Folliculitis is an infection that occurs in the areas where hair grows, known as a hair follicles. This alteration is related to a bacterial infection, fungi, or even the obstruction of the same follicle by processes such as shaving. Folliculitis can appear in any area of the skin. However, it is widespread to see it on the neck, back, armpits, head, face, groin, and legs. This condition can range from mild to severe; however, it will always yield to treatment; on the other hand, natural alternatives can help you get rid of this unpleasant condition. At FastlyHealwe show you some home remedies for folliculitis.
Symptoms of folliculitis
To find out if you have folliculitis and not confuse it with acne, we show you some symptoms that are generally quite visible; among them are:
- The appearance of pimples.
- Formation of pimples or blemishes.
- Swelling of the area.
Differences between folliculitis and acne
It may be that you have confusion when identifying if it is folliculitis or acne, so we will clarify what the differences are:
- Acne is an inflammatory process, while folliculitis is infectious.
- The location is different; acne generally appears on the face and back; in folliculitis, it can manifest on the face, neck, groin, armpits, and back.
- The appearance of blackheads is typical of acne, a product of the accumulation of keratin in the follicle. In the case of folliculitis, pustules appear especially in areas of friction.
Garlic for folliculitis
Garlic is a natural antibiotic, so it will boost our immune system and help us fight infectious processes. Using this home remedy for folliculitis is to place the juice released by the garlic when crushed in gauze and place it for a few minutes on the affected area. On the other hand, add garlic to season your food. In this way, you will be cleaning your body both inside and out.
Thyme essential oil
Essential oils are increasingly used to cure certain conditions; thyme is one of them. It is a highly concentrated oil extracted from its leaves and is ideal for treating different skin ailments; among its properties are:
- Improves the immune system.
- It is a natural antibiotic.
- It is an excellent tonic and healing.
- Fight all types of infection.
Use thyme essential oil to treat folliculitis in the following way: in a bowl, mix two drops of thyme essential oil along with two drops of essential tea oil and 2 drops of lavender essential oil. Place it directly on the skin, wash the affected area with antibacterial soap and moisten it with a toner. Leave the essential oil to act until it dries, and apply until the folliculitis has disappeared.
Oatmeal treatment for folliculitis
Oatmeal is a food high in fiber. However, its properties go much further and are not limited to internal use, so it is part of so many beauty treatments for both skin and hair care. This cereal has a significant effect on itching, so it is an excellent home remedy for folliculitis.
Place a cup of water in a pot, bring it to a boil, add one tablespoon of oatmeal; let it boil for a few more minutes, and turn off the heat. Strain the resulting water and when it is lukewarm, apply it, with gauze, to the area where the infected follicle is. Repeat this operation as many times as you need.
Compresses to treat folliculitis
Compresses are an excellent way to treat folliculitis; here are some options for you to decide which is the one that best suits you:
- Apple cider vinegar compress: apple cider vinegar is an ingredient widely used lately, especially to treat skin conditions and reduce itching. For this home treatment, you must mix in a container 1 cup of warm water and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Apply it by dipping a cloth in the solution and putting it on the area to be treated. Could you keep it for 5 minutes? If you want to know
- Saltwater compress: you have to put 1 cup of warm water and one tablespoon of salt in a container, which will have an incredible antiseptic effect on folliculitis. Apply in the same way we have indicated in the previous step, at least two times a day.
- Aluminum acetate compresses: a salt produced by a chemical reaction and is used as an antiseptic; it is also known as Burow’s solution. Mix 1 teaspoon of this item in 1 cup of hot water. Wet a clean towel, wring it out, and apply to the affected area for a few minutes. When you are done, clean the container and cloth with cold water and allow it to dry before using it again.
Tips to prevent folliculitis
It should be noted that in severe or repetitive cases of folliculitis, it is necessary that you visit a dermatologist, as this will indicate the best treatment option, whether antibiotics, ointments, or anti-inflammatories, and in even more severe cases, it will be necessary to drain the follicle. Here are some tips to prevent folliculitis :
- Avoid very tight clothing; apart from not promoting circulation, they can pressure the hair follicles and cause folliculitis.
- When shaving, always use a new blade, especially in areas where folliculitis is common.
- If any hair has become encyst, let it come out on its own; trying to remove it will make the area even more inflamed.
- Don’t share personal utensils.
- Avoid taking hot showers; prefer lukewarm ones.
- Wash towels that come into contact with the affected area frequently.
- Do not use creams that have a greasy consistency.
- Exfoliate your skin before shaving and use some toner afterwards.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for folliculitis, we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair, and nails category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.