The tongue is one of the most sensitive areas of the body, it has a large number of nerves and blood vessels, with which any process that affects it, especially injuries, can make its presentation very cumbersome and that pain or Bleeding that is generated by a wound, even a small one, generates great anxiety.
If you want to know how to heal a cut on the tongue much faster and what natural remedies and foods will help you in this process, we suggest that you continue reading this FastlyHealarticle.
Table of Contents
Causes of a cut on the tongue
The tongue is a very mobile organ that can be injured by various causes :
- For biting you when you eat.
- Sores or blisters .
- Bruxism .
- Fish bones.
- Facial trauma
- Surgical wound.
All these conditions can generate lesions of different size and depth, but what is common to all of them is that the mouth has a large amount of its own bacteria, commonly called flora, which can be altered by different diseases, poor oral hygiene or use excessive mouthwashes, with which many processes can be hindered in their healing, especially if they become superinfected.
In itself, healing is usually easy due to the great blood circulation and, therefore, arrival of elements of the blood that collaborate in the healing of wounds. This great circulation has its “negative” part, and that is that any wound that is not too large can bleed in a significant way, so you can get scared by hurting this area.
The tongue is also a very sensitive organ, so it will be easy to tell if it is healing well or if there is a problem because pain or discomfort when eating will make you notice it.
If you notice that the healing is not fast naturally, another health problem may be the cause, if you notice that a wound does not heal despite taking care of it correctly, it is best that you consult your trusted doctor for the possibility of being having other problems, such as diabetes.
Tips for healing a cut on the tongue
For your tongue to heal properly, take the following measures into account:
- Take care of your oral hygiene : clean teeth and mouth will help the wound not become superinfected or food remains accumulate in the area, thus making it easier to heal.
- You can do 2 or 3 times a day mouthwash . The most suitable solution is the so-called “Prinz’s solution”, which you can make with half a glass of pure water, 1 cm of hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of baking soda, mix these ingredients well and gargle. Don’t swallow the liquid, just try to hold it in your mouth for a few minutes and then spit it out. It is excellent as an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial.
- Don’t use commercial mouthwashes – these often contain irritating substances, even those that come without alcohol. On the other hand, they alter the flora itself, which is beneficial for the natural processes that must occur in the mouth, and removing that flora will not make your tongue wound heal faster.
- It is very important that if the injury is the result of surgery, you follow the advice that your doctor has given you , since the evolution will largely depend on it. If you intend to use other substances or natural herbs, it is preferable that you consult him if it is advisable or not to do so.
Natural remedies to heal a wound on the tongue
In addition to the mouthwashes or rinses that we have indicated in the previous section, you can use the following medicinal herbs and substances, the use of which can help the healing of wounds in the mouth. Like everything, you should not abuse, since in excess it can be counterproductive:
- Honey : honey is one of the best healing that nature provides, its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties have been proven, so using it locally in the area where the injury is usually helps considerably.
- Chamomile : Chamomile is one of the most frequently used herbs when it comes to healing problems. Prepare an infusion with the flowers of Chamaemelum nobile and use it locally, in addition to being anti-inflammatory it helps to keep the area clean.
- Bitter mugwort or wormwood : it is an herb that helps reduce inflammation and pain in the affected area. The scientific name is Artemisia absinthium, you can prepare an infusion and apply it in the place you want to help heal, it is very useful in case of mouth blisters.
- Marshmallow : another plant with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties is Althaea officinalis, the infusion is also applied directly on the lesion on the tongue.
- Plantain : also known as Plantago helps healing and stop bleeding, which is why it is very useful in cases of wounds that heal slowly.
We once again insist that if the wound on your tongue is the product of surgery or medical intervention, the best thing to do, before using any substance that your doctor has not recommended, is to consult with him and follow his instructions.
Foods that help the tongue to heal
Fundamentally so that any wound can heal easily, the body must be given the opportunity to rest and not deal with digesting foods that are very heavy or difficult to metabolize.
On the other hand, helping the body to regain balance, with a healthy, balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals is essential so that any pathological process can be reversed. To do this, follow these tips:
- Make sure your diet is basically made up of natural foods : fruits and vegetables (raw much better), nuts, fermented, sprouts.
- Try to leave out the super-processed : start reading the labels of what you buy, if it has preservatives, colorants, flavorings, oil or vegetable butter, sugar and other unnatural substances leave them aside. All of them contribute to body intoxication, slowing down natural processes, accumulating (because they are not usually completely eliminated), making you sick.
- Other foods that are inflammatory and do not help much in healing are dairy and gluten . There is evidence that shows its association with pathological processes and, above all, with maintaining an inflammatory response that is quite negative to heal wounds.
- Try to drink only water : leave out other drinks with sugar, sweeteners, alcohol. Water hydrates in the best way and is very necessary to maintain a body balance. You can also hydrate with natural fruit juices.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to heal a cut on the tongue , we recommend that you enter our category of Teeth and mouth .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.