Back pain is a frequent condition among the reasons for consultation in the medical emergency area. This pain ranges between the lumbar area and the cervical part and for it to occur depends on certain predisposing factors, such as age and type of work.
This part specifically has a posterior convexity called kyphosis, that is, a forward convex and concave backward curvature, this is the continuation of the ribs to the sides that together with the sternum form the rib cage. At FastlyHeal , we will explain to you which are the most common manifestations of back pain and, in addition, how long it takes to heal a back pain specifically.
What is back pain and what are its symptoms
Medical terminology defines back pain as pain in the back of the chest , that is, in the dorsal area of the back at the level of the shoulder blades. Only 12 vertebrae in the spine are related to the area where back pain occurs.
Within the muscular part, those that are related to this painful picture of back pain are the rhomboid muscles (minor and major), which are located below the trapezius muscle.
The characteristic symptom of back pain is that the pain occurs on only one side of the back (right or left), although it is sometimes bilateral. On other occasions, there may also be pain between the scapulae characterized by the presence of constant tension or stinging.
In addition, they can be observed:
- Mechanical symptoms: pain increases with movement and improves in the presence of rest.
- Inflammatory symptoms: inflammation worsens with rest and improves with movement.
Back pain: causes and diagnosis
In order to identify the causes of back pain, it is important to distinguish between the areas in which the symptoms of back pain can manifest. Among the most relevant causes, the following stand out:
- Bad postures , especially those adopted in the workplace, since many people spend approximately 8 hours of work in the same position.
- Sudden movements triggering an inflammatory process in the area.
- Stress as a recurring factor associated with the somatization of emotions
On the other hand, we find other conditions that can favor back pain:
- Repetitive cough
- Sudden movements.
- Spinal deformities.
- Autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis .
- Herniated discs .
- Degenerative processes of the vertebrae, such as osteoarthritis.
- Spontaneous fractures triggered by a process of osteoporosis.
- Trauma, such as falls, direct blows, or fractures.
- Bone decalcification.
The diagnosis, without any doubt, is completely medical through the physical examination and the request for paraclinical tests depending on the severity of the pain. Simple tests, such as a spinal X-ray, to more complex tests such as an MRI or CT scan can be performed.
How long does a back pain take to heal?
The medical visit will be necessary to determine the duration of the back pain, depending on the severity of it. The specialist takes into account aspects such as the behavior of the symptoms, the patient’s age and the basic characteristics of the pain.
- In case of acute pain , product of sudden movements or poor posture, 2 to 10 days of short rest in conjunction with the administration of oral analgesics such as, for example, paracetamol and a drug from the NSAID group with relaxant muscular, the symptoms will improve until the complete disappearance of the symptoms around 6 weeks , approximately.
- On the other hand, subacute back pain lasts between 6 weeks and 3 months and chronic pain can last for 3 months. However, this period of time may decrease depending on the treatment indicated by the specialist. Said treatment can range from rest to the indication of some complementary treatment such as, for example, the practice of massages, stretching in the trigger points and myofascial therapies.
To know specifically the duration of back pain, both the origin of the pain and the age of the patient must be taken into account, in addition to compliance with the pharmacological and physical treatment indicated by the specialists.
How to prevent back pain
To avoid complications, it is important to adopt the following measures , which can help prevent back pain to a great extent:
- Use a firm mattress for rest.
- Avoid wearing shoes that are high heels.
- Maintain good posture when sitting. In the following article, we explain some tips to improve posture .
- Avoid carrying heavy objects.
- Avoid sedentary life.
- Practice low intensity sports activities, such as swimming and yoga.
The symptoms and causes of back pain will be decisive in determining the duration of back pain. Most of them are solved during the first 6 weeks, but it is important to consider visiting the doctor at the right time to avoid complications in relation to this part of the body.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How long does it take to heal a back pain , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.