When a patient presents some symptoms or clinical signs, such as, for example, blood sugar over 300 mg / dL, dry mouth, urinating more frequently or even fatigue, the doctor may order a urine test to evaluate the level. ketones.
Medically, ketones are a product of fat metabolism that is carried out when the body needs energy to function optimally, in fact ketones are considered a waste of fats. Ketones in urine are a real problem only when blood glucose levels are altered. At FastlyHealwe will talk to you about what are the causes of high ketones in urine .
Table of Contents
What are ketones in urine and how do they manifest?
The ketones are a bodily waste product of the production of energy through the fat, which is strictly used when it can not utilize glucose normally, this is generally associated with a deficit of glucose or sugar in the daily diet.
This study is usually indicated by doctors or specialists to determine the presence of any alteration in metabolism, under normal conditions the concentration of ketones in urine should be less than 20 mg / dL .
In the first instance, it must be said that the symptoms will depend on the accumulation of ketone bodies, the special symptom is fruity-smelling breath caused by the accumulation of ketones. On the other hand, the symptoms of high ketones in urine are:
- Dehydration : product of frequent urination or excessive vomiting that can lead to dehydration.
- Urination : obviously with the increase in ketone bodies in urine, the body has a self-defense system to excrete ketones reflecting the imminent need to urinate regularly.
- Thirst : product of dehydration, through the loss of fluid after frequent urination or vomiting increases the sensation of body thirst.
- Nausea or vomiting : caused by decreased sodium and potassium values due to frequent urination.
In addition, symptoms such as intense breathing and confusion or lethargy may be associated, which is rare but what happens in severe conditions. In the following sections we will explain what are the causes of high ketones in urine .
High urine ketones due to decompensated diabetes mellitus
The presence of ketone bodies in urine due to type 2 diabetes is one of the most common causes, in fact the presence of ketones indicates that the patient is not properly controlled.
In the case of people who are insulin-dependent diabetics, they can frequently suffer from ketonuria, a deficiency of insulin can cause the cells to lack the glucose that provides energy necessary for the body’s function. This is the reason why it is crucial to perform this test regularly to avoid the complications to which a diabetic patient can be immersed.
This happens when the body seeks to compensate in a certain way for the energy it does not have by using fat metabolism. Poorly controlled diabetes mellitus brings with it, in addition to high ketones in the urine, the previously mentioned characteristic symptoms such as nausea and vomiting and a blood glucose concentration above 300 mg / dL, which implies that the specialist doctor should immediately assess the patient. patient.
High urine ketones from fasting
If the nutritional intake stops for approximately 10 or 14 hours, when we are fasting for many hours, other systems or body mechanisms are activated to provide glucose through other methods for optimal energy supply to vital organs.
The metabolic processes that are activated will depend on the duration of the fast, gradually adapting to improve the preservation of life, in extreme cases fats and muscles are used to create the necessary energy, obtaining ketone bodies or ketones in urine as products .
This is another of the probable but less frequent causes of high ketones appearing in urine.
High ketones in urine due to other causes
Other less common causes of ketone bodies appearing in urine are:
- Digestive disorders : in a normal way, ketone production in the body is inhibited when there is an appropriate intake and absorption of carbohydrates, any disorder that affects these processes will lead to the use of fat as an option for energy. Consequently, there is an increase in the production of ketones that at first can be seen accumulated in the blood and later is excreted in the urine.
- Nutritional deficit : in the event that there is a high intake of fats in relation to the intake of carbohydrates, it will directly affect the body’s availability to take fats for energy instead of carbohydrates that are not available.
- Vomiting and diarrhea : these are the reasons why the person thinks that they should not continue eating food until the situation improves, bringing with it that the body has to break down fat to produce the necessary energy, in turn causing high ketones in urine.
- Intense exercise : in search of solving the glucose deficit due to the high energy demand, alternative options are sought within which the metabolism of fats is taken into account, also generating the production of ketones that are reflected in the urine test.
Finally, the least likely causes of high ketones in urine are
- La eclampsia.
- Glycogen storage disease.
- Prolonged exposure to cold temperatures.
How to determine the presence of ketones in urine and what to do
In a simple way to determine the presence of high ketones in urine, test strips are used through which, through chemical products , color changes are generated in case their values are high.
This allows the test strip to be dipped into the collected urine sample in a clean container , taking into account the time that must be dipped before verifying the result. The color will indicate the result according to the amount of ketones in the urine.
In addition to improving the lifestyle before any abnormal result, a doctor should be consulted immediately because this represents important problems for the health of the human being. Undoubtedly the treatment will depend on the cause to be treated in order to avoid endangering life in the event of a diabetic coma or even death.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Ketones high in urine: causes , we recommend that you enter our category of Medication and medical tests .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.