Migraine is not just any headache, it is a discomfort of great intensity that is also accompanied by symptoms such as nausea and vomiting . When it occurs, it completely destabilizes us, preventing us from carrying out our daily activities and forcing us to lie down in a dark and quiet place to try to find improvement. If you are prone to this condition you should know that what you eat influences a lot, and that is that some ingredients can reduce the appearance of episodes while others increase their frequency. In this FastlyHealarticle we explain in detail the most recommended diet to avoid migraines .
Why does diet influence migraine?
Migraine is a condition that occurs mostly in women, and among the various factors that can lead to these pains, diet plays an important role. Certain compounds present in the ingredients that we ingest on a daily basis can significantly increase the chances of suffering from migraines, which is why it is recommended to avoid them when there is a propensity to suffer from these pains.
Some of these compounds are:
- Tyramine: a vasodilator found in foods such as aged cheese, red and rose wine, cold cuts, organ meats, beer, dried fish, pickled fish or caviar, nuts, and also in fruits such as avocado and plantain.
- Glutamate : This flavor enhancer increases the intensity and frequency of headaches. It is found in many processed foods such as soy sauce, commercial seasonings and dressings, canned and pickled foods, packaged soups, or any type of prepared sauce.
- Caffeine and stimulants : foods that contain them increase blood circulation which can promote headaches. Coffee, chocolate, tea, energy drinks, alcohol, and soft drinks should be avoided.
- Sweeteners : products such as aspartame or saccharin must be removed from the diet if you want to prevent migraines.
What causes a migraine box?
This condition is caused by the abnormal activity of some cells, tissues and nerve pathways in the brain, which can occur due to triggering factors.
The causes of migraine that usually produce this picture are:
- Hereditary factors, this condition is common in people with a family history of migraine.
- Hormonal changes, for this reason intense headaches are more frequent in women.
- Pictures of anxiety or stress.
- Eating little or eating a diet rich in foods that cause migraine headaches.
- Lack of sleep.
- Exposure to bright lights or computer light constantly.
Any condition related to these factors can cause a migraine headache. The hormonal changes produced during menstruation, very stressful situations, a sleepless night and even very noisy environments or where there is very intense lighting can give rise to this condition.
Blue fish and shellfish to avoid migraines
Due to its content of phosphorus, riboflin and its presence of beneficial fats for the body, oily fish such as sardines, tuna or salmon are great allies in the diet to avoid migraine headaches. You can also include seafood in your diet , a type of protein that will help you to be nourished without overdoing it.
Remember that if you suffer from migraine it is important to eat several meals a day in small portions to avoid spending a long time without eating. You should also reduce the presence of fatty foods, which increase the possibility of suffering from severe headaches.
Maintaining a diet rich in magnesium is very important to combat stress and promote relaxation of the muscles. We must not forget that a high level of tension can promote the presence of migraines, that is why it is recommended to incorporate ingredients such as:
- The brown rice.
- Nuts (except walnuts, which contain tyramine).
- Green leafy vegetables like chard or spinach.
- Legumes such as lentils, chickpeas or soybeans.
- Cereals such as wheat or oat bran.
Foods that contain vitamin B2 and B6
Vitamin B2 helps, according to various research, to reduce the presence of headaches, while vitamin B6 stimulates the production of serotonin, a substance that works as a neurotransmitter and helps reduce pain and improve our mood.
Among the foods to avoid migraine those that contain vitamin B2 are:
- The blue fish.
- Milk and yogurt.
- Beef, pork or lamb.
- White fish such as sea bass or monkfish.
For its part, vitamin B6 is present in:
- Fish like salmon and cod.
- The potatoes.
- Vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, or spinach.
Recommendations to prevent migraine
In addition to limiting those foods that cause migraines and including the ingredients that help to avoid them in the diet, it is recommended to take into account other recommendations to avoid migraines and maintain our well-being day by day:
- Do not fast, spending many hours without eating can cause a headache.
- Avoid spending more than 4-5 hours without eating. It is recommended to eat meals with smaller portions 5 times a day.
- Try to rest well and always go to bed at the same time. A sleepless night or a bad night’s sleep can promote migraines.
- When you are going to expose yourself for long periods to the sun it is important to wear glasses and adequately protect your head with the use of caps or hats or use umbrellas to stay in the shade. Too much sun can cause severe headaches.
- Avoid excess stress, in periods of greater tension it is important to exercise and practice relaxing disciplines.
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet and getting regular physical exercise can contribute to a healthy life and fewer migraine episodes.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Food to avoid migraines , we recommend that you enter our Brain and nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.