Distraneurine is the trade name for clomethiazole, an acid responsible for facilitating the binding of gamma-amino-butyric acid, better known as GABA, with its receptor. As this acid is a neurotransmitter that can be found in the brain and its primary function is inhibition, this drug increases its activity and therefore helps to decrease specific brain sectors.
It is essential to know that Distraneurine contains sorbitol, so if the patient is intolerant to certain sugars, it is essential that they let the professional knowledge. If your doctor has prescribed this drug for you and you don’t know much about it, we advise you to continue reading the following FastlyHealarticle about Distraneurine capsules: what it is for and side effects.
What are Distraneurine capsules for?
Clomethiazole, the active drug in Distraneurine, is located in the group of hypnotic and sedative drugs. As it is a drug that has a calming effect that acts directly on the nervous system, it is generally used to:
- Those people who are in a state of restlessness, such as anxiolytic.
- Eliminate symptoms such as those caused by withdrawal.
- Treat insomnia.
If your doctor has prescribed Distraneurine capsules and you do not know exactly why, then it is essential that you ask him and remove all your doubts. Although the most frequent uses of Distraneurine in capsules are those mentioned above, it can also be prescribed in cases of:
Distraneurine: administration rules
The administration rules correspond exclusively to the disorder being treated, so it is essential never to self-medicate and always follow the doctor’s instructions for its consumption correctly. Generally, when a person needs to be treated for anxiety or confusion, one capsule is prescribed three times a day.
When a patient needs to get rid of sleep disturbances, the doctor may advise consuming two capsules at night; however, this may vary a bit depending on the response of each person.
For those who need to treat withdrawal caused by alcohol with Distraneurine capsules, the protocol to follow is usually 2 to 4 capsules every certain number of hours indicated by the professional. In other words, the person may need to consume 10 to 12 capsules divided into 3 or 4 doses on the first day, 6 to 8 capsules on the second day, 4 to 6 capsules on the third day, and gradually reduce their consumption, since that the intake of this drug for periods exceeding ten days is not advised.
All the administration above rules are purely referential. It is essential to consult a doctor before consuming and follow the instructions for using the drug in the way that he recommends since, otherwise, it could generate different alterations and cause numerous side effects. That gives a result opposite to the one that is sought.
Side effects by Distraneurine capsules
Although it is a very safe drug, Distraneurine, like all drugs, can cause side effects. They can be frequent or infrequent adverse effects, but it is essential that you know all of them and goes to a professional in the presence of any of them.
The most common side effects of Distraneurine capsules are the following:
- Nasal itching or feeling obstructed in it due to mucus, which usually occurs within a few minutes of ingesting the capsule.
- Skin rashes accompanied by itching.
- I am feeling an upset stomach.
- Bronchial secretions and runny nose.
- Feeling drowsy usually occurs in the elderly or when taking high doses.
- In the elderly, it can also produce a hangover sensation.
Among the side effects of the less joint Distraneurine capsules caused by allergy to this drug are:
- Hives or generalized itching
- Presence of blisters on the skin.
- Swelling in various areas of the body or face, such as the tongue and lips.
- Difficulty breathing normally.
- Presence of wheezing in the breath.
Precautions when taking Distraneurine capsules
Finally, we explain the main precautions to take Distraneurine capsules and thus increase their positive effect and reduce the chances of side effects arising from Distraneurine capsules.
- Use this medicine properly. Prolonged use or consumption of high doses can cause physical and mental dependence on this drug.
- As it is metabolized in the liver, the dose must be correct for those with liver failure.
- As most of this drug is eliminated via the kidneys, it is essential that the professional exercise caution for patients with kidney failure.
- It can generate respiratory depression, so extreme caution should be exercised in those who suffer from any alteration that affects the respiratory system.
- It is not recommended to operate dangerous machines or drive during treatment with Distraneurine capsules, especially during its first days.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Distraneurine capsules: what it is for and side effects, we recommend that you enter our medication and medical tests category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.