As they are commonly known, fish eyes on the hands are nothing more than warts caused by a virus. They are benign lesions and can be present in both adults and children. They tend to resolve spontaneously, but they can become very annoying for those who suffer from them when this does not happen, mainly because they often work with their hands. These injuries are often contagious and injured.
Do you want to know why they come out and how to get fish eyes off your hands? Then, you will be interested in what we explain to you in this FastlyHealarticle.
Why do fish eyes appear on the hands: causes
Fish eyes, also known as mean eyes, are warts. These are lesions caused by the Human Papilloma Virus (or HPV), which can also occur in other body areas (such as the soles of the feet, for example).
They can affect anyone of any sex and age, predominantly children and young adults. Fish eyes are ubiquitous in people who work with their hands and suffer minor injuries or irritation, so it is known as “butchers’ disease.” This is so because self-infection and proliferation of warts are generated when hurting frequently.
They are benign lesions; they do not usually transform into skin cancer, but it is good that a doctor observes them since they can be confused with other types of lesions that need more frequent control.
It is essential to say that the warts of complex and recurrent treatment force rule out that the person does not have defense problems, since when these are low, there is a greater possibility of suffering these injuries.
How to remove fish eyes on hands: medical treatment
There are different medical treatments to remove fish eyes on the hands; they try to achieve with them that warts disappear, trying to leave as few marks as possible. It can be used:
- Irritant substances: the most used is salicylic acid. This is applied daily to the lesions; in this way, it removes the outermost layers, making the fish’s eyes disappear little by little. They are usually treatments that require perseverance, but the good thing is that they leave few marks on the skin.
- Microsurgery: either with a laser or a scalpel, what is done is to remove the lesions from their base. It requires the person to take care of the lesions for several days to leave as little scar as possible and not become infected with the virus again.
- Cryosurgery: This method is based on the use of liquid nitrogen. Thus, warts freeze, blisters form, and dead tissue fall off within a week.
All these methods will eliminate fish eyes on the hands, but this does not mean that they cannot reappear. To avoid recurrence, the person should try to improve their defenses and take care of the skin of their hands so that it does not suffer so much irritation and injuries.
Home remedies to remove fish eyes on the hands
You can use some medicinal plants to eliminate fish eyes:
- Aloe vera: the liquid, besides being an excellent healing agent, has antiviral properties. This should be applied to warts.
- Sen: its infusion is applied directly to the lesions; it is a slow but effective treatment.
- Mugwort: the leaves should be marinated in alcohol. The resulting liquid is applied daily to the fish’s eyes.
- Immortelle: its scientific name is Kalanchoe, there are different varieties, but all of them must be applied, after maceration, to the area to be treated.
- Rubber: its sap must be applied externally; the fish eyes will disappear little by little.
- Red onion must be cut and marinated in salt; the resulting liquid is used. This must be applied on warts, which must have previously been injured on their surface for the liquid to penetrate.
- Lapacho or guayacán: an infusion is made from its bark that must be drunk.
- Sarsaparilla: it is cooked with its root and drunk as tea.
- Other plants are effective for treating fish eyes, but they require knowledge to treat them as they can cause significant irritation. These are: cashew, spurge, yellow daffodil, mattress grass, guarumo, swallow grass ( Euphorbia ), croton, and thistle.
On the other hand, other general measures can be taken that can help remove fish eyes and prevent new ones from appearing:
- Try to take care of your hands: new warts are more likely to appear if they are permanently injured.
- Do not try to remove the fish eyes yourself: you can injure yourself or spread the lesions.
- Try to clean your hands carefully: do not use scrubs or sponges; this will prevent new fish eyes from appearing.
- Eat healthily: eat more raw fruits and vegetables. Try to eat fewer meats, dairy, refined flour and sugar, foods with preservatives and flavorings. All of this will improve your defenses, giving your body the ability to work more efficiently. Thus, not only will you be able to make the injuries you already have disappeared, but it will also reduce the possibility of new ones appearing.
These recommendations can help you, but if you do not notice improvement or do not know if what you have are fish eyes or other types of injuries, it is better that you go to your trusted doctor.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Fish eyes on the hands: why they come out and how to remove them , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.