Diadochokinesis is the ability to perform voluntary coordinating movements alternately in opposite directions through flexion and extension. When there is an inability to execute rapid contrasting movements repeatedly, one suffers from adiadococinesa, in which there is a lack of coordination of activities. At FastlyHealwe provide you with the Definition of diadochokinesis.
Average ability of the muscles to alternately move a limb in opposite directions by flexion and extension.
The diadocokinesis comes from the Greek diádochos, which happens, and kinésis, movement. Diadochokinesis is the ability to rapidly and successively execute specific actions, such as alternate pronation and supination of the wrist. This function is altered in the cerebellar and in plaque sclerosis.
To verify that a person has regular coordination of their movements, a series of tests can be performed:
- Puppet test . With the elbows flexed at 90 degrees, we ask the patient to be prone and suppose alternately in both arms and with different speeds.
- Test the opposition of the thumb to the other fingers. Successively, quickly and in order, with each hand separately and then simultaneously, thus evaluating cerebellar function.
- Index-nose test . The patient extends his arm with his eyes closed and, keeping the arm raised in a horizontal position, directs the index finger to the tip of the nose. It is done first with one hand and then with the other. Some propose to do it first with eyes open and then with eyes closed to compare both situations. It begins with smooth movements and is repeated more quickly.
- Big toe test . The patient should touch the floor as quickly as possible with the big toe pad.
- Heel-knee test . The patient in the dorsal decubitus is made to touch the knee of the other leg with his son. The heel should slide across the anterior aspect of the tibia to the ankle. Then it would help if you repeated the same in the opposite direction. The test is performed on each limb with the eyes open and the eyes closed.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Definition of diadochokinesis, we recommend that you enter our Medical Dictionary category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.