The low back pain or lumbago refers to the pain that occurs in the lower back, which is called loins. This is a common condition in many people, and that specific area of the back is the one that suffers the most because it supports most of the body’s weight. Its causes are diverse but the most frequent is that it is due to tears, contractures or sprains caused by injuries or carrying out sudden movements continuously; in other more serious cases, it can be a consequence of herniated disc or osteoarthritis. In FastlyHealwe show some home remedies for lumbago They can help to alleviate discomfort, but these should be a natural complement to the treatments prescribed by the doctor and never used as a substitute.
Table of Contents
Symptoms of lumbago
The low back pain or lumbago is manifested by a pain of varying intensity in the region of the lower back, in addition to this can present symptoms as detailed below:
- Pain in the lower back that can sometimes spread to other areas such as the buttocks, the back of the thighs and the groin. This pain is usually worse when the patient moves and performs any daily task.
- Limitation of mobility in the spine and stiffness in the back muscles.
- Muscle contractions in the back.
- Tingling sensation in the lower back, buttocks, and legs.
- Due to the pain and contractures, the back can tilt to one side, adopting an inappropriate posture.
It is essential to consult your doctor if you suffer from low back pain and carefully follow his instructions. Likewise, the consultation should be urgent in the event that the pains appear after a strong blow or fall, or appear accompanied by other symptoms such as blood in the urine, redness or swelling in the back, numbness or fever.
Hot and cold application
In the same way that it serves to relieve muscle aches, applying cold and heat to the affected area is also a good home remedy to soothe the discomfort caused by low back pain. The alternation of both temperatures is excellent to create a thermal contrast that favors inflammation, relaxes the muscles and increases blood flow, thus contributing to a faster recovery.
To carry out this treatment, a cold compress or some ice covered with a cloth should first be placed on the lower back for about 15 minutes. After that time, it will be time to place a heating pad or a hot water compress in the same area, waiting another 15 minutes to feel relief at the end.
This is a remedy that can be repeated several times a day in case the pain is quite intense and strong.
Massages with essential oils
There are several essential oils that are used to treat muscle aches and conditions such as low back pain because they have interesting soothing, relaxing and anti-inflammatory properties. We recommend massaging the lumbar area by gently rubbing for a few minutes with any of the following oils, just apply a few drops and wait for the skin to fully absorb the product:
- Lavender oil: provides anti-inflammatory effects, is relaxing and helps reduce muscle tension.
- Rosemary oil: improves blood circulation and has calorific properties, which are excellent for improving muscle and bone ailments such as low back pain, arthritis, osteoarthritis, sprains, etc.
- Arnica oil: stands out for reducing inflammatory processes and helping to relieve muscle and joint ailments. In addition, it is ideal for improving the appearance of the skin.
- Rue and almond oil: the mixture of these two oils is a popular natural treatment to reduce low back pain and prevent the area from being in continuous tension.
Ginger, a great natural anti-inflammatory
The ginger is a very special food of Chinese origin that has become an ally perfect for treating various diseases and ailments. Among its most outstanding properties , is its anti-inflammatory and analgesic capacity , making it a good natural solution to relieve muscle and rheumatic pain.
To combat low back pain, it is possible to take advantage of the benefits of this root in two different ways:
- Prepare a ginger infusion by adding 10 g of sliced ginger to a cup of boiling water, let it rest for 10 minutes and strain the liquid obtained. When it is tempered, take one or two cups a day.
- Use it as a poultice: add two large tablespoons of ginger to half a liter of boiling water and let it rest for 10 minutes. After this time, soak a gauze with the preparation and place it on the painful region, allowing it to act for a long time to notice the relief. This treatment can be repeated even 3 times a day.
The chamomile is used to treat disorders of the digestive system, but is also a great home remedy for lumbago. This is because it acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory, as it dilates the blood vessels and allows the blood not to accumulate excessively in the affected area. In addition, it has relaxing and sedative effects that promote relaxation of the muscles.
It is recommended to use chamomile externally to reduce the symptoms of low back pain. To do this, it is possible to perform circular massages on the lumbar region with chamomile oil or prepare an infusion by adding 2 tablespoons of chamomile flowers in half a liter of boiling water, and apply a gauze soaked in it as a poultice.
Among the anti-inflammatory medicinal plants, horsetail is one of the best to combat muscle ailments and promote the recovery of patients suffering from low back pain, contractures, strains, tenidinitis, among others. In addition, its silicon content is very good for strengthening bones and promoting their regeneration in case of injuries.
As with chamomile, it is advisable to use horsetail as a poultice. That is why you should start preparing an infusion by adding 2 tablespoons of horsetail in half a liter of boiling water, wet a gauze with it and place it on the painful area, letting it rest for 10 or 15 minutes.
Poultice with cabbage leaves
Cabbage leaves have been proven to have very powerful anti-inflammatory properties and are incredible for relaxing back muscles and reducing pain in any area of the back. So it can also be relieving in cases of low back pain, contractures and muscle stiffness.
The treatment consists of first crushing two cabbage leaves and then adding them to a container full of cold milk. Stir so that they are well soaked and leave to rest for about 5 minutes. After this time, they should be placed in the lumbar region and held with the hands so that they do not fall or secure them with some type of bandage. It is important to hold them in this position for 15 minutes for them to take effect.
More recommendations to relieve lumbago
In addition to the use of the above home remedies for low back pain, the following recommendations help patients to relieve pain and cope with this condition, while avoiding its aggravation:
- Avoid sitting or standing for too many hours.
- Adopt a correct posture when walking or sitting. It is important to keep your back straight and your head upright at all times. It may be beneficial to initiate postural reeducation therapy in the hands of physiotherapists and specialists.
- Sleep on a quality and firm mattress. It is important to adopt a good posture during rest, being the fetal position the best option by placing a pillow between the legs. It is also advisable to sleep on your back with a pillow between your knees and keeping your arms extended at the sides of the body.
- Reduce physical activity in case of low back pain and, later, gradually resume it. It is advisable to do a light aerobic workout , such as walking, swimming or cycling, and combine it with stretching exercises to strengthen the muscles of the back.
- Avoid carrying a lot of weight and learn to lift objects correctly. It is essential to bend down bending the knees and never do it by straining the spine, as new injuries could appear.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for lumbago , we recommend that you enter our category of Bones, Joints and Muscles .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.