It is unusual to speak of chills without fever, as the elevated temperature is usually the cause of the chills most of the time. Medically, these are an automatic and involuntary muscle contraction that regulates the temperature inside the body, which is why it usually appears with fever, and the one who perceives it describes it as a feeling of cold and tremors.
The causes of chills without fever can be multiple and varied, they can range from low blood sugar levels to the intake of some medications, that is why at FastlyHealwe will help you clarify your doubts. Do you want to know what are the most common causes of chills without fever? Keep reading this article and, in addition, we will explain what the ideal treatment is before the relevant medical evaluation.
Causes of chills without fever
The chill is a common response of the body when faced with changes in temperature, in fact it serves to provide body heat and raise the low body temperature through a continuous and rapid contraction and relaxation of the muscles. Chills are one of the main symptoms of hypothermia, and both children and the elderly are more likely to suffer from it.
The hypoglycemia is the technical name for sugar levels in the blood decreased below normal values. Its symptoms may include chills without fever in addition to:
- Difficulty with vision.
- Soft spot.
- Intense sweating
Symptoms vary from person to person. In many cases, hypoglycemia is related to uncontrolled or decompensated diabetes mellitus.
It is likely that, in the presence of a urinary tract infection, chills will occur without fever, it may also be accompanied by other symptoms such as:
- Painful urination (dysuria).
- Urine that smells like ammonia.
- Pelvic pain.
- If the infection becomes complicated, that is, it ascends from the urinary tract to the kidneys, an increase in temperature above 38.5 ° C may appear.
This pathology is frequent in women more than in men. The infectious focus can begin in the urethra and then ascends to the bladder, finally, if the appropriate medical treatment is not followed, it can be established in the kidneys.
The Hypothyroidism is a condition that causes the thyroid gland make the appropriate amount of thyroid hormone. Being one of those in charge of regulating the temperature, the affectation in the thyroid will make the body more sensitive to cold temperatures.
Other symptoms can be associated with this pathology, such as:
- Menstrual disturbances
- Pale mucous membranes.
- Weight gain.
- Arthralgia (joint pain).
Use of some medications
The presence of chills without fever is common as a side effect of some drug treatments. Some drugs cannot be mixed with others; In addition to this usual manifestation, other symptoms such as nausea, drowsiness, hypersensitivity may be evidenced.
When there is not an adequate intake of nutrients, that is, having a poor diet or suffering from poor digestion with the consequent food malabsorption, there may be chills without fever in addition to symptoms such as fatigue, tiredness, weight loss, dizziness. There may also be depression and exhaustion.
The lack of iron can manifest itself with tremors and chills in the absence of fever, in fact, it is the main symptom of anemia . In addition, the deficit of hemoglobin (protein present in red blood cells) can also be accompanied by:
- Pale mucous membranes.
- Headache (headache).
Having an anxiety crisis or panic attack, can manifest with chills without fever, it can also be accompanied by:
- Chest pain.
- Affraid to die.
In the following article we explain the main aspects of generalized anxiety .
Recommendations for chills without fever
In the presence of clinical manifestations related to chills without fever , it is recommended:
- Rest properly and without interruptions at least 8 hours a night.
- Include complete nutritional foods in the daily diet , it is recommended 3 main meals in the day and 2 alternate snacks in each of them, including the consumption of fruits, vegetables, vegetables and even energy bars.
- Exercising regularly for at least 30 minutes a day, low intensity exercises are sufficient such as: walking, jogging, swimming, stimulating the circulatory system.
- Ingesting the right amount of water is vital to avoid chills, favors digestion and stimulates organic functioning properly.
- Taking a hot bath relieves episodes of chills, relaxes and soothes the body.
- The use of vitamin B complex stimulates and maintains body homeostasis (balance of the internal environment), improves body energy and also relieves chills.
- Drinking warm water relaxes the body, promotes digestion, and reduces chills.
How to get rid of chills without fever
Undoubtedly, if you have chills without fever and can be related to any of the causes that we have explained in the first section, the ideal is to treat each one properly and under the medical indication of the appropriate treatment:
In addition to reducing the risks of presenting adverse drug effects, it is advisable to include natural alternatives while going for the pertinent medical evaluation.
Treat infectious processes of the urinary tract
In addition to treating infectious processes following the doctor’s instructions, we recommend:
- Hydration : it is recommended to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day to keep the urinary tract clean and in optimal function.
- Avoid caffeine : avoid caffeinated beverages, in case you consume them.
- Wear clean cotton clothing.
Treat anemia and malnutrition
- Consume foods rich in vitamin B12 : present in seafood, soy milk, red meat, low-fat dairy, cheese and eggs;
- Eat foods rich in iron : present in foods such as red meat, pork, beans, spinach, bread and pasta.
- Balanced diet : a good diet is important, based on carbohydrates and vitamins and also adding fruits and vegetables to the diet,
A timely medical visit will indicate the treatment for the thyroid. In addition, you should avoid worsening this situation by reducing tobacco habits and reducing soy consumption.
Increasing the consumption of foods rich in carbohydrates, especially before exercises. Finally, it is recommended to avoid excessive alcohol consumption while reducing glucose secretion.
Natural remedies for chills
Here are some of the top home remedies for chills :
- A mixture of ginger powder and black pepper diluted in 1 cup of boiling water. It is useful to reduce chills, it is recommended to drink at least 2 cups a day.
- As a second therapy, 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon is used in 1 cup with boiling water. It is recommended to eat the hottest thing you can tolerate, avoiding of course burns.
- As a last natural option, it is recommended to take an infusion with chamomile , 1 tablespoon diluted in 1 cup of water, boil for 5 minutes, let it rest and drink.
At FastlyHealwe recommend you visit the doctor for a complete assessment on a regular basis, without waiting for severe symptoms to appear when health is seriously affected by any disease. The doctor is in charge of answering your questions, examining you physically and offering you the appropriate treatment. Natural remedies are good, but they should not override a medical consultation.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Chills without fever: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Brain and nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.