This problem is more prevalent than you think. Heartburn, reflux, bloating, irritable bowel or stress are some of the problems that have been linked to increased gas in the digestive tract.
And what do you think if we tell you that it is within your reach to improve? Only with small changes can you improve this and many more imbalances if you rethink your habits when it comes to eating.
We invite you to learn more about the causes of continuous belching and its treatment in this interesting article by FastlyHeal .
Table of Contents
Belching from poor digestion
The digestion of food is a simple process, but it is often complicated by our habits and the influence of our emotions. The poor digestion is a common problem today and can have a variety of symptoms related to various imbalances, such as:
- Excessive and frequent belching.
- Sensation of stomach contents returning to the throat.
- Abdominal swelling
- Excess gas.
- Abdominal pain.
- Tension or feeling that something tightens the belly.
- Undone stools.
- Stools that do not float.
- Feeling of having something in your throat.
All these symptoms have in common that the body is warning that something is wrong. Taking a medication to ease the discomfort, but not going to the cause will only delay the diagnosis and can lead to even more imbalance.
Good digestion is essential to maintain good health. If the digestion of food is not proper, the rest of the tissues will not form normally, toxins will accumulate in the body and the defenses will be low.
Some pathologies that are frequently associated with continuous belching are:
- Gastroesophageal reflux : it is the rise of stomach contents to the esophagus and pharynx. There is irritation, acidity and a bad taste in the throat, as well as bad breath and even respiratory symptoms (cough, runny nose, frequent otitis).
- Heartburn : can cause a burning or burning sensation in the center of the abdomen. Due to poor eating habits (such as drinking fluids during meals or eating under stress), the stomach produces more acid than it should.
- Stomach ulcer : this is a more advanced degree of stomach affectation due to gastric acid increased by bad habits. Severe pain and nausea may appear in addition to belching and acid reflux.
- Irritable bowel : this has been called an alteration in digestion that alternates moments of constipation with others of diarrhea. Basically, favored by stress, difficult to digest foods, their bad combination and other practices that complicate digestion.
What to do?
Fundamentally, in these and in any cause of constant burping, it is key to adopt behaviors that promote your digestion . You should try to generate lasting changes to improve your digestion because, as we have previously mentioned, this is key to your present and future health.
Perhaps you could turn to drugs that are typically indicated for reflux or heartburn such as:
- Magnesium salts.
- Omeprazole and the like.
- Antacids of different types.
However, you should know that the result will be only temporary. Relying on a medication that magically solves your discomfort will only help you for a while, since if the imbalance is perpetuated, you can worsen your condition and start with other health problems.
They may suggest surgery to decrease the size of the sphincter that separates the stomach from the esophagus, but that won’t really fix the underlying imbalance.
Belching from improper combination of foods
This is a key point that many do not take into account, but there are foods that cannot be consumed together. And, if you do, it is likely that you have a lot of gastrointestinal upset and it could be the source of other disorders.
It is preferable to eat one fruit at a time. If you still want to combine them, we suggest that they be the same type of fruit. Never mix:
- Acid fruit and sweet fruit.
- Sweet fruit and cereals.
- Fruit and other foods.
- Fruit and milk.
It is an excellent food if it is of good origin, it is consumed in a small quantity (100 ml daily) and warm, but it is indigestible if it is combined in a bad way. Avoid:
- Milk and salt
- Milk and other proteins (meat, eggs, legumes).
- Fish and dairy.
- Cheese and tomato.
Proteins and cereals
You should only eat one type of protein at a time: legumes, one type of meat, egg, or dairy.
The same happens with cereals: oats, rice, wheat, corn or quinoa. Integral type is preferable.
It is a very particular case. It takes more than 12 hours to digest and this worsens if other foods are added. Only consume it with a whole grain cereal, never with another vegetable.
Continual belching from improper eating habits
It is not only important what you eat, but also how you do it.
One of the most common causes of continuous belching is aerophagia . Literally, it translates to eating air. This is common when you talk and eat at the same time or when you laugh while eating.
You may feel bloating, gas, belching, pain, and other symptoms.
Eat very fast
If you eat in an accelerated manner, you cannot chew your food properly, you do not soak it in saliva and its processing at the gastric and intestinal level is difficult.
On the other hand, the satiety receptor is not properly stimulated. If this happens, you will eat too much and you will only realize after a while of having eaten when suffering from pain, swelling, nausea, among other symptoms.
Eating under stress
It has happened to many of us and we have also paid for it. Digestion becomes very complicated if:
- You eat reluctantly.
- You eat after being angry.
- You share your food with someone you don’t want to.
- You are eating in a hurry or in a hurry.
Belching from excessive intake of carbonated beverages
This is another of the habits that very frequently cause continuous belching. Within the carbonated drinks , we find:
- Sparkling wines.
- Carbonated water.
The gas in these drinks causes your stomach to distend, more acid must be secreted, and the food will eventually be improperly digested. This is worse when the drinks are cold.
Cold, non-carbonated drinks also make digestion difficult.
Treatment to cure continuous belching
As we have mentioned, you can resort to medication, cover the symptom and believe that nothing is happening or choose to improve your habits and thus improve your health. We assure you that these proposals will not only make you have fewer burps, but will gradually improve your digestion and other imbalances that you suffer.
Among the tips that you can follow, and that will surely do you a lot of good, are:
- Drink water away from meals . Half an hour before or two after. When you eat with water (and even worse other drinks), your stomach needs to release more acid in order to digest the food that you have “diluted”.
- Combine food properly . He prefers balanced dishes with 50% whole grain, 25% of a type of protein and 25% of vegetables.
- Avoid processed products.
- Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Avoid green leafy vegetables.And if you consume them, try to make it daylight, no more than 25% of your plate and chew them well. If your digestion is not well, do not include them in your dishes.
- The fruit should be ingested half an hour before or two hours after the meal. In this way, fermentation does not take place inside your belly. If the fruit ferments, it causes gas, belching and bloating.
- Wait 4 to 6 hours to eat again . If you do not give time until the next intake, the digestion of what you had eaten is interrupted. This produces more air in your abdomen and the symptoms that accompany burping.
- Avoid talking and eating at the same time.
- Avoid laughing while eating.
- Chew your food very well before swallowing it.
- Wait at least 3 hours to take a bath.
And something more than important before finishing, if you have a burp or gas you must eliminate them , retaining what the body wants to remove is very counterproductive and can generate much more serious health problems.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Continuous belching: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.