Have you recently had hives on your skin, and you don’t know why it is? Do they bother you and sometimes tend to itch? This turns out to be a widespread problem in many people due to different conditions. The factors that trigger these hives can be several; it is not always for a specific cause; they can appear in certain areas, for example, on the arms, legs, face, or even the whole body. However, it is expected that we do not know their cause or why they appear, and we do not know precisely what to do to remedy the situation.
Next, in this FastlyHealarticle, we will explain the possible causes of why hives appear on the skin so that you can always stay informed and know what treatment to follow for them.
Table of Contents
What are hives on the skin?
Hives on the skin are raised skin inflammations that appear singly or in groups, in specific areas or throughout the body, and are often itchy. Its size can be variable, surrounded by a red zone and characterized by swelling. Clinically, it is called urticaria or wheal.
There can be three main types of hives on the skin:
- Acute: The injury lasts no more than six weeks.
- Chronicles: Last more than six weeks.
What causes hives on the skin
There are many possible causes of hives on the skin, but the most common is an allergic reaction. When a person has an allergy, the body releases histamine, triggering allergy symptoms, including hives on the skin. In this article, we will mention the most frequent causes, both allergies and the appearance of hives on the skin:
- Insect bites such as mosquitoes, fleas, or bees.
- Contact with certain plants.
- Animal dander.
- Some medications such as aspirin.
- Pollen from a multitude of plants and trees.
- Foods such as shellfish, fish, nuts, eggs, or milk.
- Chemicals are present in clothing, cosmetics, dyes, and soaps.
- Emotional stress
- Much exposure to cold or heat.
- Certain infections such as mononucleosis.
- Diseases such as chickenpox, shingles, measles, smallpox, and fungal skin infections.
What are the symptoms of hives on the skin
Whatever the cause of the appearance of hives, in general, and except for some specific cases, the symptoms are very similar for any possible reasons. These are:
- Itching, itching, or itching in the area.
- Inflammation or swelling of the skin.
In addition, depending on the cause that triggers it, they can also be accompanied by other symptoms such as:
Hives on the skin: treatment
The diagnosis of hives on the skin is made mainly through clinical inspection, and the doctor is in charge of determining their origin. The person is subjected to a biopsy in sporadic cases unless a more severe or advanced lesion is considered, such as urticaria vasculitis.
It is essential to say that the primary treatment for hives on the skin is prevention, that is, avoiding any trigger or substance that produces hives on the skin and especially when you already suspect that some common sense may cause this reaction. However, when they have already been made, the recommended treatment is an antihistamine, a drug indicated in case of allergy.
When the hives on the skin are already advanced, the treatment of choice is the application of systemic corticosteroids, which can be oral or intramuscular, and if the airway is compromised. Breathing is complex; in addition to the presence of epinephrine should be given subcutaneously to eliminate symptoms.
Home remedies for hives on the skin
Other things you can do that are recommended to reduce symptoms include:
- Take baths or showers to cool off.
- Apply anti-allergic body lotion or cream.
- Eliminate the intake of refined sugars, dairy, or sausages (during the presence of hives on the skin) since they release toxins in the body, making the normal functioning of the intestines slower, filling the body with impurities.
- Drink lots of water so that the body flushes out toxins.
- Avoid eating foods that cause allergies because they spread the injury.
Among the home remedies for hives on the skin we have:
- Aloe vera: Because it hydrates, disinfects, and refreshes.
- Vinegar is used for sunburn hives; it should be applied cold and in compresses.
- Tea: They relax the person if it is due to emotional stress.
- Essential oils: Like tree oils, they help disinfect and calm.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why do hives appear on the skin , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.