Cold sores are a condition that affects many people, causing itching, itching, pain and discomfort in the affected area, that is, in the oral area. Cold sores are caused by a virus, specifically the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1), and can affect the entire oral area: lips, gums or mouth, which is why it is also called oral herpes. It is a contagious virus from which many people suffer its effects since childhood.
If you are one of the people who suffers from the effects of this virus today at FastlyHealwe want to know you a little better and learn if cold sores have a definitive cure .
Main causes of cold sores
Next we are going to talk about what are the main causes of the appearance of cold sores :
- Contagion : obviously, if cold sores exist, it is because there has been a contagion with this virus, a contagion that can occur from childhood. When we become infected with such a virus, by direct contact with a herpes or by contact with an object or material that has been infected, the virus is transmitted to us and we are already carriers of it, even if it does not manifest itself. The virus remains dormant in our body in an inactive way until body conditions allow it to appear again or for the first time.
- Weak immune system : it is the main cause that makes the latent virus in our body reactivate. When our immune system is weak, our body becomes unbalanced and the herpes simplex virus attacks it again and sores appear in the mouth or cold sores in the labial or oral area. Many people associate herpes with fever, intestinal discomfort or colds and the reason is this.
- Hormonal cycle : there are many women who, throughout their menstrual cycle, suffer changes and suffer from cold sores in a cyclical way. It usually occurs during ovulation or menstruation because the immune system at these times slows down and weakens and can cause the reappearance of the herpes virus.
- Stress : situations of anxiety, stress or anguish can generate an immediate drop in defenses because high hormonal levels decrease immune function, reviving the latent Herpes virus.
- Overexposure to the sun : high temperatures and unprotected sunbathing can cause a decrease in defenses against solar attack. That is why if you spend many hours in the sun you should not only protect your skin but also your lips with sunscreen.
Symptoms of cold sores
The symptoms may be different in each person and not all of them at the same time, but we are going to present the most common ones so that you can identify if you are suffering from the reaction to this virus:
- Rash or fever around the lips or in the mouth area, is the main symptom and that indicates more clearly that we have a herpes. Small reddish sores or blisters appear and located in specific areas and in groups. These systems of sores become red and create a lot of burning.
- Swollen lymph nodes as the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) directly affects this lymph node and can cause swelling in reaction to the attack.
- Fever : our body acts in the face of infection or lower defenses and fever is a defense method that our body has to attack it.
- Itching, redness and burning of the affected area. It can also be in facial areas such as the cheek, near the eyes or on the neck. It is the same virus but it has mutated towards a stronger reaction and you should see your doctor to treat these symptoms.
- Gingivitis : the gums become red and swollen and when brushing the teeth they bleed. This is caused by oral infection and the body’s immune reaction to the virus.
- Physical fatigue : since it usually appears in situations of loss of defenses or attacks by germs or viruses, it is normal that consequently our body feels more tired and with less energy since it has external agents that are making it sick.
- Loss of appetite : by causing pain in the mouth area, any movement can cause distress and we naturally lose our appetite and even the desire to drink water.
Is there a definitive cure for cold sores?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is currently negative, there is no definitive cure for cold sores . Cold sores are a virus that remains dormant in our body on a chronic basis, and there is currently no medically proven method that is effective to eliminate this virus from our body permanently.
Although there are many medical centers that are working to achieve a definitive cure for cold sores, we still find it impossible to perform it and therefore, with preventive and palliative cures , but not radical ones.
Cold sore treatments
Although there is no definitive cure, there are many products on the market that can help you alleviate the pain of this virus and make this disease a more bearable condition. We encourage you to go to your doctor if you think you may be suffering from this disease and so he can professionally recommend which drugs are most suitable for your particular case and for the way the virus affects you. Remind you that it is not appropriate to self-prescribe medications without medical consultation. Here are the options that exist to treat cold sores:
- Natural remedies : many people choose natural remedies to treat this ailment. The application of certain essential oils in the area, the use of aloe vera or the ingestion of garlic.
- Antiviral drugs : these are drugs that act directly by attacking the virus and although they do not eliminate it from our body, they stabilize it and alleviate its symptoms. Examples of these drugs are Acyclovir, Penciclovir, Zovirax, and so on.
- Analgesic drugs : these are drugs that help relieve pain in the affected area. In this case you can use Ibuprofen or Paracetamol.
Cold sore prevention
In case you have ever suffered the symptoms of the Herpes simplex virus, you are interested in knowing some preventive methods to avoid its new appearance. First:
- A good hygiene buco-dental and body is essential to eliminate infectious elements that can attack our immune system.
- Following a healthy and balanced diet or doing physical exercise are also aspects that help us stay healthy.
- Another point to take into account is stress , trying to reduce and avoid stressful situations, doing relaxing activities or sleeping the necessary hours will help us balance our stress level and, therefore, that its influence on our body is not trigger for the appearance of the virus.
- It is important sunscreen , good hydration and monitor the spread of herpes to others, avoiding direct contact with the rash.
- In case of having a cold sore, it is essential to use condoms during sexual intercourse and not perform oral sex, thus preventing the cold sore from passing to the genital area and mutating to herpes simplex type two (HSV2), known as genital herpes.
We remind you that if you think you may be suffering from it, the best option is to go to your doctor to be able to treat it. We also hope that, although we have not been able to give you the definitive cure for cold sores, all these tips and information that we have given you in this FastlyHealarticle will be useful for you to coexist with this virus.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Does cold sore have a definitive cure? , we recommend that you enter our category of Teeth and mouth .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.