Vaginal infections are common in women and are caused by germs, ranging from bacteria to fungi.
With the use of antibiotics, many questions arise when taking them. In fact, in many cases, they have been used in processes where it was not necessary to consume them, and in the long run, this has generated problems in the effective treatment of the diseases.
In this case, amoxicillin is an antibiotic used very often alone or in combination with other compounds to treat infections of bacterial origin. Still, is it valuable amoxicillin for a vaginal infection? In this FastlyHealarticle, we give you the answer to this question and everything you need to know about this drug to use it correctly.
What is amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that belongs to the group of penicillins, and it works by stopping the growth of bacteria, which is why it is known as a bactericide. Due to this, it blocks the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall, thus inhibiting B-lactamase.
It is an antibiotic for systemic and broad-spectrum use. Therefore, it is used to treat infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to amoxicillin.
Does amoxicillin help cure the vaginal infection?
Amoxicillin is not used to treat vaginal infections because the microorganisms that cause these infections are not sensitive to this antibiotic in this area. On the contrary, most vaginal infections are caused by fungi or yeasts, among which are found:
- Bacterial vaginosis is one of the most frequent causes of vaginal infection. It is produced by the changes suffered by bacteria that are usually found inside the vagina. This condition is treated with oral and topical use medications such as Metronidazole or Clindamycin.
- Vaginal candidiasis is caused by the overgrowth of a fungus in the vaginal region called Candida albicans. The infection is treated with antifungal creams or suppositories such as Miconazole, Clotrimazole. Depending on the symptoms, the oral route may be required.
- Trichomoniasis: produced by Trichomonas Vaginalis, it is a sexually transmitted disease between infected people. The treatment applied in this infection is based on Metronidazole or Tinidazole tablets.
Vaginal infections are caused by different microorganisms that must be treated according to the pathogen causing the infection.
What is amoxicillin for?
Amoxicillin, for its broad-spectrum, is used to treat different infections, among which are:
- Pneumonia is an infectious process where the lungs are compromised at the respiratory level.
- Bronchitis is an inflammatory process that can be of infectious origin in the airways that go to the lungs.
- Ear, nose, and throat infections: such as otitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, mastoiditis, epiglottitis.
- Genitourinary infections: such as cystitis, urinary infections, pyelonephritis, and urethritis.
- Skin and soft tissue problems: cellulitis, abscesses, animal bites, osteomyelitis (the infectious process in the bone).
- Dental disorders: such as periodontal infections.
Likewise, it is indicated to prevent bacterial endocarditis in patients at risk.
Why is amoxicillin combined with clavulanic acid?
This combination is made to enhance the activity of amoxicillin against some bacteria to which it can create resistance. Some microbes produce an enzyme called beta-lactamase, which prevents said antibiotic from acting, losing its effectiveness against bacteria that were sensitive to its effect. Clavulanic acid’s job is to inactivate the enzyme to be effective.
Amoxicillin side effects
Amoxicillin is generally a well-tolerated antibiotic. However, some side effects can occasionally occur. The most frequent are evidenced at the gastrointestinal level. Among them, it is necessary to mention:
In other cases, hypersensitivity reactions such as:
- Rash eruptions.
Respiratory problems type:
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing.
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, and eyes.
Contraindications of amoxicillin
There are some cases in which amoxicillin should not be indicated, such as:
- In people who are allergic to penicillin.
- When there is a history of allergy to cephalosporin.
If people are faced with a viral disease such as infectious mononucleosis, in these cases, rash-like skin lesions may appear.
In these cases, people suffering from diseases such as leukemia or sarcoma risk generalized eruptions.
Amoxicillin is not used to treat vaginal infections. If you have discomfort in this area, you must go to your gynecologist to indicate the appropriate treatment according to your symptoms and the microorganism that gives rise to the infection question.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is amoxicillin useful for a vaginal infection? We recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.