Fever is a reaction of the body against infections or different diseases. It implies an increase in temperature necessary for the immune system to work correctly. So, is it convenient to lower the temperature in case of fever? Can alcohol help you in this case?
If you want to know more about this, how you can lower your temperature and whether it is good to drink alcohol with a fever, continue reading this article by FastlyHeal.
Table of Contents
What is the fever for
There are many different reasons why the body thermostat increases the temperature, resulting in fever. Contrary to what many think is a good thing, it is a reaction that the body generates to solve the problem that bothers it. Whether it is due to a virus, a bacterium, or a more chronic disease, by increasing the body temperature, the functions of the immune system develop more efficiently. Viruses and bacteria will be eliminated more easily, even when the discomfort caused by the fever is significant.
Therefore, the fever should be allowed to do its job at the first moment of the disease. Another is the case in young children and older adults, in which the high demand for metabolism can affect them. On the other hand, the elderly have a fever when a process is already very advanced (it costs them more to raise the temperature), which when having a fever and it is time to act.
Can you drink alcohol with a fever?
Alcohol is a product of the fermentation of fruit or grain juice, there are different types of alcohol, and there are different grades. The higher the strength, the stronger it is and the more (harmful) effect on the body.
The consumption of alcohol leads to the production of calories, this has made many people consider that it is food, but eating goes beyond that. If the supposed food generates toxicity and damage in the body, it is not. The calories it causes do not help the body function better. It does not rebuild tissues or have beneficial functions in the body.
It does not mean that occasional and moderate consumption is serious, but we are not helping the body with it.
Regarding whether or not it is good to drink alcohol when you have a fever, you have to be clear: alcohol is not good in case of fever or flu, and this is because:
- Alcohol in the body requires effort for its metabolism, which is needed to deal with the cause of the fever and restore the lost balance.
- Some of the alcohol that is not metabolized in the liver follows other routes to be eliminated: the kidney, the skin, and the respiratory system (for this reason, the breathalyzer test can be carried out with an exhalation). The respiratory system is overloaded with harmful substances, causing more mucus production in the event of the flu, which hinders the oxygenation of the blood, and other substances that require it are not purified, accumulating more toxins.
- Although, as we have seen, part of the alcohol is eliminated through the skin and causes the vessels of the skin to dilate and sweat, it does not mean that it is an excellent way to equate the temperature to normal since it increases the temperature on the surface of the body, but not on the inside. In this area, the cause of fever must be fought.
- Alcohol makes the immune system work less efficiently, with which any microorganism or factor that causes fever will be poorly fought, slowing down the healing process.
All these effects are even worse when the person who drinks alcohol is at the extreme of life: children or older adults since it will cost them even more to metabolize this poison.
How to lower a fever
As we have said, it has been shown with different scientific studies what has been known for a long time. Still, we decided to forget that it is good to have a fever because we did not want to feel discomfort. It is good that the immune system works at a higher temperature when it needs it. Therefore, it is advisable not to treat the fever at first. If it lasts for several days, if the person who suffers it is a small child or an older adult, it is advisable to go to a trusted doctor to evaluate the cause of the fever and, thus, be able to establish an appropriate treatment.
Meanwhile, if you want to lower the fever, you can use different methods:
- Coldwater baths: natural or cold water will lower the body temperature. You can also apply cool washcloths to your head, armpits, and groin and change them after warming up.
- Antipyretics: the most frequently used are anti-inflammatories. The one that has the best effect to lower the temperature is paracetamol. If it is not enough, you can use ibuprofen, but you should avoid using aspirin.
- Lemon: Lemon is effective in lowering body temperature. Drink it freshly squeezed diluted in water 1 hour before or two after the meal.
- Carrot: the juice of this vegetable is also used to lower fever.
Other necessary measures in case of fever:
- Drink water: drinking enough water is necessary when you have a fever. In this way, the body is adequately hydrated, and its functioning will be more effective.
- Eat only if you are hungry: the body is wise, and if you know how to listen to it, you will be able to recover faster. Generally, when you have a fever, there is no hunger, which must be respected since fasting has proven to be effective for the body to concentrate on working on what it needs. Suppose you eat large amounts of food or difficult things to digest (such as chicken broth, which is so typically indicated). In that case, your body will expend the valuable energy it needs to resolve the cause of the fever.
- For this reason: if you are hungry, eat raw fruits and vegetables, fruit juices are ideal. Cooked foods increase body temperature.
- Keeping rest: when you have a fever, you don’t want to get up, which is the best. Keeping rest and rest, sleeping what you need, will help you recover faster.
You can expand this information by consulting the article How to lower fever in adults at home.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Can, you drink alcohol with a fever? We recommend that you enter our Immune System category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.