People often associate chest pain with heart problems. However, depending on where you feel the pain, the causes that produce it may be one or the other. In this FastlyHealarticle, we delve into right-sided chest pain and its causes.
Due to the location of the heart, heart disease or infarction is usually felt on the left side of the chest, even reflecting on the extremities on that side. When the pain occurs on the right side, it speaks of problems related to other organs.
Generally speaking, chest pains are a symptom to watch out for. The feeling of pressure can be caused by bad breath, excessive exercise or sleep disorders. Despite this, if the condition persists for more than 24 hours, it is advisable to visit a specialist.
Table of Contents
Chest pain is the name given to the pain that affects the rib cage of the human body , that is, from the neck to the upper part of the stomach. The reasons for this ailment can range from muscle inflammation to heart complications.
The pain can vary according to the person and the causes that generate it. Muscle pain is usually felt by touch or when the chest muscles are pressed, while ailment related to heart problems can bring with it other symptoms such as tingling in the left arm or indigestion.
When you feel chest pain, it is important to pay attention to the accompanying symptoms. For example, dizziness, vomiting, disorientation, numbness of limbs, or headache. These additional symptoms are the translators of chest pain and can give clues to the cause of the condition. Additionally, they turn on the alarms regarding the medical attention that the patient may require.
What can be a right side chest pain?
The biggest fear of chest pain is having some heart complication , for example a heart attack, angina pectoris, or another heart disorder. Because the heart is located more to the left side of the chest, affectations of this type are felt on that side. Symptoms associated with a heart problem are manifested by vomiting, dizziness, tingling in the extremities, in addition to chest pain. There is a common tendency to associate stress-related disorders with a heart problem. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the other symptoms mentioned above.
On the right side of the body, many important organs are housed, as well as the pancreas, liver and gallbladder , so when the pain in the chest is on the right side, it has to do with one of those organs. Also pathologies related to the lungs or the respiratory system manifest with pain on the right side of the chest, as well as stomach problems or excess gas.
Why Do I Have Right Side Chest Pain: Causes
- Pancreatitis . Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas due to its malfunction. Although the pain has a greater incidence in the abdomen, it can be reflected in the chest because it is below the ribs. If the pain is accompanied by vomiting, nausea, and bloating, it’s time to call your doctor.
- Pleurisy . A common cause of chest pain on the right side is inflammation or effusion of the pleura. The pleura is the membrane that separates the lungs from the rib cage and can alter its condition due to infections. For example, presence of fungi, herpes or respiratory diseases.
- The pneumonia is one of those diseases that can cause chest pain on the right side. In general, this type of discomfort is also reflected in the back, which allows it to be differentiated from another pathology. In addition, it is accompanied by respiratory failure or spasms.
- Digestive problems. Excess gas from poor digestion can cause chest pain. When this type of pain is felt, the discomfort is usually accentuated by deep breathing. This is what is commonly called “traversing air.” Also the ailments product of gastroesophageal reflux and stomach ulcers can be reflected in the chest. This type of pain is usually felt more in the center of the chest, and heartburn may occur.
- Muscle strain. This condition is very common in athletes or bodybuilders who lift a lot of weight. It can also occur when there is an excess of pectoral exercise.
- Gallstones . Because the gallbladder is on the right side of the stomach, when it becomes inflamed, pain is reflected on that side of the chest. In general, the inflammation is caused by stones or stones and the ailment is intense, so it is very common to be mistaken for a heart attack.
What to do with chest pain on the right side?
The observation is crucial when it comes to chest pains. In general, pain associated with a respiratory or stress condition is not accompanied by another symptom. If, on the contrary, there is presence of fever, excessive sweating or vomiting, it is time to call the doctor.
If the pain persists for more than 20 minutes consistently, it is also a condition for an evaluation. Other serious symptoms can be shortness of breath, trouble breathing, and rapid heartbeat.
Leading a healthy life can prevent problems associated with heart disease, as well as the discomfort that may be reflected in the chest. If you are over 40 years old, lead a sedentary life and have a poor diet, a preventive medical check-up is advisable.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Right Side Chest Pain: Causes , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.