We understand as thought all activity and creation that starts from the human mind, everything that arises from the intellectual activity of our mind. Although we usually generically speak of thought, encompassing all the products that our brain can generate, Both the most rational and the most abstract activities, created from the imagination, the truth is that thought is not unique, but there are different types.
Thought can be divided by the type of matter and rationing that occurs once it is at its intellectual peak and by the different stages that it follows before reaching maturity.
Like the rest of our body, our intellect undergoes maturation from birth to adulthood, perfecting and improving to achieve sophistication.
In the following FastlyHeal article, we will give you the Definition of syncretic thinking.
Table of Contents
What is syncretic thinking?
Syncretic thought is one of the first steps that occur in developing cognitive thinking man during the early years of his life. At this time, which occurs between 2 and 7 years of age, the infant’s thinking focuses exclusively on what it perceives and experiences, characterized by being unable to make deductions and generalizations.
Syncretic thinking is one of the phases of formation and learning of the human mind constituted by the biologist, epistemologies, and psychologist Jean Piaget in his theory of learning.
Phases of learning theory
Through this learning theory, we can distinguish the different stages of thought that we overcome as we grow and train as adult human beings.
From the moment we are born until we progress through the stages of maturity, our minds are capable of evolving to learn increasingly complex mental processes and mechanisms. Here is a summary of the different stages of learning with their main characteristics:
- The syncretic thought appears around two years of life and lasts until 6 or 7 years. This is when children begin to be aware of their environment, using the senses in this direction, assimilating what is happening around their body through sensory capture. They can assert what they have perceived, but they are not yet capable of generalizing or extracting a global idea, only particular notions, and concepts.
- In general, conceptual thinking arises from 7 to 11 years old, being at this time when they manage to generalize the perceived notions and extract from them a general concept or idea. They learn to use mental instruments such as coordination, superordination, or infraordination, scales to locate and categorize these ideas from a logical point of view.
- Formal thinking develops between 11 and 15 years and is a further step in the intellectual formation to squeeze the maximum mental abilities of our brain. The young people begin to use the propositions, relating them and crossing them logically to give rise to deductions and inductions.
- The categorial thought is the next stage of thinking, a stage in which not everyone arrives, characterized by creating conceptual pre-categories by argument and derivation.
- Scientific thought is the last level of intellectual development. Instead of assimilating, the individual focuses on creating and developing knowledge and new paradigms from scientific research.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to the Definition of syncretic thinking, we recommend that you enter our Medical Dictionary category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.