Platelets are a type of cell found in the bloodstream; their primary function is to participate in the blood clotting process, slowing down bleeding and preventing excessive blood loss. Therefore, it is essential to maintain platelet levels between 150,000 and 450,000 per cubic millimeter of blood.
In general, some infections, liver and autoimmune diseases, or the use of certain drugs and treatments can cause a decrease in the level of platelets, but an improper diet can also play a role. On many occasions, it is necessary to know which foods can increase low platelets due to chemotherapy or pregnancy, which may be essential to avoid health problems.
For this reason, at FastlyHealwe propose some recipes to increase the platelets that you can incorporate into your diet to improve your health and well-being.
Table of Contents
Foods to raise platelets
You must take into account the foods that will help you achieve your goal:
- Green leafy vegetables: broccoli, spinach, lettuce, chard, or celery are rich in vitamin K, essential for proper blood clotting.
- Legumes: lentils, chickpeas, and beans, among others, will provide you with good doses of iron in the same way that other foods such as liver or red pepper do.
- Citrus fruits and red fruits: the vitamin C they contain also improves the level of platelets; consume oranges, lemons, guavas, strawberries, and plums, among others.
- Fish, lean meat, and eggs: if these foods have something in common, they are a source of protein recommended by specialists when it comes to raising platelets. Go for turkey, chicken, and beef.
- Whole grains: rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients, will improve blood circulation while increasing your platelet levels.
In the following article, we will talk to you, specifically, about foods to raise platelets by chemotherapy.
Orange, carrot, beet, celery, and cucumber juice
When it comes to making fruit and vegetable juice, the options are endless; We assure you that they are delicious and represent an injection of nutrients. For this juice, you will need the following:
- One carrot
- One small beet
- 1 orange
- Half cucumber
- 1 stick of celery
- A glass of water
- Wash all the pieces well.
- Peel the carrot, beet, orange, and cucumber and chop them together with the celery to put them in the blender.
- Add a glass of water and grind all the ingredients until you get a homogeneous drink.
We advise you to try taking it for breakfast since it will provide you with a good dose of vitamins and minerals in addition to raising your platelets.
Broccoli and sunflower seed salad
Without a doubt, it is a straightforward and perfect recipe to increase our platelet level. Write down the ingredients:
- 8/10 raw broccoli heads
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- A handful of walnuts
- 1 carrot
- 1 beet
- One clove of garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
Wash all the vegetables well, peel the carrot and beets and chop them. Bring salted water to a boil and cook the carrot and broccoli heads for about 5 minutes to soften a little but are not thoroughly cooked. Drain and let cool.
Now you have to put all the ingredients on a plate; also add the crushed garlic clove, olive oil, salt to taste, and a few drops of lemon juice. You will enjoy a nutritious and delicious dinner.
Garlic soup to raise platelets quickly
Garlic is another perfect ally to achieve our goal, in addition to improving health, since it is a food with multiple properties. To take advantage of it, we suggest you prepare a garlic soup; you will need the following:
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 grams of ham in cubes
- A slice of stale or toasted bread
- One glass of vegetable broth
- A quarter of an onion
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- Olive oil
Fry the slice of bread, cut very thin, in a saucepan with the olive oil to brown it nicely. Once removed from the heat, take a few drops of the oil used to fry the garlic clove, the chopped onion quarter, and the ham cubes.
Add the vegetable broth and let it rest on the heat for a few minutes to soak up the flavor. Then remove the garlic clove and add the bread, parsley, and a pinch of salt to the broth, and keep it on the fire for about 10 minutes.
Finally, preheat the oven to medium heat, put the soup in a clay pot, and crack the egg. Please put it in the oven and wait until the white sets.
Lentils with vegetables to raise blood platelets
There is no dish richer in iron than legumes with vegetables. In this case, we suggest that you prepare it with the following ingredients; keep in mind that the elements will be enough for a couple of servings:
- 200 grams of lentils
- 1 carrot
- 1 small onion
- Half green pepper
- Half a red pepper
- Two cloves of garlic
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 ml of water
- One tablespoon of sweet paprika
Rinse the lentils and put them in a pot with the water, the bay leaf, the sweet paprika, and a pinch of salt—Cook over medium heat.
Meanwhile, chop the onion and garlic and cook in a pan with olive oil until lightly browned. Then remove them from the oil and add the mixture to the lentils.
Cut the green and red peppers into small pieces and cook them in the same oil that we used previously; Sauté for a few minutes with a bit of salt, then add the carrot, well peeled and chopped, and wait a few more minutes. When the vegetables are to your liking, set them aside.
After about 45 minutes, the lentils will be tender. Take them off the heat, add the reserved vegetables and let them rest. Ready to eat!
Medicines to raise platelets
Although there are certain drugs to raise platelets, not all diseases and conditions that cause a low platelet count are valid to start this treatment. This is the case of injectable romiplostim, a drug used to increase platelet numbers and make it easier for the blood to clot to reduce the possibility of bleeding patients.
However, this drug can only be used in those people who suffer from idiopathic thrombocytopenia, also known as purpura disease, and even in this case, it is reserved for those patients who have not responded to other treatments. In no case can romiplostim injection be used if you suffer from some other disease or condition.
Foods that lower platelets
If you want to increase your total number of platelets, it will not only be enough to eat foods that raise them, but you must also be aware of those products that offer the opposite effect. Otherwise, it may be that what you gain, on the one hand, you are losing on the other without realizing it. Here we explain which are the foods that lower platelets and that, therefore, you should refrain from eating:
- Ginseng: it is an Asian plant that, in recent times, is gaining popularity in Western countries. Its high value as an energizer and antioxidant stands out among its properties. However, ginseng also has a tremendous anticoagulant effect. It lowers platelet levels and is a reason for the first order not to take it.
- Omega 3: is a component that, in a healthy person, can help regulate cholesterol levels, so it should be an essential part of the diet. But if what you want now is to increase your platelet count, you should refrain from eating any food whose content in this fatty acid is high: seafood, oily fish, vegetable oils, or nuts.
Low platelet symptoms
Having low platelets is a condition whose symptoms may not appear, and if they do, they are often very general and mistaken for other states. If it manifests itself in physical changes, the symptoms may be:
- Bruises and bruises without being aware of having hit.
- Bleeding in the nose
- She was bleeding from the mouth when brushing her teeth.
- I am feeling tired.
- Skin rash.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Recipes to raise platelets, we recommend that you enter our Immune System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.