The presence of fat balls in the body can go unnoticed for a long time. Although their appearance can sometimes resemble a tumor, they are benign lesions; they are not carcinogenic. They occur in any part of the body, such as the neck, back, trunk, arms, thighs, buttocks, etc.
Adults between the ages of 40 and 60 are at high risk of suffering from these injuries, although they are also present in children and young people. As you get older, the frequency of appearance increases. Their characteristics make them easy to recognize; keep reading this FastlyHealarticle to find out why fat balls appear in the body and how to eliminate them.
Table of Contents
Lipomas or fat balls on the body: what are they?
Known as adipose tumors or lipomas, they are benign fatty tissue tumors found under the skin and are very common in soft tissue. Its appearance is round, like a softball that can be moved between the fingers, and is slow-growing. The size of this mass varies; it can be less than one centimeter or exceed 6 centimeters.
Fat pellets are very common in adults and are generally painless. In women, it is common to see the presence of a lipoma or fat ball; in the case of men, several lesions may appear; this phenomenon is known as lipomatosis.
Why do fat balls appear on the body?
The exact cause of fat cysts is unknown, but it has been pointed out that there is a significant genetic factor since people who have direct relatives with a tendency to present fat balls are more likely to develop them. In addition to this, other risk factors that can answer the question of why fat balls appear in the body are:
- Suffering trauma to the legs or thighs.
- Obesity can precisely influence the development of a fat ball or lipoma because it is a lesion whose content is fat.
- People who suffer from liver disease or consume high amounts of alcohol are more likely to develop these lesions.
According to their location, lipomas can be:
- Superficial or cutaneous: they are located in the subcutaneous tissue, that is, just under the skin. These are the ones that are located on the neck, back, and shoulders. They can appear on the arms, thighs, and even the buttocks region less frequently.
- Deep: they are located in deep regions at the level of the tongue, gums, hands, and feet. Its presence is made evident by the appearance of some nerve compression or limitation of mobility.
Fat balls in the body: how to get rid of them
The presence of fat balls in the body in very few cases causes discomfort. If any discomfort appears, such as pain or increases in size, it is essential to see a doctor. If necessary, the specialist may indicate the removal of the lesion.
In cases where the harrow cyst requires treatment, the following procedures should be performed:
- Surgical removal: it should be used when there is a functional limitation to performing a movement, such as a joint or the presence of pain that limits the performance of the physical activity. Outpatient surgery is performed with the application of local anesthesia through an incision where the fat ball is located. It is rare for a lipoma to reappear after its removal. It can also be removed for cosmetic reasons.
- Liposuction: is another technique used for the removal of a lipoma. It is done through a large needle or syringe that allows the contained fat to be removed.
How to avoid the appearance of fat balls in the body
Several tips can help to some extent, prevent the appearance of fat cysts on the body:
- Have healthy eating habits
- Reduce or eliminate the consumption of saturated fat from the daily diet.
- Avoid the consumption of white flour, whole milk, and red meat.
- Increase the consumption of vegetables and fruits to cleanse the body by eliminating toxins.
- Consume 2 liters of water a day.
- Increase the consumption of Omega-3 because it limits the development of fatty tissue. In the following article, you can see which foods are richer in Omega-3.
Despite being benign lesions, the appearance of fat balls in the body should be evaluated by the surgeon in cases where it causes symptoms. The specialist will be in charge of making the diagnosis and, according to the symptoms, deciding if the lipoma needs to be removed.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Fat balls in the body: why they come out and how to eliminate them , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.