Senile dementia is a syndrome characterized by the loss of mental abilities , especially cognitive ones, of the subject who suffers from it. In this case, it is due to advanced age and is detectable by the associated memory loss, sleep disorders, sudden personality changes and other mental problems.
This degenerative disease mainly affects the elderly and is chronic, so in addition to making their daily life more difficult, it also involves a change in their entire family environment, which must adapt to the problem. Dementia is considered to be the leading cause of disability in the elderly, affecting 20% of people over 80 years of age. At FastlyHealwe tell you the symptoms, types and treatment of senile dementia .
Table of Contents
Types of dementia
Senile dementia, however, is not the only kind of dementia that exists. Here we tell you which are the most frequent:
- Fronto-temporal dementia : this degenerative disorder is characterized by the presence of abnormal substances in the neurons of the frontal and temporal lobes and causes problems related to the sphere of personality.
- Vascular dementia : due to a cardiovascular accident, the blood circulation stops supplying part of the brain, causing the death of the affected neurons. Hypertension or hypercholesterolemia are some of the risk factors.
- Multi-infarct dementia : this type of dementia is caused by the succession of several strokes or cerebral embolisms that result in various residual infarcted areas, resulting in neurological symptoms.
- Binswanger’s disease : it is a subtype of vascular dementia due to high blood pressure, in which degeneration is suffered that limits the amount of blood that reaches the brain. Cells deprived of oxygen deteriorate and die.
- Lewy body dementia : this disease causes a series of abnormal protein deposits to accumulate throughout the brain, affecting the functions of some neurotransmitters; This has repercussions, among others, on perception or behavior.
Symptoms of senile dementia
Among the main symptoms, the following may occur:
- Memory loss : it is the most visible sign of this disease. At first, it is usually revealed with the inability to remember certain details and worsens over time, and can end with the forgetting of close people or actions carried out.
- Language problems : the disease causes difficulties in speaking normally, reading, writing, understanding, reasoning, repeating and performing other actions pertaining to language and communication.
- Motor problems : Another of the most notable symptoms of senile dementia is the inability to use manual skills correctly, which results in clumsiness in movements, difficulty dressing or cleaning and a tendency to fall.
- Mental logic problems : in the same way that it happens with language, there is also an inability to concentrate, recognize, plan or learn.
- Personality problems : dementia also usually produces alterations in personality and character, with the appearance of symptoms of depression, apathy, shyness, nervousness, obsession, aggressive behaviors, etc.
- Physical problems and sleep disorders : In addition, there may also be difficulties controlling urine and eating normally, or insomnia and drowsiness during the day.
Treatment of senile dementia
Senile dementia has no cure, and damaged parts of the brain cannot be recovered. Medication can help reduce some of the symptoms; However, the most effective thing during senile dementia is to receive the care of those closest to you and to perform some routines that improve daily life.
Especially, it is important to surround the subject with friends and family , so that the memory is stimulated, and to perform memory exercises or daily readings to exercise the mind. A proper diet and regular moderate exercise are also factors to consider, so that your physical health is strengthened.
Providing the necessary support, both from the family and from caregivers, is essential to guarantee the correct quality of life for the patient.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Senile dementia: symptoms, types and treatment , we recommend that you enter our category of Mental disorders .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.