Many women complain of pain in the ovaries and kidneys despite not having periods or not being in the menopausal stage. Not all of them are correct about the exact location of the ovaries and kidneys, confusing whether it is a pain in these organs.
Also, kidney disorders can cause pain on the sides of the abdomen or lower part, associated with ovarian problems. In this FastlyHealarticle, you will discover the causes of ovarian and kidney pain, how to treat it and what remedies can help relieve the discomfort.
Table of Contents
Relationship between the kidneys and the ovaries
The kidneys are part of the urinary system, located in the lower part of the rib cage, on the sides of the spine, and connected to the bladder through tubes called ureters.
The ovaries are located in the pelvis, one on each side. The union of both systems is known as the urogenital apparatus, this is because they share the anatomical space, and their embryological origin is common.
Kidney problems can cause pain on both sides, in the center of the back, and can even reach the pelvis and thighs. The same happens with ovarian disorders, which can cause back pain, especially at the height where they are the kidneys.
Causes of ovarian and kidney pain
The causes that generate pain in the ovaries and kidneys are related to several alterations, among which are:
Ovarian and kidney pain from the rule
- Menstrual pain: this pain can appear due to the action of prostaglandin (a substance that generates contraction of the uterus muscles), which causes the ailment as mentioned above during menstruation. This is one of the most frequent causes of ovarian and kidney pain.
- Painful ovulation: some women can present this pain days before the rule. For many, it is a warning that they are in the period of ovulation. It is a different annoyance than the one that occurs during menstruation.
Ovarian and kidney pain from kidney disease
- Stones in the kidneys are a solid petrified mass that forms due to substances that are part of the urine and that the kidney is responsible for eliminating. Its presence can generate pain radiating to other areas such as the ovaries.
- Urinary tract infection: This infection involves the bladder and urethra. Both areas can become infected by bacteria usually found in the urinary tract. This infection occurs most often during active sexual life, causing pain in the pelvic region that radiates to the ovaries in women.
- Kidney infections: An example of these is pyelonephritis, characterized by fever, chills, abdominal and pelvic pain.
- Polycystic kidney disease: it is genetic kidney disease. It consists of the formation of cysts in the kidneys that cause them to increase in size and progressively stop working. Many of the damage is functionalism, and their presence causes pain in the lower back region that can go to other organs and even the ovaries.
- Kidney cancer: this alteration occurs more and more frequently. A tumor mass in the kidney generates pain in the abdominal and pelvic region that can radiate to other organs near the kidneys.
- Cysts in the ovaries: the presence of lesions in the form of sacs filled with fluid in the ovary or on its surface is called cysts in the ovaries. Their company generates pain in the pelvic area that can reach other organs such as the kidneys.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: this alteration causes pain in the pelvic region that involves the ovaries and kidneys due to their location. Damage to these organs can lead to fertility disorders. It is a disease that is transmitted sexually.
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis occurs when the endometrium grows in areas outside its usual site, such as the ovaries, outer part of the uterus, fallopian tubes, and other abdominal organs such as kidneys, causing pain in the abdominal or pelvic area.
- Ovarian cancer is often found when it has progressed to other abdominal and pelvic cavity organs. It is characterized by presenting pain in this area of vigorous-intensity and other organs such as the kidneys.
Kidney and ovarian pain: pregnancy symptom?
The absence of the rule is a symptom during the first weeks of pregnancy due to the hormonal changes that occur during this stage. The hormonal cycle is interrupted due to the fertilization of the ovum and sperm.
Therefore, the appearance of pain in the kidneys also becomes common. At this stage, it is not related to some diseases but other discomforts associated with the back or pelvis.
Another condition that could cause ovarian and kidney pain is ectopic pregnancy when there is no period. It is a pathological pregnancy because its development occurs outside the uterine cavity. After all, the embryonic egg is located in the fallopian tubes. It causes severe pain in the pelvic area that must be treated urgently.
Ovarian and kidney pain: medical treatment
In the presence of this pain, it is advisable to go to the gynecologist; he will be the one indicated, after evaluation and request for studies that corroborate the diagnosis, in deciding the treatment to follow in each case.
In most cases, it is resolved with the indication of analgesics or anti-inflammatory drugs with which the symptoms are treated.
If it is an infectious process, the doctor will indicate antibiotics to destroy the bacteria causing the infection.
Likewise, it is essential to follow the specialist’s instructions regarding care and lifestyle habits depending on the cause of the pain.
Home remedies for ovarian and kidney pain
To relieve ovarian and kidney pain, and as long as your doctor does not tell you otherwise, you can resort to the use of any of the following natural remedies.
- Take infusions that relieve pain and act as tranquilizers. This is the case with chamomile or valerian, and you can take a cup 2 or 3 times a day to calm the discomfort.
- Ginger tea is used to calm menstrual pain due to its excellent antispasmodic and even anti-inflammatory properties, reducing inflammation and pain in the lower abdomen.
- Cranberry juice: due to its purifying effect, it helps eliminate bacteria and acts on infections in the urinary tract. It would be best if you had a glass in the morning, and you will see how you will go down quickly.
- Red grapes: red grapes are an excellent option due to their high content of antioxidants, vitamins A and C. They are delicious in cases of nephritis, and they have a diuretic effect due to their high content of potassium and water. Consume them in abundance if you are going through this process.
- Pineapple juice: pineapple is a fruit with high water content. It is indicated in cases of inflammation, it stimulates diuresis, thus improving pain in the kidneys and ovaries.
- Celery, watermelon, pomegranate, and cucumber juice: combat fluid retention by improving inflammation and pain.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Ovarian and Kidney Pain: Causes, Treatment, and Remedies, we recommend entering our Female Reproductive System category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.