Expulsion of blood at the oral level is a warning sign since this can result from multiple causes. The expelled blood can come from several areas; it passes through the larynx and can come from there or from the lungs, bronchi, trachea, etc. If you spit blood, it is necessary to document yourself and assist the specialist doctor in determining where the blood loss comes from. Some different diseases or alterations can lead to bleeding; some may not be lethal, and others can be hazardous. For all this that FastlyHealwill brings you in detail the possible causes that can cause blood to spit from the mouth: causes.
Table of Contents
Spitting up blood when coughing and blood when vomiting
Spitting blood through the mouth, a condition medically called hemoptysis, in some cases -when it is expelled by coughing- is related to multiple diseases located in different areas of the human body that can become indicators that something severe is happening in the body; Among the possible causes, we will name the most commonly affected areas.
We must make a difference in the expectoration that comes from the lungs and at the gastrointestinal level:
- Blood from the respiratory tract becomes visible when coughing and is usually red with a frothy appearance
- Blood from the digestive tract appears when vomiting and tends to be darker.
- Bronchitis is the inflammation of the airways, which causes a narrowing of them, making it difficult to breathe. The most common signs and symptoms of this long-term condition and shortness of breath are that the person tends to cough up phlegm and blood. It is widespread among cigarette smokers and causes air pollution.
- Pneumonia is another possible cause in which the person can spit blood through the mouth. It is a complication that consists of a virus infection causing inflammation of the lungs. When people who suffer from asthma or bronchitis already have a respiratory tract infection, they should start a treatment consisting of antibiotic therapy to prevent progression.
- Tuberculosis: It is one of the best-known complications; it is characterized by being an infection produced by a bacterium known as “Mycobacterium tuberculosis,” it is responsible for affecting the lungs causing fever, weight loss, coughing up mucus or blood, among other things, and can be spread through airborne exposure.
- Lung cancer: One of the most severe complications. It is characterized by the abnormal growth of malignant cells from lung tissue, which can produce severe symptoms ranging from spitting blood through the mouth to a prolonged cough that does not go away with chest pain. It is more common in people who smoke cigarettes; if you constantly smoke and have this symptom, it is necessary to see a specialist doctor.
- Nosebleeds: Spitting blood through the mouth can also come from this area. Nosebleeds are classified into anterior and posterior nosebleeds. In the case of posterior bleeding, it comes from the bottom of the nose and goes towards the back of the mouth and throat, and the person tends to spit blood through the mouth; This type of nosebleed is generally one of the most severe and frequently affects older people who suffer from increased blood pressure.
- Pulmonary embolisms: It is one of the diseases included in this long list of possible causes of spitting blood. Pulmonary embolism is the obstruction of a pulmonary artery either by fat, a clot, etc. This obstruction produces blood expectoration along with a sudden cough.
The bleeding comes from the digestive tract, which includes or can come from the stomach, esophagus, duodenum, etc. These hemorrhages, also called hematemesis, result from something affecting some of these areas, such as inflammation, a peptic ulcer, and cancer, among others. The amount of blood expelled is visible since it may be dark in color, and the person reports heartburn.
- A peptic ulcer is a lesson that covers the mucosa that lines the stomach or duodenum and can be produced by a breakdown of this lining by acids from the stomach.
- Cancer of the stomach and esophagus: The uncontrolled growth of malignant cells comes from these areas. As they are malignant type lesions, it is evident that the person tends to spit blood through the mouth. However, it can be confused with an ulcer; a proper diagnosis must be made through a gastroscopic examination.
- Gastritis is the inflammation of the gastric mucosa; it is that layer that lines the stomach and protects it from acids. Very common in those who suffer from constant stress, drugs, or highly acidic foods, including alcohol. Among the most frequent symptoms and stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting is the presence of blood in it.
- Another the possible cause of spitting blood through the mouth may be a consequence of an alteration at the oral level; among these, we can mention one of the most frequently as gingivitis, this being the inflammation of the gum due to the accumulation of bacterial plaque ( food remains) or predisposing factors such as gingivitis during pregnancy, drugs, malnutrition, etc. Periodontitis is also frequent in older adults, smokers, or due to a genetic pattern, with the progression of gingivitis consisting of gingival bleeding at the time of spitting. And in the worst case, it may be due to some pathology with a malignancy character at the oral level, such as oral cancer, which is more frequent in smokers.
Treatment for people who spit blood from the mouth
When any alteration at the respiratory level is suspected, it is recommended to attend the specialist doctor in charge of this branch, known as a pulmonologist; he will be to rule out the possible causes of the condition. This specialist’s tests range from questions to see how the cough, expectoration, breathing, and even a physical examination that consists of lung auscultation to observe if there are noises or if it is normal. Sometimes it is necessary to request a complementary radiographic examination.
If you think you have a gastrointestinal condition, you should locate a specialist doctor in charge of this condition, such as a gastroenterologist. To visualize the digestive system, it is necessary to use endoscopy as a diagnostic method to determine their symptoms and how they have evolved after questioning the patient.
And if you observe that the bleeding is purely oral, the dentist is the most qualified to determine the type of condition it presents. To perform the said evaluation, the dentist begins by inquiring and asking frequent questions, starting with knowing how your brushing technique is, if it is good or poor, as well as your oral hygiene, if you are pregnant or take any medication that causes gingival inflammation, it will determine the probing depth with the periodontal probe, seeing if there is bleeding when the instrument passes.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Spitting blood through the mouth: causes, we recommend that you enter our category of Teeth and mouth .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.