The statement that the second brain is in the intestines is no coincidence, and the influence generated by body imbalance and stress on digestion is clear. And if to this are added the unhealthy eating habits that are usually had on a daily basis, the result is body imbalances of all kinds.
Among the diseases that we see today, irritable bowel is one of the most frequent. This presents itself in crisis and is related to both food and stress and emotional distress.
Do you want to know a little more about this problem? Are you interested in knowing how long an irritable bowel crisis lasts and what to do when you present it? So, don’t hesitate to keep reading this FastlyHealarticle.
Table of Contents
What is irritable bowel and its symptoms
Digestion is a complex process in which not only the organs that are in the abdomen intervene, but it is clearly influenced by the mind and emotions.
It is essential to maintain body balance that digestion is working properly. For this, not only eating habits must be taken into account, but also the management of thoughts and the emotional sphere. One of the consequences of having unhealthy habits and not being in harmony is irritable bowel.
It manifests itself with periods of diarrhea and others of constipation , with unstable digestion and a series of discomforts.
Among the most common irritable bowel symptoms are:
- Abdominal distension.
- Alternation between diarrhea and constipation.
- Fecal matter with mucus.
How long can an irritable bowel attack last?
An irritable bowel crisis is when diarrhea and abdominal discomfort appear in any of its forms. When these symptoms occur more than 3 days a month for more than 3 consecutive months, it is called irritable bowel.
The duration of an irritable bowel crisis varies greatly from one person to another. Some people may have pain and bloating for 1 day and others have chronic discomfort for 10 days .
Naming the imbalance you have does not really change what you can or cannot do about your problem and having these discomforts for 2 days a month is just as important as if you have them for longer.
In any case, you must become aware of what you feel and delve into the search for what makes you bad to modify it.
What to do in an irritable bowel crisis?
If you are already in an irritable bowel crisis, you should try to improve as soon as possible, how to achieve it:
- Seek calmness of mind : becoming aware that your mind is powerful is a fundamental tool to handle crises. Practicing concentration on the breath or being more present in the activities you do is essential to quiet the mind.
- Drink only water or natural infusions : the cumin infusion is the most suitable to benefit the intestines, improve digestion and eliminate toxic products from the body.
- Choose light foods : For a meal to be easy to digest, it must be proportionate and made with simple ingredients. On those days you can choose: rice water, brown rice, yamaní, basmati or red, a light protein such as mung beans or lentils, one or two vegetables cooked in their own juice (wok) and season with what facilitates the digestion such as cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek, peppercorns. In the following article, you can see the Forbidden Foods for irritable bowel .
Causes of irritable bowel attacks
As we have told you, there are several factors that can generate this imbalance.
Today, it is easier to eat foods that harm us than those that nourish and benefit us. On the other hand, ingesting them improperly also makes digestion difficult.
Pay attention to the following habits, they all cause illness and poor digestion:
- Consumption of difficult to digest or harmful foods such as processed, refined flours, refined sugar, excess dairy or meat, coffee, black tea, alcohol, tobacco, etc.
- Bad combination of foods such as, for example, the consumption of different proteins in the same dish (meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes) or fruits of different types at the same time.
- Eat fruit after meals.
- Eating large amounts of food.
- Eating too often without having digested the previous meal (you must wait 4 hours between one meal and the next).
- Eat very fast.
- Chewing and salting food insufficiently.
- Take a bath after eating.
- Late dinner.
Anxiety, stress, depression, or any other disorder in which the mind is restless clearly conditions and disrupts digestion.
Our body needs adequate rest, but you may ask yourself, what does adequate rest look like ?:
- At night : the body performs cleaning and repair functions during sleep. Therefore, it is important to go to bed early (until 11 is reasonable). Daytime sleep weakens the body and promotes imbalances.
- Sufficient quantity : between 6 and 8 hours is what is necessary to achieve body balance. Less or more is harmful to health.
- Avoid screens before going to sleep : they generate a stimulus in the brain that lasts for a while after turning them off. That is why it is not advisable to use them in the 3 hours prior to night rest.
Other tips to improve irritable bowel
The first and foremost thing is to improve digestion . This can be achieved by taking healthy habits, choosing your food and eating it in a calm and orderly way. In the following article, you can see Foods to improve digestion .
Listen to your body and identify what is good for you and what is not. There are no hard and fast recipes that work for everyone. For this reason, identifying what hurts you and having the courage and the will to reject it is one of the most important things in this process of change.
Find activities that make you feel good, that give you peace and harmony and exercise daily . Physical activity generates an increase in endorphins, which are substances that produce well-being. In addition, movement is essential to maintain a good metabolism. However, excessive physical activity is not healthy either. Taking both little and a lot of exercise is harmful to the body. This creates unnecessary wear.
There is medication that is sometimes indicated in cases of irritable bowel, but you should know that this is used to treat the symptoms of imbalance. The consequences are covered, but it does not go to the root cause of the disease. Therefore, we recommend that in addition to using them you also change your habits, otherwise you will not find a real benefit.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How long does an irritable bowel crisis last? , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.