Migraine is a neurological disorder that involves repetitive headaches that can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound. In most people with migraines, the pain is extreme and throbbing, usually located on only one side of the head that can radiate into one eye. Migraine can appear and last for several weeks, but it can manifest itself as a specific discomfort that quickly yields to the treatment indicated by the neurologist. Treating Migraine correctly and knowing how to act if it appears is essential to prevent constant headaches.
There are different types of migraines, which are classified into two groups: Migraine without aura, which is the most common Migraine, and Migraine with atmosphere, which is accompanied by other symptoms that are triggered by the nervous system. In this FastlyHealarticle, you will know what a migraine with aura consists of, its causes, and treatment.
Types of Migraine
Below we list the different types of Migraine with the main characteristics that accompany them:
Migraine without aura. It appears suddenly without presenting previous symptoms. The pain can intensify if the treatment indicated by the neurologist is not taken in time.
Migraine with aura. It is characterized because, in addition to the typical symptoms of migraines, it is accompanied by lights, flashes, or spots in the sight that can interfere with vision.
Chronic Migraine. It can be with or without aura. It usually lasts more than two weeks or can even last a month. It is more common in people suffering from sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, or being overweight.
Hemiplegic Migraine. As its name implies, this Migraine is accompanied by hemiplegias, such as tingling or inability to move any part of the body for a few minutes.
Aurasomatosensory Migraine. It is a predictable migraine because the symptoms that characterize it appear before the color of the head. The symptoms include tingling, hunger, a lousy mood, and an inability to move any part of the body.
Migraine with aura
It is a common type of Migraine that appears accompanied by symptoms derived from an altered nervous system, known as aura. The aura is a warning that the Migraine is about to start and is commonly manifested through vision as follows:
- A temporary blind spot or colored spots.
- She pronounced eye pain.
- Blurry vision.
- The person can see stars, lines, or flashes of light, and for this reason, this type of disease is known by the name Migraine with aura.
- You can also see a tunnel, which means that only those objects that are closer to the visual field are appreciated.
Migraine with aura can be different or manifest in different ways depending on the symptoms triggered by each person’s nervous system. For this reason, the presence of yawning, difficulty concentrating, nausea, dizziness, numbness, tingling, and difficulty finding the correct words to pronounce are also associated with this condition. The aura and all the nervous manifestations accompanying it usually appear between 10 and 15 minutes before the headache. In some cases, the discomfort can begin 24 hours before the headache.
Headaches of Migraine with aura begin suddenly and worsen in minutes, plus:
- They are throbbing, and the person usually assures that his head is pounding.
- They are most pronounced on one side of the head.
- They are accompanied by pain in the back of one eye or the back of the neck.
- They can last from 6 to 48 hours.
In addition, migraines with aura and other types of this condition can be accompanied by:
- Chills and fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Frequent urge to urinate.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sensitivity to light and sound.
After a migraine attack, some symptoms can last before the person is fully recovered. It usually involves mental exhaustion, confusion, a need for sleep, and pain in the neck.
Causes of Migraine with aura
Migraine results from abnormal activity in the brain that can be caused by multiple factors, but its exact origin is unknown. Some medical specialists assure that this pathology is due to dilation and constriction of the blood vessels of the head, which involves and intervenes in the functioning of the nerves and chemical substances, affecting the blood flow of the brain and its tissues.
Migraines generally begin to manifest between the ages of 10 and 45. However, they tend to run in families and are more common in females. Likewise, some factors can intervene in the development of a migraine attack; recognizing and avoiding them is essential to preventing Migraine with aura:
- Chocolate and red wine.
- Episodes of high stress or strong emotions.
- Chronic tiredness
- Temperature changes.
- Hormonal disorders.
- Reactions are allergic .
- Caffeine withdrawal.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Sleep disorders.
- Strong odors, perfumes, exposure to tobacco smoke.
- Skipping meals
It has also been shown that there is a predisposition to the appearance of aura migraine when people who suffer from it eat any of these foods in their diet :
- Dairy, especially cheese.
- Any product or food that contains MSG.
- Peanuts, walnuts, seeds, and much of the dried fruit.
- Marinated, fermented, marinated, or highly seasoned foods.
- Nitrate-rich meats such as bacon, hot dogs, salami, and raw meats.
- Avocado o pasta, bananas, citrus fruits.
- Tyramine foods: smoked fish, aged cheese, liver, and figs.
- Discover the best foods for migraine headaches in the following FastlyHealarticle.
Treatment of Migraine with aura
Each person is different, and in each person, a Migraine with aura can manifest itself in other ways, or it can be caused by various factors. Therefore, the main thing will be to visit the neurologist to examine brain activity in-depth and, together with the person, to discover the triggers that cause the attacks to appear. In general, specialists recommend keeping a migraine diary where the person writes down what they ate, drank, did, or changed before the headache seemed to compare each episode and determine the most frequent causes.
Unfortunately, so far, Migraine is a condition that has no cure, so treatment consists of alleviating symptoms and preventing attacks by identifying triggers to provide the person with a better quality of life. When migraine attacks with aura are very constant, it is common for the doctor to prescribe a series of medications such as antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and antihypertensives to prevent episodes and reduce the number of migraines.
How to treat a migraine attack with aura
Here are a series of valuable tips so that you can treat migraine symptoms:
- The first thing you should do as soon as you begin to experience the symptoms of Migraine with aura is to immediately seek the medication indicated by your neurologist to prevent the appearance of the headache or at least ensure that the intensity of the headache is not so chronic.
- If you have nausea or vomiting, avoid consuming any food.
- Lie down in a quiet, dark place until the discomfort subsides.
- Try to stay calm to prevent the stress of discomfort from making your symptoms worse.
- If the Migraine does not improve after two days and carrying out all the treatment indicated by your doctor, go to the emergency room.
- Suppose you feel that you have difficulty speaking. If you have a loss of balance, the headache is different from the previous episodes, or it is more severe when you lie down, go immediately to the nearest emergency center.
- In the following FastlyHealarticle, we explain some very effective home remedies in treating Migraine.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Migraine with aura: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Brain and nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.