fall asleep, like when we are in a bad position and after a while we do not feel the leg because the blood circulation has been cut off. This symptom harms the sufferer because the leg or legs make it difficult to perform any action .
- Permanent pain . It is the pain produced in the buttocks and that can be accompanied by leg pain. It is usually a nerve pain and can be relieved by walking for a while or by making gentle movements.
- Weakness or heaviness . When you suffer from this symptom, it is very difficult to walk normally , since the action of lifting the leg is impeded by its heaviness.
Causes of leg pain
Among the most common causes of leg pain are:
- Bone fractures , such as: tibia fracture.
- Low levels of sodium, calcium, potassium, or magnesium in the blood. It influences the state of the bones and joints.
- Perform excessive physical activity , causing fatigue or muscle strain. The muscle suffers after being in the same position for a long period of time.
- Tendinitis . Inflammation of the tendon, responsible for joining the muscle with the bone.
- Cramps . Pain due to an overload or from receiving a blow.
- Atherosclerosis . It is a pain caused when the flow of blood to the arteries is blocked. It is pronounced when exercising and disappears when resting.
- Deep venous thrombosis. It is one of the causes of leg pain at rest; They are clots in the blood produced by being at rest for a long period of time.
- Inflammation of the leg joints caused by arthritis or gout.
- Damaged nerve . A part of the nerves do not work properly causing injuries. Diabetes or excessive alcohol consumption can damage the nerves in the legs causing pain.
- Varices . Inflammation of the veins that prevent the proper circulation of blood causing swelling in the veins .
Other less common causes of leg pain
In the previous point we explained the causes of the most common leg pain. At this point we will focus on the less common causes, but also to take into account:
- Osteosarcoma . It is a type of tumor in cancerous bone . It usually appears in children of growing age.
- Osteoporosis . It occurs when bone tissue deteriorates and there is low bone mass. It is a chronic disease that mainly affects women.
- Non-cancerous tumors . Cysts on the femur or other parts of the leg.
- Legg-Calve-Perthes disease . A part of the femur known as the femoral head, does not receive enough blood and causes the death of the bone .
Lumbar disc herniation, causes severe leg pain
Pain radiating to the sciatic nerve , leg and foot caused by the pressure of the herniated disc on the weakest point of the disc. There are other nerves that can also be affected. Depending on where the herniated disc occurs, the symptoms may be different. There are different non-surgical treatments that relieve herniated disc pain. When the pain is very high or even disabling, a surgical procedure known as a microdiscectomy may be performed to remove part of the disc and relieve pressure on the nerve.
Another cause of leg pain. It occurs when one vertebra in the spine moves forward over the next vertebra. This usually causes a nerve to be pinched causing pain in the legs. The solution may lie in going to the physiotherapist and resting for a while. However, in those cases in which the pain continues, surgical intervention is usually necessary.
Leg pain: remedies
Depending on the pain we have, we can take into account some home remedies that will alleviate the pain. Keep in mind, that depending on the damage you suffer, these tips will not be effective and you will need medical attention.
- Some medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can relieve pain and inflammation.
- Apply cold on the leg. It will help reduce inflammation in the affected area and reduce pain.
- Lift the leg. Putting the leg high will allow the circulation not to exert as much pressure on it.
- Massage the leg to stimulate blood circulation and relieve cramps.
When to go to the doctor if my legs hurt?
Now you know the causes of leg pain and its symptoms, so you will have more information when assessing what ailment you may suffer from. You should see a doctor if:
- You have a fever.
- The leg has a purple or black color.
- You feel swelling and pain in your leg.
- Your leg feels cold or pale.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Leg pain: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.