Vitiligo is a degenerative skin disease caused by the death of cells responsible for skin pigmentation called melanocytes, which stop producing melanin in the affected area. Therefore, the skin no longer darkens, and more spots remain clear. Its detection is evident when white spots appear on the skin. It is essential to say that vitiligo is not contagious, but the exact cause of the disease is unknown.
The skin will no longer regain its pigmentation, but we can prevent the problem from spreading to other parts of the body. The fundamental thing so that vitiligo does not spread is maintaining a calm life without stress and a healthy diet. Of course, it is essential that if you suffer from this skin problem, you consult your dermatologist to tell you which are the best guidelines for your case. In addition to following the specialist’s instructions, if you want to ensure that the spots do not spread, you may be interested in knowing how to cure vitiligo naturally. If so, continue reading this article from FastlyHeal .
Table of Contents
Types of vitiligo
The first thing to keep in mind when we realize that we suffer from this skin condition or when it is diagnosed is that there is more than one type. Thus, these are the different types of vitiligo :
- Universal: As you might imagine, the problem occurs throughout the body in this case.
- Generalized: when this type of vitiligo is suffered, the spots are in different parts of the body, but they are always close to each other, for example, in the hands, arms, chest, and upper back.
- Dispersed: on the other hand, in this type, the spots are not all over the body, but they are in several areas but distanced from each other, for example, in the hands and feet.
- Segmental: when vitiligo is of this type, the path of the light spots marks where there is a nerve; they travel the same way. This type rarely extends further than the nerve area.
- Localized: this type only occurs in a localized area and usually appears only on the face or only on the hands. It is the most common type of vitiligo.
Causes of vitiligo
We have already mentioned the lack of melanocytes, the cells responsible for skin pigmentation, or their destruction, and scientists still do not know the exact cause. However, the studies carried out so far consider several theories about possible causes of vitiligo and the fact that it can occur due to just one of them or because several occur at the same time:
- Doctors assure that it could be due to a hereditary factor, that is, due to genetics and, therefore, family history is essential.
- Hormonal changes.
- Badly healed wounds.
- Thyroid gland problems.
How to Cure Vitiligo Naturally
The natural way to cure vitiligo is based on diet and on some remedies that can be taken or applied directly to the skin. Take note of the following home remedies to cure vitiligo naturally :
- Papaya: This tropical fruit contains nutrients that increase the activity of melanocytes and reactivate those that are weakening. Therefore, it is advisable to eat it and apply homemade masks on the affected areas of the skin.
- Red clay: this type of clay contains some minerals, such as copper, that allow the recovery of pigment cells. It can be applied every day as a mask on the most defective body parts.
- Ginger: this medicinal root helps to activate blood circulation and provides various antioxidants, other vitamins, and minerals, all very suitable for trying to improve the condition of these skin blemishes. It can be taken both in food dishes and as an infusion, but it is also advisable to apply it as a mask.
- Turmeric: This spice is more used every day to treat health, and it contains excellent benefits. One of its fabulous properties is that it helps pigmentation. So, it is a good idea to include it in food dishes if you want to treat vitiligo and use it topically, but be careful not to exceed the time of application of the mask, as it can leave the skin stained with a yellowish tone.
Before deciding to use one of these remedies, discuss it with your doctor and make sure that when applied, they do not create any allergic reaction.
Other recommendations to treat vitiligo
In addition to using the home remedies for vitiligo that we have mentioned, the doctor will surely comment on the following recommendations to treat vitiligo and prevent it from spreading throughout the rest of the body:
- Protect the most sensitive areas of your skin from the sun with a sunscreen with a protection factor of 50.
- It is essential to avoid direct sun exposure for several hours at a time, as it could cause burns with more severe consequences for your skin.
- You can use self-tanning creams with hydroxyacetone to hide the lack of pigmentation. You can also get makeup products or skin dyes.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cure vitiligo naturally, we recommend that you enter our Skin, Hair, and Nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.