The newborn baby requires special care; that is why the doctor always recommends that parents be attentive to bathing, sleeping, or feeding them, but they should also be alert to any changes that the baby may present or any signs, symptoms, or alarm signal.
It is essential always to maintain adequate communication with the pediatrician and report if you have seen any alteration in the baby; if so, it should be taken immediately to the emergency room to avoid any complications or consequences. There are many signs that a baby can present when their health and well-being are at stake, but what are these signs? Well, this FastlyHealarticle will mention the most frequent danger signs in the newborn so that you know what to expect and always stay alert.
Table of Contents
Abnormal skin color
The skin is an essential element that transmits a lot of information about the general state of health, also in the baby. That is why we must observe if some abnormal changes or colors could mean an alarm sign:
- Cyanosis or bluish skin: can occur in or around the mouth, hands, tongue, and feet and can be caused by respiratory distress.
- Yellow skin: called jaundice. This coloration can be expected in the first days; however, if it lasts or is very strong, it is recommended to take it to the doctor because jaundice is due to an increase in bilirubin in the blood, indicates liver disease or disorder. Likewise, the father should be aware of the baby’s urine; it should not be too dark.
- Pale skin: indicates that the baby is icy, which can lead to hypothermia.
It is essential always to be aware of the baby and any change in temperature that may indicate something; that is why continuous communication with the pediatrician should always be maintained. For example, if the baby’s temperature exceeds 38 degrees, it suggests that there is a fever, and the pediatrician will say what the protocol to follow is. In the same way, if it is freezing and has other symptoms such as a change in skin color, it may mean that you are suffering from hypothermia.
It is not normal for a newborn baby to be constantly vomiting; sometimes, he can expel the food being administered, but not that he does it frequently or that it is the usual tonic after each meal. In other words, abnormal regurgitation is a warning sign. The doctor should be urgently attended to determine the cause, and dehydration due to vomiting should also be avoided because it can be harmful to the newborn.
Type of stool
The type of stool of the baby should be constantly evaluated. Among the warning signs that we can observe in the chair, we find:
- Sometimes too watery would mean that the baby suffers from diarrhea.
- Bloody or mucus stools can be symptoms of conditions such as dehydration.
- If you do not pass stool properly, your baby may be constipated.
If you observe something abnormal in the baby’s stool, you should take it to the pediatrician, who will monitor it; they can request a laboratory test to determine the actual cause of the problem.
One of the leading and most serious problems observed in the newborn’s health is respiratory problems. They account for about 30% of infant deaths. That is why we must take into account certain aspects of their behavior that can alert us that there impedes breathing correctly:
- A very high breathing rate.
- Changes in the skin color, which becomes more bluish, especially on the lips.
- Noises when breathing.
The seizures are an unmistakable sign of danger in the newborn. These are contractions or involuntary movements of the body, characterized by being abrupt and with tremors, and are generally associated with neurological disorders. In case your baby has seizures, you should go to the emergency room immediately,
In addition to all these possible signs of danger in the newborn, we can also mention the following:
- It infected the umbilical cord.
- If he cries a lot or is very weak, he changes his behavior.
- If the baby has difficulty eating, for example, exerts little force during the suction of breast milk, or refuses the food, you should speak with the doctor.
What to do if the newborn shows any danger signs
First, as we have been explaining throughout the article, frequent contact should be maintained with the pediatrician monitoring the baby. Before any alteration is observed, the doctor should be called immediately, and he will be in charge of indicating the protocol to follow.
In the case of situations that become more serious, for example, a seizure, it is best to take him to the emergency room immediately because this can be very dangerous for a newborn and require urgent medical attention. If the baby has difficulty breathing and you do not have time to take him to the emergency room, it is recommended to do the following:
- Remove the mucus from the nose and mouth, then rub the back.
- If the baby cannot breathe, he must apply the mouth-to-mouth breathing maneuver; for this, he must lay the baby on a hard and flat surface such as a table or the floor, then tilt the baby’s head slightly back to open the throat, place your mouth over the baby’s nose and mouth and begin to blow for air, at least 40 per minute.
- You must allow the baby to breathe out during each puff. You should also observe that the baby’s belly and chest rise and fall with each blow because this indicates that air is entering.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Danger signs in the newborn that you should not ignore , we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.