The small bone at the end of the spine, known as the coccyx, can cause great discomfort. It is very common for pregnant women to suffer from certain pain in this area of the body, so it can prevent a woman from sitting for long periods of time. This is because, during pregnancy, the curvature of the spine is longer, which causes this bone to be more exposed than normal, at the same time that it becomes a mobile structure to facilitate the passage of the child through the channel. This mobility that the coccyx acquires considerably facilitates injuries and that the area can be resented.
Despite the above, the discomfort in the coccyx of a pregnant woman may be due to the hormonal action that is greatly modified during the gestation stage, the postural changes that are taken while waiting for a child and, of course It can also be due to the weight of the belly, especially during the last trimester. If you want to know how to relieve tailbone pain during pregnancy , we invite you to read the following article by FastlyHeal .
Exercising calms tailbone pain
Many women are afraid of doing physical activities during pregnancy; however, exercises for pregnant women can be of great help for many aspects of pregnancy. Despite this, it is necessary that only the exercises recommended by the specialists be performed and in the correct way, always taking care of your own health and that of the unborn child, however, it is important to always consult with a specialist since there are certain cases, in which the expectant mother must take care of herself and physical activity is reduced or even prohibited. To relieve the discomfort of the coccyx during pregnancy, it is recommended to perform physical activities such as:
- Prenatal yoga : improves balance and helps maintain flexibility in women.
- Swimming : it is an ideal exercise for most pregnant women, since it is responsible for strengthening the muscles of the abdomen and back. Exercising in the water helps take pressure off the joints and ligaments. If you don’t want to do swimming, you can opt for various water exercises to relax and strengthen the body.
- Walking : walking is a highly recommended exercise for everyone, but especially for pregnant women with tailbone pain. This is because it favors the strengthening of the muscles and, at the same time, it is a low-impact exercise.
- Pelvic Tilt Exercises and Stretches : Performing a variety of professionally guided stretching exercises can dramatically reduce tailbone discomfort while strengthening different muscles. Although they are simple to execute, it is important that they are practiced with a specialist to avoid straining the body and damaging it.
Paying attention to posture improves coccyx discomfort
As maintaining the correct posture during pregnancy becomes a great challenge, it is important to pay attention to it to avoid and reduce different discomforts, such as tailbone pain. For this it is recommended:
- Steadily standing straight : This is difficult as the pregnancy progresses, so it is essential to remember to throw your shoulders back and stay as straight as possible for as long as possible.
- Sit up straight : if you spend a lot of time during the day sitting, it is important that you keep your back straight to prevent lower back pain and various discomforts. You can choose to place your feet on a stool or use a small pillow behind your waist. Likewise, it is essential to get up and walk at least once for every sitting hour.
- Avoid standing a lot : if you have to stand for a long time, it is necessary to take breaks for a certain time to rest your body and feet. If possible, taking breaks lying on your side is recommended.
- Wear comfortable shoes : to avoid worsening posture and maintain a correct balance, it is advisable to wear comfortable shoes and avoid wearing heels, as this could be harmful, causing the posture to be significantly impaired.
- Do not bend at the waist to bend down : when you need to lift an object, it is important that your waist does not bend, but rather that your knees bend. In this way, the pressure on the back and the discomfort generated by them is reduced.
- Divide the weight : if you need to carry bags or some objects, it is important that you divide the weight in both hands to try to maintain the correct posture and, in this way, prevent discomfort in the back or coccyx. Despite this, it is not recommended to lift a lot of weight, as it can be harmful to both the expectant mother and the child.
- Sleeping on your side : although it is difficult to maintain a correct posture when sleeping, it is advisable to sleep on your side when your belly is already too large. In this way, pressure on the back is avoided and the baby is properly cared for.
Take care of yourself as much as possible to avoid discomfort during pregnancy
Relieving tailbone pain can be hard work, so it’s important to take care of yourself for as long as you can and do whatever it takes to get rid of these discomforts. For this:
- Learn techniques to relax : staying relaxed is a key factor not only to alleviate the discomfort in the coccyx, but to carry the pregnancy and all the changes that it means in the best possible way. If you can’t sleep because of pain, you feel worried, or you are simply having moments of insomnia, performing certain relaxation techniques can help considerably.
- Put heat on the area : Many women say that applying heat to the area where they feel pain can provide temporary relief. For this, you can choose to immerse yourself in warm water or use a bottle with hot water or a heating pad to place it on the painful area.
- Apply cold if the heat does not work : as for all things, there are women who do not reduce the pain of the tailbone by using heat for the area. In these situations, you can try to use cold compresses in the area of discomfort, although it is advisable not to apply the compress directly to the skin, for this it can be wrapped in a towel, for example.
- Get massages : Prenatal massages are highly recommended for most women; however, it is important that you consult with a specialist before undergoing one. Although your partner or someone you know can give you small soft circular massages in the painful area, it is advisable to go to a professional to do it in the correct way and avoid any damage due to bad practice.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to relieve tailbone pain during pregnancy , we recommend that you enter our Bones, Joints and Muscles category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.