Fluoxetine is an antidepressant medicine used to treat a series of processes in which the emotional part of people is involved, such as depressive symptoms, altered thinking, eating disorders and even panic attacks.
Due to its components and effects on the body, the mixture of fluoxetine and alcohol should be monitored by the doctor to avoid effects contrary to expectations, leading to complications that can cause serious harm to the patient. Next, in this FastlyHealarticle, we answer the question: “what happens if I take fluoxetine and alcohol?”
Table of Contents
What is fluoxetine for
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant drug , whose mechanism of action is to selectively inhibit the reuptake of serotonin. She is responsible for enhancing the effect of serotonin, which acts as a neurotransmitter to allow neurons to communicate through it.
This medicine is indicated for different pathologies among which are:
- Depression .
- Eating disorders.
- Panic attacks .
- Obsessive compulsive disorders
- Bipolar disorder.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
It has been used with great success in support of other diseases such as:
- Chronic headaches.
- Sexual dysfunctions.
- In cases of post-traumatic stress.
Effects of alcohol on the body
Alcohol is a chemical substance with different uses and that is found in different preparations and drinks. This substance acts by depressing the central nervous system, causing slowing down of brain functions. It has the ability to affect self-control, therefore, it can be confused with a stimulant.
Once this substance is ingested, it is absorbed by the digestive system, from there it passes into the blood and can remain in it for up to 18 hours.
After having ingested alcohol, some effects may appear in people, which will vary from one person to another, the amount consumed and the alcohol concentrations in the drink. These effects of alcohol include:
- People become very sociable.
- Difficulty associating ideas and even speaking.
- Decreased motor coordination.
If the concentration in the blood becomes greater than 3 grams of alcohol, apathy or drowsiness may occur, which can lead to coma and even death.
Fluoxetine and alcohol: effects and consequences
Doctors indicate that the combination of fluoxetine and alcohol should be avoided , as the mixture can aggravate symptoms and, in some cases, can be dangerous. Mixing an antidepressant such as fluoxetine with alcohol can cause the following changes:
- Increase the picture of depression and anxiety: the intake of alcohol can interfere with the benefits of the antidepressant medication, making it more difficult to treat the symptoms you present. When you drink alcohol, you may feel that your mood improves in a short period of time, however, its effect can increase the symptoms of depression, in addition to anxiety.
- There may be alterations in alertness and thoughts: the combination of antidepressants and alcohol can affect your motor skills and coordination, in addition to affecting your reaction time to any situation. On some occasions, there are combinations that can make you sleepy, with this, you have limitations when driving or doing any other activity in which concentration and attention are involved.
- When you take monoamine oxidase inhibitors combined with alcoholic beverages or some foods, they can cause a sudden and dangerous increase in blood pressure .
- Mix fluoxetine and alcohol can make you feel sedated or drowsy: the fluoxetine alone can make you feel a certain degree of drowsiness and sedation, and the like alcohol, so if the effects are taken together may be even greater.
Tips to avoid taking fluoxetine and alcohol
- Going to your doctor is the best way to strictly follow the prescribed prescription without putting your health at risk.
- The main thing to keep in mind is that you should not stop taking fluoxetine or another medication for consuming alcohol. The vast majority of antidepressants such as fluoxetine need a daily dose to maintain adequate levels in the body to help obtain the benefits of their indication. If you stop the treatment and then restart it again, this can aggravate your depression.
- It is recommended that you do not consume a single drop of alcohol if you find yourself with a depressive picture, since you may run the risk of abusing this substance. Ideally, you should seek specialized help to help you overcome alcohol addiction while managing depression.
- The most advisable thing is that you go to specialized centers, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, to help you overcome your addiction to this substance.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to What happens if I take fluoxetine and alcohol? , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.