The tingling or itching sensation throughout the body is medically known as pruritus; in some cases, the reason that produces this effect is not very clear. However, it can also be related to dermatological problems. Itching is triggered by histamines, a hormone excreted by our body, as the immune system responds to any allergy. At FastlyHealwe will explain the causes of itching throughout the body.
Types of itching
The itchy sensation all over the body is a symptom, not a disease. The cause of the itching can be difficult to identify because there are usually no skin signs, but the type of itching can vary depending on the reason that is causing it. The kinds of itching are:
- Pruriceptive itching: usually treated with antihistamines and caused by allergic reactions, dry skin, insect bites, rash, scabies, lice, or eczema.
- Neuropathic itching: in this case, you will not only feel itching but tingling and numbness. It is related to problems in the central nervous system and usually appears after having herpes, a stroke, or damage from burns. It is generally treated with non-narcotic pain relievers.
- Neurogenic itching: it is caused by chronic diseases, especially in the liver and kidney. Treatment will also include pain relievers.
- Psychogenic itching: it is associated with psychological disorders and is treated with antipsychotics and antidepressants.
Causes of itching all over the body
After identifying how the sensation of itching in the body is, we can relate the causes of itching throughout the body to dermatological diseases such as dermatitis, sunburn, dryness, aging, or insect bites and stings. On the other hand, we have metabolic diseases such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, or linked kidney diseases. There may be a decrease in its function of filtering the blood, causing toxins and minerals to circulate throughout the body, causing irritation and itching.
Iron deficiency anemia can also cause itching since the decrease in iron in the body reduces the formation of hemoglobin, producing inflammation associated with itching. Finally, liver diseases are related to this symptom due to the accumulation of bile salts.
Another associated causes are stress because our body produces substances that increase sensitivity when under pressure. Likewise, during pregnancy, it is common to have itching in the area of the abdomen, breasts, and extremities. The hormonal changes generated during this condition cause the itch. It is essential to contact your doctor if the itching is very intense or if you are undergoing treatment and it reappears.
Treatment for itching will depend on the cause that has been diagnosed however it is essential to take some preventive measures :
- Avoid woolen or very vaporous garments.
- Keep your nails short, so you don’t hurt yourself.
- Avoid scratching or rubbing the affected area.
- Apply soothing lotions after showering.
- Put cold compresses on the affected area.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Try to distract yourself with some activity to avoid scratching yourself.
- Use neutral soaps.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to I feel itchy all over my body: causes, we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.