Fluoxetine is a drug used to treat depression, a mental disorder related to affectivity. Currently, this has been increasing and can have serious consequences for those who suffer from it.
One of the better known names of this medication is Prozac , but its generic form exists and its form under many more brand names. The prescription of this drug is of vital importance in the cases of depressed patients, who in many cases must consume it for long periods of time and are curious to know if, among the side effects, that this drug may have, there is a risk of gaining weight . FastlyHealin this article, you will know the answer to the question of whether l to fluoxetine fattening or not and more about this medicine.
Table of Contents
What is fluoxetine and what is it for
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant drug , it acts as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Its function is to enhance the effect of serotonin , it is a neurotransmitter through which neurons communicate. By increasing its quantity, mental balance is maintained. Due to the type of medicine, it must be indicated by a specialist doctor knowledgeable in the matter.
Fluoxetine is used to treat a variety of diseases and conditions. Specifically, this antidepressant is used in the treatment of diseases such as:
- Depression: it is used in those persistent depressive pictures that interfere with the daily activity of the sufferer. Learn more about this topic in this other FastlyHealarticle that explains everything about Depression: types, causes, symptoms and treatment .
- Obsessive compulsive disorder: it is characterized by the presence of an anxious picture where there are recurring and persistent thoughts that can cause fear, worry and repetitive behaviors.
- Eating disorders: known as bulimia nervosa, fluoxetine is prescribed in cases of excessive eating and when frequent vomiting occurs as a pharmacological supplement, in addition to psychotherapy.
- Panic attacks: these appear suddenly and unexpectedly, feeling extreme fear and concern about the appearance of these attacks.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder: it is used to alleviate the symptoms of this alteration, which is characterized by the presence of symptoms such as changes in mood, irritability, abdominal distention, breast tenderness.
- Bipolar disorder: this medication is also used to treat bipolar disorder with depressive symptoms.
Fluoxetine has been effective as a supportive treatment in other conditions such as:
- Chronic headaches.
- Post-traumatic stress disorders.
- Sexual dysfunctions.
You can learn more about what this drug is and more aspects in this other FastlyHealarticle about Fluoxetine: uses and side effects .
Does fluoxetine make you fat?
Fluoxetine does NOT make you fat , with the administration of this type of antidepressant the amount of serotonin in the nervous system increases, which causes happiness in the person who performs this treatment. Feeling this way, it is difficult for you to find a way to overeat, because what stimulates it is depression and sadness, that is why it does not cause weight gain.
When people are in depression, they look for a way to satisfy the feeling of emptiness they experience by eating. Food causes the release of serotonin in small amounts. Fluoxetine causes weight loss as long as it is correctly prescribed by a knowledgeable medical specialist.
The daily dose of fluoxetine varies according to the age of the patient, the symptoms they present and the disease to be treated. The presentation with which it is available on the market to be ingested orally is 20 mg. The dose to use ranges from 20 to 60 mg a day .
The doctor will indicate its intake in small doses once a day, which will be progressively increased if the patient needs it until taking it 2 times a day. Its intake should be avoided during the night, as it can modify sleep.
The embodiments of fluoxetine is of pills or tablets, capsules and liquid and be ingested as directed by the physician.
Fluoxetine: side effects
The side effects of fluoxetine that can appear shortly after its ingestion are:
- Difficult to focus.
- Loss of memory.
- Inability to fall asleep even to maintain it.
- Dry mouth.
- Loss of appetite and weight.
- Soft spot.
- Uncontrollable shaking in part of the body.
- Changes in sexual desire
- Increased sweating
Other side effects that may occur, although they are rare, and require immediate medical assistance are:
- Skin lesions type rash, hives, accompanied by itching.
- Joint pain.
- Presence of inflammation in the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, ankles, feet, lower part of the legs.
- Difficulty breathing and swallowing.
- Gastrointestinal problems such as: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Muscle spasms or intense stiffness.
- Confusional state that can lead to hallucinations.
- Loss of coordination
- Bleeding or bruising
Recommendations to stop taking fluoxetine
The important thing to keep in mind if you are being treated with fluoxetine , both at the beginning of the treatment and at the end of it, is that it must be under the orders of your doctor, who will suspend the treatment if necessary. To stop taking fluoxetine you have to do it slowly and progressively , as this is the only way to avoid the appearance of the rebound effect. If the so-called rebound effect occurs, this will become evident with the appearance of symptoms greater than the one that started taking the drug.
Fluoxetine is an effective drug in the above-mentioned pathologies as long as it is indicated, in addition to being controlled, by a specialist doctor, who will evaluate the duration of the treatment depending on the disease to be treated.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Does fluoxetine make you fat? , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.