Waking up to find hairs on your pillow shouldn’t be a major concern, just as finding hairs on your brush shouldn’t be. You must bear in mind that, every day, the scalp loses around one hundred hairs, and all of this is part of a natural and healthy process. In addition, depending on other factors such as the weather, the season of the year or your personal situation, those numbers may be higher or lower.
If you think that your hair is falling too much, the first thing you should do is make an appointment with a specialist to evaluate your case and diagnose the possible causes. However, in the following FastlyHealarticle we talk in depth about hair loss : causes and solutions , as well as the best products and tips to prevent hair loss.
Hair loss: causes
Hair loss can be caused by many causes, some predictable and solvable and others for which little can be done. However, before talking about the different hair treatments, below we will explain what the main causes of hair loss are :
Genetics is the most common reason for baldness to appear before reaching 40 years of age. It is much more common in men than in women , and its scientific name is androgenic alopecia. This is the most common type of baldness, in fact, it is what happens to many men who have reached a certain age. This type of baldness occurs step by step, first focusing on a specific area of the head, crown or sides, and its origin is genetic, either by the father or by the mother.
Hair loss due to nerves
But even people whose family has always enjoyed excellent hair condition can see their hair fall out sooner than expected, and this happens because hair loss does not only occur for genetic reasons. Outside of androgenic alopecia, stress is another of the most important causes of this problem. This type of alopecia usually occurs after an especially intense episode on an emotional level or during a stressful time in your life, such as a period of intense work, a sentimental problem or an illness.
In these cases, hair loss occurs suddenly and abundantly , although after 6 or 8 months it tends to disappear. In the event that once this time has passed it does not subside, there is already talk of chronic hair loss.
Hair loss due to hormonal causes
The thyroid gland, located in the area of the trachea, is responsible for releasing thyroid hormones. These hormones play a very important role in the health of our metabolism, as well as growth and capillary health. When you suffer from hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, this gland undergoes imbalances, which ends up causing hormonal disorders that can end up leading to hair loss .
Hair loss due to medication
The excessive use of some medications can also result in telogen effluvium, that is, a diffuse and gradual loss of hair that can be reversible. The reason is that there are certain drugs, such as some antidepressants and anticoagulants, that affect and weaken the hair follicles, those little “roots” from which your hair grows. Surely, a good way to understand drug-induced hair loss is chemotherapy, when patients lose their hair in a radical way, recovering it once the treatment is finished.
Alopecia due to disease
There are other cases in which hair loss can be an indication of another disease, previously we have talked about thyroid problems, however, there are other diseases such as diabetes or lupus that can also cause hair loss. On the other hand, it may even be a localized infection on your scalp, which would be an easier condition to diagnose and treat.
How to stop hair loss
If you are noticing an atypical hair loss, the first thing you should consider is going to your doctor to identify the cause and thus study possible solutions, especially if it is something not located on your scalp. However, both to attack and to prevent baldness , it is considered essential to maintain good hygiene of your hair, washing it often but not excessively and massaging it gently.
At our disposal we have to stop doing certain things that harm our hair health, so that we can stop hair loss by preventing all those actions that can cause hair loss. Some tips that you can follow to stop hair loss are:
- Try, as far as possible, to avoid or reduce stress.
- Make sure you eat foods rich in iron , vitamins A, B, C, and E, antioxidants, and folic acid.
- Do not abuse the strength of your hair with ponytails that are too tight. Also, don’t wear hats or caps too long.
- Try to avoid the excessive use of dyes or dryers as much as possible.
In addition to these good habits, your doctor may prescribe medications such as minoxidil, a solution that is placed directly on the scalp, or hormones if the problem is an imbalance of these in your body. Below we will explain in more depth the products for the fall that we currently have available.
Hair loss products
In today’s society, in which aesthetics are so important, hair has become one of the hallmarks of each person. That is why, depending on the case, losing hair can cause a great aesthetic problem but that affects the emotional health of the person, especially in the case of women, for whom alopecia is not as familiar as for the men. As with any health problem, early detection and timely medical treatment can help remedy it before the consequences are worse. In addition, a good diagnosis is important to be able to distinguish between those losses that can be reversible with those that have a genetic origin or that cannot be treated.
Beyond this, there are more and more hair loss products that we have at our disposal; both in pharmacies, parapharmacies or specialized stores, as well as hair treatments to reverse this situation. Ideally, a doctor should tell you which ones are best suited to your case according to the causes, as you can see below, the options are many:
- Anti-hair loss lotions : these are products for topical and local application that fulfill a double objective, on the one hand to prevent hair loss, but on the other to strengthen the remaining hair. On the other hand, they tend to have textures that are not greasy, so they help the hair look good while it works. In most cases, they use different active ingredients that are related to hair growth, three clear examples are arginine, caffeine and quinine.
- Food supplements : depending on which cases, acting on the scalp is not enough, since if the hair loss is due to nutrition or nutrient absorption problems, it will continue to fall. Some supplements created exclusively to combat hair loss combine iron, with selenium, zinc or molybdenum.
- Hair ampoules: ampoules are products that are applied directly to the scalp and act on the follicular nucleus, stimulating its growth and preserving good hair health. The specialist doctor will tell you which one is recommended for your case.
- Anti- hair loss shampoo : it is surely the most popular hair loss product. There are them with many different formulations, either for chronic, seasonal and even specific for men or women. In general, they are used as an enhancer of some of the previous treatments, although they can also be used on their own. As in the previous cases, the doctor can indicate the one that best suits your situation, since there are very different ones. Some are vitamins, others contain stimulating essential oils, quinia, arginine or caffeine, which although they may help in some cases, may not be helpful in others.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Hair loss: causes and solutions , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.