Surely more than once, you have heard of the Pilates method, which is favorable for your physical and mental health, but why? In this FastlyHealarticle, we will discuss this revolutionary method that has gained the trust of many people, making it one of the most practiced exercises today.
This sports practice was founded by the German Joseph Hubertus Pilates, a doctor who created this training following different physical and mental principles. Keep reading this article, and you will discover what the Pilates method is and its benefits.
Table of Contents
What is the Pilates method?
In general terms, we can say that the Pilates method is a training that is designed to exercise the mind and body through gentle movements that require great concentration. This type of exercise is essential to balance strength, resistance, flexibility, and self-control. It is considered one of the best practices to achieve complete work for all this.
The creator of this revolutionary method is, as we have already indicated previously, Joseph Hubertus Pilates, a German doctor who, during his childhood, suffered from different diseases, which is why he began to investigate other techniques of oriental medicine that managed to establish the bases of what which we now know as the Pilates method. The principles on which this training is governed are the following:
- Alignment: that is, learning to correctly position the spine to achieve a better posture that, in the long run, will benefit your whole body.
- Centralization: refers to the importance of the major muscles of the body (abdomen, lumbar, hips, and buttocks) that are involved in the development of all the postures that are carried out during Pilates sessions.
- Concentration: it is the fundamental principle that will unite the mind and the body during the elaboration of the exercises. In this sense, it should be noted that the Pilates method is also known as “Western yoga” because it has the same objective of balancing these two poles of our existence (the mind and the body).
- Control: being able to control our body thanks to the mind is another of the foundations of this methodology. Thanks to being still and stable, we avoided any sudden movements and, therefore, suffered injuries.
- Accuracy: each position must be exercised precisely since each Pilates posture has a reason for being, and to benefit ourselves, it will be vital that we know how to do it correctly.
- Fluidity: the movements have to be fluid and not force any body part. Otherwise, you could feel discomfort. The best thing is that you try to make the changes natural, although this is usually achieved after practicing.
- Breathing is one of the most critical points of exercise since it is essential that our body can oxygenate itself and clean the bloodstream. This is achieved thanks to the inhalation and exhalation of air.
Thus, as you can see, the Pilates method is not only another type of exercise, but it is a philosophy designed to exercise the body and also mind. The objective of this type of training is to learn to control and become aware of your body and achieve muscular balance and improve flexibility and joints.
Once you know what the Pilates method consists of, you must know the benefits since both physical and mental health benefit from this sport. Some of the most positive effects are as follows:
- Improved breathing: as we have already indicated, one of the principles of this method is to learn to oxygenate the body through breathing. Each posture is tuned with the breath to achieve a fluid and natural movements. Thanks to Pilates, you will improve your breathing and, thus, relieve anxiety, get away from stress and sleep soundly at night.
- Toning the significant muscles: in section 1, we have already told you that the muscles used for all postures are those found in the center of the body (abdomen, lumbar, hips, and buttocks) so thanks to these exercises, you will get improve the toning of this area, reducing the accumulation of fat and smoothing the skin.
- Improvement of the joints: during a Pilates session, you will see how the exercises are repeated harmoniously, and these repetitions improve joint health and increase flexibility. This is perfect to avoid injuries and pain related to these body parts.
- Reduces stress: thanks to the fact that it is a practice that requires total mental concentration that must be accompanied by breathing, Pilates manages to reduce anxiety and stress, favoring a calmer and more relaxed life.
The pilates ball or fitball
The ball commonly used in Pilates classes is known as “fitball” or “Swiss ball” and was initially created for therapeutic purposes but is currently used for many fitness classes, especially for pilates sessions. The reason that it is incorporated into the sessions is that thanks to this ball, it is possible to intensify the bodybuilding exercises, especially those that have to do with the abdominals.
It is vitally important that you know how to correctly choose the best fitball for you because, depending on the choice you make, its function will be favorable for your body or harmful. Balls that are too big for our body make exercises more unstable and, therefore, much more challenging to do; Those that are smaller make us not practice the posture correctly and force our muscles, thus increasing the risk of injury.
Therefore, we must know how to choose the proper football for our body taking into account its proportions and height. To find out if a Pilates ball is right for you, you will have to sit on top of it and check that your legs create a 90-degree angle concerning the ground; if so, we can keep it.
To start using the fitball in Pilates classes, you will have to place it on a mat or a surface that prevents it from slipping. This ball will make you have to intensify your concentration to hold the balance of your body well, making the force you execute greater.
To start using a pilates ball, it is essential that, in the beginning, you do it following the guidelines of a monitor or a specialist to avoid bad posture, errors in its use and to be, thus, prevented possible injuries. In addition, it is essential to accompany all exercises with diaphragmatic breathing to comply with one of the principles of the Pilates method.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to the Pilates method: what it is and its benefits, we recommend that you enter our Physical Activity category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.