Pain under the ribs is a common discomfort that can be associated with different causes that are worth identifying and, although according to who it may be an alarm symptom, it does not always represent a serious problem if it is detected in time.
Being able to specifically identify where the pain begins is crucial for the doctor in order to determine the reason why it happens and request the corresponding tests, as well as the characteristics of the pain: where is it going? What accompanies it? , What is the intensity? and what calms it down? it is essential when applying the treatment. At FastlyHealwe will explain to you what are the causes of pain under the ribs on the left side .
Table of Contents
Pain under the ribs: common causes
In addition to the ribs, on the left side there are such important organs as:
- Small intestine.
- The descending part the large intestine or colon.
- Left kidney.
- A portion of the pancreas
On the same side but inside the rib cage we also find part of the heart and the left lung.
This is important to know because even though the pain occurs under the ribs, this discomfort can be radiated, that is, it can occur within the rib cage and the pain may manifest under the ribs. Here are the main causes of pain under the left ribs :
- Broken rib: the first reason why pain can occur under the ribs is precisely that there is a broken or fractured rib, the last ribs of the rib cage, the floating ones are much more susceptible to injury, this generates intense pain just below the rib cage which can get worse with movements.
- Gastrointestinal problems : on the other hand, another cause of pain under the ribs on the left side may be related to gastrointestinal discomfort, specifically an inflammatory colopathy, that is, inflammation of the large intestine or descending colon, this pathology is also known as syndrome. irritable bowel. This pain usually starts after the intake of large meals or acidic and spicy foods
- Injury to the spleen : just below the rib cage but behind the stomach, specifically under ribs 9 10 and 11 is this soft organ that is responsible for filtering and destroying old red blood cells, the main symptom of this injury organ is left side abdominal pain in conjunction with bruising, accumulated blood under the skin. The spleen can be injured for multiple causes, notably abdominal trauma or rib fracture. 
Other causes of pain under the ribs on the left side
There are other reasons why pain may occur on the left side just below the ribs, such as:
- Stomach ulcers : or gastric these are nothing more than the lesions that occur in the lining of the stomach, regardless of the reason why this happens, pain may occur under the ribs with a burning sensation.
- Pancreatitis : what is an inflammatory process of the pancreas can manifest itself with pain on the left side, this is a condition considered a medical emergency.
- Panic attacks : it can also be reflected with pain on the left side under the ribs, this is considered referred pain because it can produce symptoms inherent to the heart and respiratory system and reflected in the abdomen.
- Kidney injury : the kidneys are the organs in charge of filtering the blood and freeing the body of all negative toxins through the urine, there are many situations that can affect this organ, however the main reason why pain can occur. On the left side, there are kidney stones that make normal urine formation impossible, limiting the kidney to work optimally, kidney stones also generate an increase in kidney pressure and in turn manifests itself with increased pressure and pain under the ribs on the left side once they begin to mobilize, states Mayo Clinic  .
- Respiratory diseases : generating what is known as a manifestation of pain, respiratory diseases such as pneumonia , tuberculosis or pleurisy can cause severe pain on the left side and below the ribs.
- Heart Attack Pain – Usually manifests on the left side. This is a crushing pain that usually appears in the chest and back but can radiate to the stomach, abdomen, and below the ribs.
Left Front Side Pain: When to See a Doctor
Once the first symptoms of pain appear, regardless of the place of appearance, medical evaluation is important when:
- If the pain extends to the left arm and jaw this indicates an emergency.
- In addition to this, if the pain lasts for more than 3 days and increases in intensity progressively, it is important to go to the emergency room.
- If the pain does not subside with the administration of analgesics.
- If there is a cough with bloody phlegm and night sweats.
- If other symptoms such as sweating, nausea, dizziness or vomiting are associated.
If you are one of those people who is presenting some of these symptoms or manifestations, do not hesitate to go immediately to the doctor to perform the relevant physical examination and indicate the treatment you need according to the cause for which the pain is presenting. under the ribs on the left side.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Pain under the ribs on the left side: causes , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.