Although genital yeast infections are more common in women, there is also the possibility that men will get a fungal infection in their genital area. The person responsible for this infection is the yeast Candida Albicans. When it grows excessively on the skin of the genitals can cause the appearance of symptoms such as pimples on the glans, redness, and itching in it, among others. Usually, men contract genital yeast infection after having sex with a woman who has a vaginal yeast infection, but other factors can predispose them to this condition. So that you can know more details, in the following FastlyHealarticle, we explain what the symptoms of fungus on the glans are, as well as its treatment and appropriate prevention measures.
Table of Contents
Causes of fungus on the penis
As in the case of women, the cause of fungus on the male genitalia is the overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans. This microorganism lives in balance in certain parts of our body, such as the oral cavity, the stomach, the skin, or the genital area. Still, when it multiplies and proliferates for some reason, it gives rise to the symptoms of what we know, like a yeast infection.
In the case of male genital candidiasis, the factors that can lead to an overgrowth of candida Albicans and, therefore, develop a yeast infection in the penis are those shown below.
In general, men tend to develop genital candidiasis when they have had sex with a woman who has a vaginal yeast infection, as this condition is much more common among women. Even though the defenses of the skin of the penis act by actively fighting against yeast, the fact of coming into direct contact with the genital area of an infected person makes such protection impossible, and the levels of candida Albicans rise.
Weakened immune system
Our immune system keeps the yeast levels in the body under control; however, when weakened and defenses are lowered, these levels likely increase, and a fungal infection develops.
For this reason, this condition is more common in newborns, people with HIV, or those who are taking antibiotics.
Other risk factors
- Excessive consumption of sugar in the diet.
- Not having a circumcised penis.
- Have diabetes
- Washing the genital area with harsh or irritating soaps.
- Have obesity
How to know if I have fungus on the glans: symptoms
In men, the symptoms of genital candidiasis are usually manifested on the glans penis, although they can also spread throughout the foreskin and the skin of the penis. Next, we detail which are the most common symptoms of glans fungus:
- Skin rash or rash on the glans (red and white dots).
- Itching and burning.
- Thick, white, abnormal secretions.
- Pain or discomfort in the penis during sexual intercourse.
- Discomfort when urinating
- Drier or cracked penis skin.
When infections are not treated with the right drugs, yeast infection symptoms can worsen and affect the entire genital area, including the scrotum.
How to cure fungus on the penis
Faced with any of the above symptoms, it is essential to go to the doctor and start the appropriate treatment for fungus in the male genitalia.
Cream for fungus on the glans
Typically, glans fungus creams are prescribed topical antifungal medications that help fight Candida Albicans overgrowth in 7 and 14 days. This type of drug should be applied directly to the skin of the affected penis following the guidelines that the doctor has indicated regarding the frequency of application and the duration of the treatment since if it is suspended in advance, the infection will not be cured by complete. In those cases in which fungus symptoms on the glans are more severe, the specialist may prescribe an antifungal treatment by mouth. If, after the end of medical treatment, the symptoms do not disappear, the doctor should be consulted again.
In addition to the application of creams for genital fungi or the prescribed oral treatments, it is essential that the affected person temporarily suspend sexual intercourse until the infection has been completely cured. Otherwise, there is a high risk of contagion.
Glans fungus: natural treatment
Aside from medical treatment, some natural products can work well, help relieve symptoms of genital yeast infection, and slow the growth of yeast. Among the most effective home remedies for male genital fungi are the following:
- Natural yogurt: contains probiotics that act against the excessive growth of yeasts. Include this food in your diet or apply a little of it to the damaged area and leave it to work overnight.
- Apple cider vinegar: helps balance the body’s pH, is antibacterial and antifungal. Add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar to the bathwater and soak the affected area for about 20 minutes.
- Tea tree oil: is one of the most potent natural antibacterials and antifungals. Dilute about 20 drops of this oil in a container with water and wash the affected area with the preparation.
- Raw garlic: has antifungal, antibiotic, and antibacterial properties. You can add it to meals or buy garlic capsules sold in herbalists or stores specializing in the sale of natural products.
If you want to know more details about these and other natural treatments, see the article Home remedies for fungus on the penis.
How to prevent fungus on the male genitalia
Some of the measures that can be taken to prevent fungus on the penis are the following:
- Maintain good intimate hygiene and wash the genital area daily with mild soaps.
- Always keep the close area dry, avoiding excessive humidity.
- Use a condom in all sexual relations.
- Wear loose clothing items that facilitate perspiration.
- Take care of your daily diet and avoid excessively consuming foods rich in sugars.
- In the case of having diabetes, keep blood glucose levels well controlled.
In addition, we recommend that you consult the article Foods to combat candidiasis.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Fungi on the glans: symptoms and treatment, we recommend that you enter our category of Male reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.