Itching in the vagina is an uncomfortable sensation, genital itching or vulvar itching can cause concern in women who do not know what is the cause behind these symptoms. If you have itchy genital lips and a sensation of irritation, sometimes accompanied by discharge and secretions and even bleeding from the itch, it is likely due to allergies or infections.
These conditions generate discomfort in our day-to-day life and in sexual relations and although, generally, they are not serious pathologies, if they are not attacked they can generate greater problems. Do you want to know the treatment for vaginal itching? The causes of female genital itching? Keep reading the following article from FastlyHeal , Itching in the vagina: causes and treatment , and find out.
Causes of itchy vagina
This itching in the vagina can develop from the following:
- Infections during sexual intercourse: Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea, chlamydia or trichomoniasis can be one of the causes of itchy vagina. Although some people do not have symptoms, when they do, the common ones are vaginal discharge and odor and pain when urinating.
- Vulvovaginitis : it is a fairly common problem that can affect both women and girls and is generally caused by poor hygiene. The vagina has healthy bacteria and others that are not, the proliferation of those that are not healthy is what generates vulvovaginitis; swelling and infection of the vagina and vulva.
- Candidiasis : Candida is a fungus that lives in the vagina and causes problems when it grows excessively, the causes of its growth can be due to contraceptives, prolonged periods of stress and antibiotics. In the following article you will find everything you need to know about vaginal yeast infection: symptoms, causes and treatment .
- Menopause : One of the symptoms of menopause is that estrogen levels are lower, which causes dryness and inflammation and with it pain and itching in the vagina. This situation can also occur if you are breastfeeding.
- Chemicals : vaginal itching and irritation can also be caused by chemicals used to wash clothes, allergies to latex, the use of any intimate hygiene soap or gel, scented toilet papers and baby wipes.
- Other Causes: There are other causes and conditions that can manifest as itching and itching in the vagina. Among these less common causes, we highlight clothing that is too tight and is not absorbent, causing rashes on the skin of the vagina, dermatological conditions that have spread to that area or a lost tampon that causes irritation, itching and strong discharge odor.
Itching in the vagina due to nonspecific vulvovaginitis
Another possible cause of female genital itching can be nonspecific vulvovaginitis, a condition that can occur at any age, but is more common in girls who have not yet passed puberty. There is no exact cause that defines it, but it is believed to be due to insufficient genital hygiene .
Among its symptoms, in addition to itching and burning, a very bad-smelling discharge of a greenish and brown color stands out along with irritation and inflammation of the genital lips .
It is thought that the origin of this infection could be in the multiplication of the bacteria present in the stool and that can spread towards the area of the vagina when wiping from back to front after going to the bathroom. If you wonder why I have itchy vulva, you could ask yourself if your symptoms coincide with those we have explained.
In the event that in addition to vulvar itching, you present a pimple in the genital area, we recommend that you consult the article Pimples in the vagina: causes and treatments .
Treatment for itchy vagina
Before recommending any treatment for vulvar itching, you should first know exactly what is causing your vagina to itch. Without identifying what the cause is, it will be impossible to attack it. However, from FastlyHeal , we leave you some general recommendations that will help you to relieve itching while fighting the underlying disease or problem:
- Decrease the consumption of sugar, especially refined sugar. Yeasts, such as candida, can reproduce if the level of sugar in the blood is high.
- Wear loose clothing that allows good air circulation and breathing in the vaginal area. Choose cotton undergarments over synthetic, as they retain moisture and heat and yeast reproduce under these conditions.
- Avoid using tampons during infection. Similarly, do not use douching, as these kill healthy bacteria found in the vagina and are necessary for infection control.
- Clean the genital area properly when showering and after using the bathroom.
- You can also take a warm sitz bath to relieve itchy vagina.
Cream for female genital itching
Beyond the recommendations that we have given you in the previous section, there are some creams that can serve as a treatment for vaginal itching:
Cream for vulvar dryness and irritation
The vagina is capable of naturally producing lubrication, a lubrication that helps to clean this organ, favors sexual intercourse and prevents genital irritation. That is why if, for whatever reason, especially during menopause, there is vaginal dryness, it may be necessary to use creams to avoid vulvar irritation.
These creams are water-based lubricants, this nuance is important, since the others could end up causing an inverse effect. These lubricants will provide the necessary hydration to prevent friction from causing vaginal itching or itching.
Creams for vaginal itching
Depending on what is causing your genital itching, you should use one type of cream or another, that is why it is essential to visit the gynecologist to establish what the cause is. Depending on the condition, you can use some creams or others:
- Antifungal cream : there are different brands, but all of them what they do is provide an antifungal function to eliminate the fungi that may be causing the itch.
- Anti-itch balm : they contain anti-inflammatory and soothing active ingredients that relieve any itching, itching or irritation that may be in the genital area.
- Bacterial Vaginitis Cream : It is specifically designed to regulate the natural pH of your vagina and relieve vaginal irritation.
Itchy genital lips: home remedies
There are a number of home remedies for itchy genital lips that can be of great help in relieving severe itching and associated discomfort. Among those that can offer better results are:
- Vaginal washes
- Tea tree oil
- Apple vinager
- Aloe vera
- Cranberry juice
- Baths with sea salts
When to contact a doctor for itching in the vagina?
As we have already said, it is essential that you get a medical evaluation to know what the exact cause of vaginal itching is. If you also have other symptoms such as discharge with a strong smell, fever, or burning in the vagina when urinating, this need becomes even more pressing. Summarizing what has been said above, the causes of itching in the vagina are:
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
- Chemical irritation.
The specialist will perform different medical tests such as biopsies, cytologies or cultures to find out the cause of the itching in the vagina so that he can design an appropriate treatment for your condition.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Itching in the vagina: causes and treatments , we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.