The lumbago pain is produced in the area lumbar back, which is located in the lower back. The pain is caused by poor posture or excessive physical exertion. This pain affects the different components of the spine, such as ligaments, muscles, vertebrae, etc. We can differentiate different degrees of low back pain according to the time or duration. It is generally classified as acute low back pain if it lasts a few days or chronic low back pain if it lasts for more than three months.
It is one of the ailments par excellence when it comes to back problems. That is why at FastlyHealwe will see what the causes, symptoms, and treatments of low back pain are.
Table of Contents
Symptoms associated with Lumbago
The most common symptom is pain in the lower back. However, it must be taken into account that they vary according to the type of low back pain suffered. Generally, we can detect the following:
- Pain in the lower back can range from mild to severe. The pain can be intensified by performing specific movements.
- Limitation of mobility.
- Muscle contractions cause stiffness and pain.
- Burning sensation
- Feeling of tiredness and tingling in the legs.
If the symptoms worsen and no improvement is experienced, it is essential to see a doctor to make a diagnosis and offer us a solution.
Causes of low back pain
First of all, we must bear in mind that low back pain and its effects can vary depending on factors such as age, sex, height, and weight, as well as our physical condition. Thus, people over 30 years of age, pregnant, with bad habits, or suffering from arthritis or osteoporosis have a higher risk of suffering from pain in the lower back.
It can develop due to poor posture when performing tasks, an activity involving high physical effort, or simply by a poor position when stretched, sitting or standing. Depending on the degree of the injury, the aches and pains will vary, being more or less intense and leading to different difficulties for the sufferer. We can differentiate two causes of Lumbago according to the origin:
- Mechanical origin. It occurs when any of the elements that make up the lower back are affected, such as the appearance of arthritis or osteoporosis and damage to the vertebral disc responsible for separating the vertebrae. Bad posture and sports physical exercises without good execution can also lead to the development of low back pain.
- Inflammatory origin. It was produced by diseases that affect vertebrae, nearby joints, or tendons, causing inflammation of the same.
Treatment for lower back pain
Several tips can be taken into account when we detect the symptoms of low back pain. These recommendations can help us to overcome the pain and, depending on the degree of complexity of the low back pain, solve the problem. These are simple measures that will allow us to obtain results efficiently and quickly:
- Discontinue physical activity. A few days of rest will help us not to overwork the affected area and relieve pain and inflammation in the lower back. This does not imply the need to complete rest and not carry out any activity during the day. Still, instead, it is about removing those tasks that involve more significant physical effort.
- Apply cold and heat for a few days. When the first symptoms appear, we can use ice for the first 48 hours and, later, apply heat to the affected area using an electric mat.
- Take painkillers such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol since they will help reduce inflammation and thus relieve pain.
- Go to a physical therapist. This expert will be able to perform back massages that help us to revitalize the affected area and relieve the pain disappear.
- Perform exercises that help strengthen the lower back.
It is important not to withdraw all physical activity from the routine but only to dispense with the tasks that involve a more significant effort during the first days and gradually incorporate different exercises to strengthen the lower back.
When to visit the doctor?
Taking into account that, in general we can differentiate between two types of low back pain, the visit to the doctor will depend on several factors :
- The onset of pain in the affected area.
- The intensity of color.
If, for example, we have felt pain for two days, but this discomfort is moderate, perhaps several days of rest is sufficient. If we feel excruciating pain, it is probably best to visit the doctor for a solution.
On the other hand, if the pain lasts for more than three months, we can consider Lumbago chronic, so we must go to the doctor as soon as possible to treat it. However, it is always better to go to the doctor if you have doubts or do not know if the pain you have to avoid possible risks. When the doctor has been able to make a diagnosis, the safest thing is that you should do one of these treatments:
- Medicines. The doctor will recommend anti-inflammatories, analgesics, and muscle relaxants in this case. The lucky treatment will be enough within 2 or 3 weeks.
- Physiotherapist or rehabilitation. It consists of performing massages or applying heat to the affected area.
- Surgery. If none of the above cases has been effective or the doctor deems it appropriate, surgical intervention will be performed.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Lumbago: symptoms, causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our category of Bones, Joints and Muscles .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.