As in the hand, in the foot there are tendons that allow us to move the fingers and that intervene in the mobility of the ankle. When we damage any of these tendons, tendonitis occurs in the foot, an injury whose main symptoms are inflammation and pain. This ailment is quite common, as it is easy to injure yourself by running, exercising, or wearing inappropriate footwear. If you suffer from pain in the instep, fingers or near the ankle you may suffer from this problem. If you want to find out more, keep reading this article by FastlyHealin which we tell you about the symptoms and treatment of tendonitis in the foot .
Causes of tendonitis in the foot
The reasons why tendinitis appears in some area of the foot can be very diverse and varied. However, it is convenient to know at least the most frequent ones in order to avoid them or correct them if they happen, preventing the problem from occurring or even repeating itself. Thus, among the main causes of tendonitis in the foot we find the following:
- An overload on the feet.
- Training in excess.
- Shoes that do not fit well.
- Injuries when stepping on uneven terrain.
- Bad gestures.
- Falls with distension of the tensors and ligaments.
- Obesity .
- Some metabolic diseases.
Thus, inflammation in a tendon of the foot occurs mainly due to an injury or overuse of this area. In addition, there is the possibility of this swelling because there has been an injury to other structures that are related to the tendon.
Symptoms of tendonitis in the foot
The main symptoms are, as we said at the beginning, inflammation and pain in the instep of the foot, where the affected tendons are located, pain that increases when the affected part is supported or moved. The most common injury occurs in the extensor and flexor tendons of the fingers, although tibialis anterior tendonitis is also common. Other symptoms of tendonitis in the foot are:
- Loss of elasticity in the foot and ankle.
- Pain when moving or touching the fingers.
- Discomfort or pain when putting on and taking off shoes.
- Increased pain when exercising or standing for a long time.
- Increased pain at night.
Treatment of tendonitis in the foot
Although there are things that we can do on our own when we begin to feel that we have an inflammation in the tendon, such as resting or applying cold, we have to go to the doctor as soon as possible to find the origin of the problem and the best solution and adapted treatment in each case. Thus, among the treatment possibilities for tendonitis in the foot, these important points must be taken into account:
- For the treatment of tendonitis we must apply ice for a few minutes to reduce inflammation. Learn in this other FastlyHealarticle all about the use of ice to reduce inflammation and thus you will know how to apply it correctly.
- The doctor can prescribe anti-inflammatory and analgesics , either topical or oral, to treat inflammation and pain.
- It is also advisable to rest until the pain disappears , placing the foot up for a long time to improve blood circulation.
- Avoid any pressure on the instep, wearing comfortable shoes.
- Follow an exercise chart that strengthens both the tendons of the fingers and the calves.
- If the tendinitis is severe, it may be necessary to immobilize the leg with a splint, although a support bandage is usually sufficient .
If the pain does not disappear, corticosteroid injections may be necessary, and if it still does not remit, it may be necessary to resort to surgery, although this is rarely carried out.
Tips to prevent tendonitis in the foot
Although there are situations that it is impossible to avoid no matter how careful you are, there are certain guidelines that can be followed to prevent tendonitis in the foot :
- Get some exercise daily to keep your muscles lean and toned to prevent injuries of any kind.
- Always warm up your muscles before and after exercising.
- Even if you exercise daily it is necessary that you always watch how you do it, pay attention to how to do the exercises correctly and do not exceed the repetitions or the weight if you use it.
- Avoid straining your body, do not lift weights unnecessarily.
- Just as you have to do some physical exercise, it is also necessary to allow the body to rest.
- Wear appropriate footwear for each situation.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tendonitis in the foot: symptoms and treatment , we recommend that you enter our category of Bones, Joints and Muscles .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.