Problems in the genital area are often uncomfortable and problematic, especially when multiple solutions are tried and none of them ends with the discomfort. Alterations in vaginal discharge can have many causes. One of the most common is caused by a fungus: Candida, and when it becomes chronic, it can be referred to as recurrent candidiasis.
Do you want to know more about this pathology? So, continue reading this FastlyHealarticle in which we answer the question of why I have recurrent yeast infections and how to treat them medically and naturally.
What is Recurrent Candidiasis
Recurrent candidiasis refers to a type of fungus ( Candida ) in the vagina, which recurs at least four times a year despite proper treatment. Although we talk about candidiasis in general terms, this fungus can be chronically present in other body areas, such as the digestive tract.
Candida is a fungus that can be present in almost 70% of women at some time in their life, but it does not always give symptoms. About half of women will suffer from the symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection at some point, and only 5% of them will have recurrent yeast infections.
Many women believe that fungi can only cause a thick white discharge. Still, to determine that it is a recurrent yeast infection, you should go to your trusted doctor to ask about your symptoms, perform a careful examination and different tests (both in the office and some analyzes) to obtain a correct diagnosis and not confuse it with other causes of changes in vaginal discharge.
Symptoms of recurrent genital candidiasis
If you suffer from recurrent yeast infections, you may have different symptoms in the vaginal area:
- Thick white discharge, sometimes sticky.
- Unpleasant smell.
- Painful intercourse (dyspareunia).
- They were burning when urinating.
Recurrent candidiasis: causes
Although in half of the women, the causes that cause recurrent candidiasis are not found, it has been seen that in other women, certain risk factors can increase the possibility of suffering it, including:
- A diet was rich in products that generate body acidity (refined, processed dairy, meat, flour, and sugar -preserves, flavorings, colorings-).
- We are having carried out inadequate or too short treatments.
- I had previously had bacterial vaginosis.
- Sexo orogenital.
- Use irritating products such as feminine protectors, feminine hygiene products, douches, pantyhose.
- Use of antibiotics.
- Use of estrogens during perimenopause.
- Use of oral contraceptives, intrauterine devices, or a diaphragm with spermicide.
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
- Low defenses due to immunosuppressive treatments (corticosteroids, autoimmune diseases, transplants).
Recurrent candidiasis: treatment
Oral antifungals (tablets) or topically (creams) can treat recurrent vaginal yeast infections. The most commonly used drugs are:
- Fluconazole: It is a very effective antifungal drug taken by mouth. It requires a medical indication, as it can have adverse effects. There are different ways to manage it. One of the most accepted ways is to start taking it every three days and then once a week for up to 6 months.
- Topical antifungal: it has been seen that the use of miconazole or clotrimazole creams, first, in daily treatment for two weeks and then twice a week for six months, gives good results in the treatment of recurrent candidiasis when it is not possible to use oral medication (pregnancy, allergies, gastrointestinal complaints, headaches, or high cost of fluconazole).
- Boric acid is a substance that helps by changing the pH of the vagina, very useful for a particular type of Candida. It is pretty inexpensive and well-tolerated. It comes in an easy-to-use presentation: in capsules that can be placed directly into the vagina. Sometimes it can cause irritation and abnormal discharge.
Natural treatment of recurrent candidiasis
The woman suffering from recurrent candidiasis suffers from an imbalance in her body. Drugs, antifungals, and ovules can be used, but the truth is that if you don’t try to regain that balance, the yeast infection will come back again and again. Perhaps, in the beginning, when you implement specific changes inhabits, the flow may not decrease and even increase. The body is detoxifying, but do not be alarmed. If you continue to take care of your body, this and other symptoms will improve.
For this, healthy eating is essential. In many of my articles, healthy eating and cleansing are keys to recovering from multiple problems. And it is that if the body is not provided with what it needs to function if it is only intoxicated, only the results of those bad habits will be seen. It is critical to improving constipation. A woman who suffers from it will not be able to cure vaginal discharge.
- Incorporate raw fruits and vegetables: they have vitamins antioxidants, they provide the energy needed to maintain health. Cooking them only devitalizes them.
- Drink water: leave carbonated drinks with sugar, sweeteners, preservatives, and alcohol.
- Use good proteins: legumes (lentils, chickpeas, beans), seeds, algae, and nuts should be part of the diet, leaving aside protein and intoxicating foods, such as meat, dairy, and soy. Yes, it has been seen that soy is only healthy if it is eaten fermented for a long time. Soy protein-based foods are not good at all.
- Stop consuming preservatives, flavorings, and refined ones (sugar, salt, white wheat flour). Natural nutrition will help you heal from recurrent candidiasis and many other pathologies.
On the other hand, you can resort to specific therapies with natural herbs that can help you improve yeast infection:
- Lemon-based body cure: lemon, despite being acidic, favors alkalinity in the body and provides it with vitality. It has no contraindications, and anyone can do it, even suffering from heartburn, because it helps improve it. You should drink water with freshly squeezed lemon juice for ten days, away from meals, you should increase the number of lemons each day and then decrease them in this way: Day 1: 2 lemons, Day 2: 4, Day 3: 6, Day 4: 8, Day 5:10, Day 6:10, Day 7: 8, Day 8: 6, Day 9: 4, Day 10: 2.
- Marshmallow or altea: it is an herb that helps improve vaginal discharge. The whole plant (stems, leaves, roots) in cooking is used in sitz baths, and its leaves and flowers are drunk in infusion.
- Herbs of the stone: its infusion is used in sitz baths to treat vaginitis.
- Oak bark: crushed well and soaked in cold water for 5 to 10 hours. Afterward, it is boiled at a minimum in the same water for 15 to 30 minutes. It is allowed to rest, and with that, sitz baths and vaginal cleaning are performed. It is very effective, and chamomile flowers can be added to the preparation.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
Suppose you want to read more articles similar to Why do I have recurrent candidiasis and how to treat it. In that case, we recommend that you enter our category of the Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.