If there is an unpleasant discomfort for women, vaginal itching: that itchy sensation that causes an uncontrollable desire to scratch the vagina, mainly focused on the vulva and primarily affected the outer lips. Avoiding excessive scratching may seem like an impossible mission, but it is necessary to control it since it can worsen the condition causing injuries in the intimate area.
It is believed that at least once in life, every woman will experience vaginal itching or irritation. Although it may be embarrassing or unpleasant, this condition is more common than you think due to multiple factors. Sometimes the itching in the vagina can be a very brief event that passes without the need for treatment. However, in others, the symptom can become so annoying and exasperating that it is necessary to find an alternative to relieve the itching while discovering its cause. Do you want to know what the home remedies for vaginal itching are? Keep reading this FastlyHealarticle carefully so that you know simple and effective solutions.
Causes of vaginal itching
- Although it may seem incredible, one of the leading causes of vaginal itching is excess hygiene in the intimate area. The decrease in vaginal bacterial flora increases the risk of contracting infections or fungi.
- Scented soaps, douches, contraceptive gels, intimate deodorants, detergents, and fabric softeners can also cause vaginal itching.
- Another common cause of itching in the vagina is candidiasis, a condition that is transmitted by a fungus. When this is the cause of the discomfort, vaginal itching is accompanied by a milk-white discharge and an unpleasant odor. Candidiasis can be caused by antibiotics, menstruation, sexual intercourse, diabetes, pregnancy, or birth control.
- During menopause, there is a decrease in the production of estrogens that thins the vaginal walls and decreases vaginal discharge, which causes itching.
- There is also a type of itch known as psychogenic, caused by stress.
- Vaginitis can also cause this problem and parasites in the stool.
When vaginal itching is an STD
Yes, vaginal itching can also be caused by a sexually transmitted disease. The most common causes are the following:
- Green or yellow flow. If a discharge accompanies the itchiness with a pungent smell and whose color is between green and yellow, it may be that you have been infected with trichomonas. This disease occurs when parasites from your partner’s semen enter your vagina. This condition warrants medical treatment.
- Lumps or blisters. If you notice that red bumps accompany the itch and that after the itching begins to hurt, you may be infected with genital herpes, which is spread by being in direct contact with the skin of an infected person. A specialist must treat genital herpes.
Home remedies for vaginal itching: Eat garlic!
There are many medicinal properties of garlic. Its fungicidal and antibacterial power stands out, which helps eliminate fungi and infections from the body, preventing the proliferation of microorganisms responsible for conditions such as vaginitis.
Using garlic to relieve vaginal itching is very simple. Just add it to your daily diet to start benefiting from its benefits. The ideal is to use it as a spice or condiment to season meats and other preparations, but it is also recommended to chew a clove of garlic on an empty stomach.
Blueberries have a type of acidity that few foods offer. That helps regulate the natural pH of the vagina, allowing to improve the symptoms of urinary or vaginal infections that may be causing vaginal itching. Due to its ability to eradicate bacteria from the intimate area, it is recommended to ingest two glasses of cranberry juice to treat itching in the vagina.
The use of blueberries to treat vaginal conditions is so widespread that today you can find blueberry extract pills on the market that offer a concentrate of these fruits to help treat ailments such as cystitis. This option can also be of great help in relieving vaginal itching.
Bath with sea salts
When vaginal itching is the product of a fungus or some bacteria lodged in the intimate area, an excellent home remedy is bathing with sea salts, which will help stop the proliferation of microorganisms to prevent the condition from worsening. To offer relief from itching.
Making one of these baths is very easy. You must add half a cup of sea salt to a container with warm water and mix. Once the preparation is ready, you can sit on the sink and rinse the vagina with this liquid until it runs out. Ideally, take the baths 2 to 3 times every day until symptoms improve.
Apple cider vinegar and aloe vera
Apple cider vinegar is also an excellent home remedy for vaginal itching. Its antibacterial power regulates the vaginal pH level and fights the bacteria and fungi that may be lodged in said area. To use apple cider vinegar, you must add two tablespoons of the product to a cup of warm water and apply to the vagina, leaving it to act for 20 minutes. Then rinse with cool water.
Another alternative is to apply a tiny aloe vera crystal to the affected area so that its antiseptic and soothing benefits help fight any microorganisms that may exist in the vagina while offering a sensation of relief and improvement of discomfort. After applying the aloe vera, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse with fresh water.
Tips to prevent vaginal itching
Once you have experienced this annoying symptom, it is imperative to know how to prevent vaginal itching to avoid going through this again. For this reason, here are some recommendations:
- Wear loose, cotton underwear. Avoid using dental floss.
- Don’t use scented wet towels.
- Don’t use scented pads or panty liners.
- Avoid using intimate deodorants as they increase the risk of fungal and bacterial infection.
- Do not do commercial or homemade douches, as they alter the vaginal pH.
- Do not share your towel with another person.
- Do not stay long in wet clothes.
- Eating yogurts with probiotics helps reduce the risk of vaginal infections.
- Wash your intimate area after every sexual intercourse.
- During menopause, use lubricants to avoid irritations.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for vaginal itching, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.