High triglycerides, medically known as hypertriglyceridemia, are prevalent due to poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyles. Triglycerides are vital fat for our body to have enough energy in the long term; however, at high levels, they can pose a risk to our cardiovascular health since accumulated in the arteries can obstruct them and hinder blood risk.
After the diagnosis of high triglycerides, it is widespread to walk lost and wonder about the convenience or not of taking according to what foods you previously ate without problems. Can I drink coffee with high triglycerides? It is a common question among those diagnosed with hypertriglyceridemia; that is why at FastlyHealwe have arranged to solve all the doubts you may have.
Table of Contents
Causes of high triglycerides
Various causes can lead to an increase in triglycerides, although the most decisive are lifestyle habits, mainly diet, and a sedentary life:
- An unbalanced diet and high-fat diets are the leading cause of high triglycerides; An excessive consumption of fried foods, alcohol, sweets, industrial pastries, and very fatty meats are the primary triggers of triglycerides and cholesterol, becoming a potentially dangerous problem for our health.
- It is partially lined to the previous point; being obese increases the risk of having triglycerides at higher than recommended values and suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, or fatty liver.
- A sedentary lifestyle is another of the significant causes of hypertriglyceridemia, as well as being one of the important causes of obesity. This condition appears because, due to the lack of physical activity, the fats ingested through the diet do not need to be converted into energy, so they accumulate throughout our body.
- Apart from the lifestyle, the genetic factor can also be vital in the appearance of high triglyceride values. Known as familial hypertriglyceridemia, this condition is passed from father to son, causing a tendency to have these high fats.
- Although they are particular cases and a precise norm cannot be established, some medications can cause high triglycerides in some instances.
- There are chronic diseases, such as diabetes or hyperthyroidism, that can cause an increase in triglycerides.
Can I drink coffee with high triglycerides?
It has been proven that there is a clear relationship between triglyceride and cholesterol levels with coffee intake; in turn, other studies have demonstrated that abstinence from this drink causes a decrease in blood lipid levels.
Going further, it has been observed that the incidence is higher among people who drink boiled coffee than those who drink filtered coffee; that is, the relationship between cholesterol and triglycerides and coffee consumption depends on the method of its preparation. Those responsible for this rise are kahweol and cafestol, two diterpenes present in coffee berries that increase the activity of the proteins responsible for the transfer of HDL to LDL. As we have commented previously, coffee made through filtering with paper causes a lower rise in triglycerides since up to 80% of diterpenes to remain in the filter.
In short, a person with high triglyceride levels should refrain from drinking coffee; however, if he drinks one from time to time and, especially if he does it by filtering processes, he can be more flexible.
Food to lower triglycerides
The first and most important change that must be made to lower triglycerides is in the diet. If there is no variation in eating habits, it will not be possible to restore those levels to healthy limits; that is why we give you some tips so that you know what you should eat and what you should stop eating:
- You have to reduce the intake of fried foods to a minimum, changing the cooking method to cooking, iron, or steam.
- Refrain from eating fatty and processed meat, such as sausages; on the contrary, the consumption of chicken, turkey, and lean cuts of pork should be prioritized.
- Consume white fish, rich in proteins that are healthier than meat.
- Avoid eating junk food, whole dairy products, derivatives, sweets, pastries, or alcohol.
- Consume whole grains and other foods rich in fiber, such as fruit and vegetables, which are essential to eliminating excess fat from our body.
- If you have obesity, it is essential to lose weight; following a diet designed by a nutritionist is necessary to do it in an orderly and healthy way.
For more information and valuable tips, we invite you to visit our article on a diet to lower triglycerides to find ideas to plan your new life since a change in habits is necessary to combat the increase in triglycerides.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Can, I drink coffee with high triglycerides? We recommend that you enter our category of Blood, heart and circulation .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.