Addressing the issue of drugs and medications is very important today due to its high demand, possible side effects and instructions regarding their consumption, which must be very clear both for the patient and for their relatives and close people. In this case, the fact that it is administered with or without a prescription is secondary, even drugs that are sold without a prescription can be dangerous if their effects and the doses that should be used are not known.
One of the types of drugs for which quality information must be managed due to their specific action in the body is benzodiazepines, prescription drugs for psychological and neurological disorders of anxiety and sleep. At FastlyHealwe explain one of them, the Orfidal: what it is for, dosage and its side effects .
Table of Contents
What is the Orfidal for?
Orfidal is a psychotropic drug, that is, its effects on the body are aimed at producing changes in behavior and mood. Its active component is Lorazepam and it is prescribed for its anxiolytic, tranquilizing and sedative effect, allowing the social and work development of the patient who suffers:
- Acute, situational and / or chronic anxiety disorders
- Anxiety associated with chronic depression
- Sleep disorders , especially insomnia .
- It is also usually administered as a pre-anesthetic with people who have too much nervousness before a surgical operation.
It is important to note that this type of medication is prescribed once the person has severe anxiety , to the point that it disables the individual to function on a daily basis. This warning is due to the fact that some users may confuse Orfidal with a medicine to use in any state of anxiety, as if it were an analgesic, but this is not the case. Its excessive consumption can lead to greater risks, even without reaching an overdose, in addition to its possible addictive effect.
Dosage and administration of Orfidal
The Orfidal presentation is in 1mg compressed tablets. This medicine is usually prescribed only in adults and in some adolescents, in children only if it is strictly necessary. An oral administration is indicated 1 to 3 times a day , in doses of 0.5mg -picking the tablet in half- or 1mg.
- Its consumption is suggested before meals or together with them , but it is very important to take into account the activity that the person is going to do next.
- In the event that this next task is physical effort or situations that require a lot of attention from the patient, the consumption of Orfidal can be counterproductive, since its sedative effect will reduce the capacity for attention and muscle contraction.
- Because one of its indications is to combat insomnia, one of these doses is also usually prescribed before dinner or before sleeping .
- For the beginning of the administration of the drug, a gradual increase in the dose is usually prescribed until reaching the highest expected.
- Likewise, to end the consumption of Orfidal, it is important to gradually reduce it to avoid adverse symptoms.
Contraindications and warnings for its administration
- Hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug
- Myasthenia (severe muscle weakness)
- Simultaneous treatment with opiate drugs, for example morphine, neuroleptics or barbiturates.
- Respiratory and hepatic insufficiencies.
- Sleep apnea syndrome .
The administration of both Orfidal and the medications with Lorazepam should be carefully observed and, if possible, avoided under the following circumstances:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding : either during early or late pregnancy or while breastfeeding, the risks of side effects on the baby’s development are very high. It should be avoided as much as possible.
- Renal insufficiency : requires administration with great caution, in low doses.
- If you are going to drive : due to its sedative and depressive effects on the parasympathetic nervous system, its consumption should be avoided or monitored if the person performs tasks such as driving or controlling machinery that require special attention and concentration.
Side effects and adverse reactions to Orfidal
The most common side effects are:
- Feeling of fatigue
- He drowned
- Muscular weakness
This drug, as well as the entire family of benzodiazepines, produces tolerance in its long-term consumption, that is, the body will need increasingly greater doses for the expected effect to occur and can generate dependence on it.
Other common symptoms are:
- Motor incoordination and speech problems (ataxia and dysarthria);
- Balance disorders.
- Hostility, irritability, and aggressiveness.
- Cardiac hypotension.
- Swelling under the tongue, glottis, or larynx (angioedema) that can obstruct the airways and be fatal.
- Trembling and vertigo
- Allergic skin reactions and hair loss (alopecia).
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Orfidal: what it is for, dosage and side effects , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.