The disorder of arousal in women is characterized by the absence of physiological changes during sexual arousals, such as vaginal lubrication, acceleration of the heartbeat, and muscle tension. This situation continues throughout a sexual activity and is generally accompanied by alterations in sexual desire and orgasm. They cannot have it because they cannot experience arousal correctly.
This female sexual dysfunction generates a significant change in the sexual life of the woman who suffers from it, since sexual desires, thoughts, and fantasies diminish or sometimes disappear, in addition to being able to avoid any intimate encounter. Although it is necessary to visit a doctor if there are suspicions of having this pathology, at FastlyHealwe want you to learn more about arousal disorder in women: causes and treatment.
Table of Contents
Causes of arousal disorder
Like almost all sexual dysfunctions, arousal disorders in women can have physical or psychological causes.
As arousal is a neurological phenomenon, anything that alters the neurological pathways can cause this disorder. Some examples of possible psychological reasons are:
- Anxiety: it is the most frequent factor in sexual alterations since, many times, the sexual act is not enjoyed due to fear that the couple is not satisfied or for fear of orgasmic failure, among other things, creating tension and causing this way the arousal disorder in women.
- Stress: is another fairly common cause that most people can suffer from. When it comes to having sex with a partner, the woman may feel stressed, either due to daily problems or difficulties that she is going through with her romantic partner, and generates this disorder.
- Depression and tiredness: having low spirits because you are depressed or tired can significantly affect your sex life, causing it to take a back seat since you lack sexual desire. For this reason, sexual arousal disorder appears in women when they try to have intimate relationships.
- Other reasons: some women associate sex with sin, and sexual pleasure leads to feelings of guilt, either because of religion or culture. Another cause could be the fear of intimacy or having a partner who does not know good techniques to achieve arousal to the woman and thus cause this disorder.
Of the physical causes of arousal disorder in women, the following can be highlighted:
- Endometriosis, cystitis, or vaginitis: pain caused by endometritis or bladder and vaginal infections can affect a woman’s sexual arousal since they cause pain and make it difficult to enjoy sexual intercourse.
- Hormonal problems: Estrogen deficiency caused by menopause can cause arousal disorder in women.
- Surgery: women who performed surgical removal of the ovaries may suffer from this disorder since, generally, this operation causes vaginal dryness and thinning of the walls of this female organ. Other surgeries such as hysterectomy, which removes the uterus, or mastectomy, which eliminates the mammary gland, also produce arousal disorders in women.
- Other pathologies: some diseases such as underactive thyroid gland, diabetes, or cancer may cause different anatomy of the vagina and lead to arousal disorder.
- Treatments and use of various substances: Radiation therapy, such as drugs for sclerosis, anxiety, depression, or hypertension, can cause a loss of sensitivity, as can excessive alcohol consumption and lead to arousal disorder in the woman.
Treatment of arousal disorder
It is essential to consult a doctor to carry out the correct treatment. If any woman has any pathology that can cause this disorder, treatment will be limited to improving or, if possible, trying to cure that disease. In any case, the case should be studied individually to determine as accurately as possible the reason why the woman suffers from said disorder and, from there, apply the most appropriate treatment.
While if the cause of arousal disorder is due to a psychological aspect, therapy should be performed. Although there is a no good and effective treatment for all women, the treatment will generally have two parts. The first part consists of small teaching of the physiological functioning in sexual activity and answering all the doubts to remove the fears. At the same time, the second part will focus on giving Kegel exercises, which are helpful to strengthen the pelvic muscles, those that support the uterus, bladder, rectum, and urethra.
Of course, the treatment and the next steps will depend on both the therapist and the causes of the woman’s arousal disorder.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Arousal disorder in women: causes and treatment, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.