When taking different medications simultaneously, it is undoubtedly essential to ask yourself about the interactions between them. Many people follow several medical treatments simultaneously, incredibly the chronically ill and the elderly. In Spain, precisely, those over 65 take an average of five simultaneous therapies.
Adverse effects linked to interactions between different drugs are widespread. For this reason, it is vitally important to inform the doctor about all the medications that are taken, even natural ones, and of course, not to self-medicate. The possible interactions are many and varied.
Next, at FastlyHeal, we will more specifically answer the question: can I take Omeprazole and antibiotics simultaneously?
Table of Contents
Omeprazole: what is it for, and how to take it?
Omeprazole is a medicine that should be taken under a prescription but can be used without it, so it is commonly misused. This drug is one of the so-called proton pump inhibitors and works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
It is common for people to use it to avoid discomfort caused by large meals or after alcohol consumption; however, although Omeprazole prevents acid formation in the stomach, it does not neutralize the one produced after eating. This medicine is indicated to treat specific pathologies such as:
- Gastroesophageal reflux causes acidity in the stomach and lesions in the esophagus.
- Diseases such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome cause excessive gastric acid secretion.
- Ulcers of the stomach and intestines, especially those caused by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori. In these cases, it is used in combination with antibiotics.
- Frequent heartburn.
Omeprazole helps to reduce gastric acid secretion, thus contributing to the healing of the gastric mucosa and preventing further injury to it. It should be taken on an empty stomach, half an hour to an hour before breakfast, and it is recommended to take it with water or juice, never with carbonated drinks or food, as this prevents its proper absorption. The pills should not be chewed or crushed either.
Omeprazole side effects
Omeprazole is one of the most used drugs. It is second on the list in Spain, after Paracetamol (the best-selling in the world) and before Ibuprofen. It is important to mention its possible side effects because it is so frequently used and although it is generally well tolerated.
Do not hesitate to inform the treating doctor immediately when any of these symptoms appear, especially if they are persistent. The side effects of Omeprazole include the following symptoms:
- Constipation, flatulence, nausea or vomiting, or, conversely, severe diarrhea or stomach pain.
- Headache, dizziness, drowsiness, or excessive tiredness.
- Severe itching or rash
- Allergic reaction with swelling of the face, mouth, throat, eyes, or upper or lower extremities.
- Difficulty breathing, swallowing, or hoarseness.
- Cardiac arrhythmias, muscle spasms, or tremors.
- Fever or seizures
On the other hand, long-term use of this drug and other proton pump inhibitors can weaken the lining of the stomach and bones. It increases the risk of individuals suffering wrist, hip, and spinal fractures. In addition, this risk increases as the treatment last or if it is in older people.
You can expand the information about this drug by consulting the article Omeprazole: how to take it, dosage, and side effects .
Can you take Omeprazole and antibiotics at the same time?
The answer to this question is yes. Omeprazole can be taken simultaneously with antibiotics. A treatment combines Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Clarithromycin; the latter two are antibiotics used to treat bacterial infections and are administered to treat Helicobacter pylori infection.
Omeprazole and Amoxicillin dual therapy is effective in 67% of patients with H. Pylori infection. Triple treatment of the two antibiotics (Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin) combined with Omeprazole is used to prevent the formation of ulcers caused by the H. Pylori bacteria. This therapy used in patients who already have a duodenal ulcer showed a cure rate of 90%.
However, it should not be used if the patient is allergic to any of its components or any antibiotics. It should also not be taken if you suffer from liver or kidney disease. Because it is a complex therapy, this drug interacts with many other drugs. Feel free to list all the medications you take and share them with your doctor. Some side effects can be severe.
While taking Amoxicillin, Clarithromycin, and Omeprazole, you should not take any of the following medicines:
- Ergomar, Cafergot, Ercaf, and Migergot: can affect the heart and endanger the patient’s life.
- Colchicine can cause life-threatening medical problems, especially if you are an older adult with kidney disease.
Amoxicillin, Clarithromycin, and Omeprazole should also not be taken if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as they may harm the baby. This drug is known to pass through breast milk.
The most important thing is to follow the doctor’s instructions to the letter without skipping the doses since the bacteria can become resistant when doing this treatment. Treatment should not be interrupted for the same reason, even if the symptoms have already disappeared. Nor should it be taken for more days than directed.
To eliminate Helicobacter pylori infection, probiotics and Omeprazole are also recommended. The use of probiotic supplements inhibits the growth of this stomach ulcer bacteria and contributes to gastroesophageal reflux. Likewise, the use of probiotics helps to restore and maintain the bacterial balance in the stomach.
Omeprazole and other medicines
According to some studies, 19 million people report adverse effects from medications each year. Of these, some derive from interactions that occur between drugs. There is a 20% chance that some annoying interaction will happen for people who take two to five medicines. This probability increases to 80% in those patients who take more than six medications.
The general recommendation is not to self-medicate and tell your doctor about all the treatments you follow. In this way, there is a lower risk of suffering adverse effects, and, indeed, the treatments taken will be more effective. So when your doctor prescribes you Omeprazole, tell him about any other medicine you are following, even if it is a vitamin or natural remedy.
First, check the label and verify that you are not allergic to Omeprazole or some ingredients. Then, review the list of known drug interactions. For example, in some instances, Omeprazole alters the absorption of other drugs, such as Ketoconazole and other antifungals, and certain antibiotics, such as Azithromycin.
Other medications that it may interact with are certain diuretics and blood thinners. In the case of Diazepam, Phenylhydantoin, and Warfarin, Omeprazole can delay their elimination. In cases where the drugs can be taken simultaneously, the treating physician adjusts the dose and schedules so that they are all absorbed correctly. In addition, you will be more attentive to possible adverse effects.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Can I take Omeprazole and antibiotics simultaneously? We recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.